Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Driving lights in bumper

Go down 
+8
L67
Snowdog
Shintsu
dreww
albertj
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
mr riviera
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mr riviera
mr riviera

Name : Pat
Merit : 0

Driving lights in bumper Empty
PostSubject: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 10:18 am

Hi , ever since hitting a deer with my last Riv , ive been trying to figure out a better lighting solution for our cars
Just wondered what you thought of this idea for a 3.5" module . It would look good i think if you could find a bezel to trim it out with. This is a Hella fog ... id be looking for a driving light module .
I just dont like the look if lights hanging under the bumper

Driving lights in bumper Hella_10
To go here ...

Driving lights in bumper Dscf0012

Driving lights in bumper Dscf0011
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:27 am

Does nothing for me. jmho.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 pm

a few members have put them under the bumper to act as fog lights. i dont see how having more lights will prevent you from hitting a deer though.
definitely dont like the look of them there though.

Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Its always been a thought ... if they were in the bumper with the correct trim ring around them ... idk just threw it out there
i was also thinkin fout the hella FF75's 2x6 oval underneath in the same location , i made some mock up's and put them there , didnt really like it either though
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Consider mounting near the bottom corners of the radiator. You will find a tab in each corner. You will have to figure out how to rig a mount that does not wiggle when you hit bumps and stuff, so mild steel straps are out IMHO.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 12:18 am

My friend has some fogs placed behind the grill in his car. Look discreet but nice. Might try that?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 1:05 am

Spoiler:
Personally, I don't see what's so wrong with this. If you wanted to be different you could put them at the edges. It's just not practical to put them in the bumper - I don't think they'd look quite right either and if you ever even bumped anything they'd shatter or scratch (like in a parking lot). I've not actually seen anyone else here with pics of their driving lights or anything so I don't know what else anyone has done. I certainly prefer the look of having those extra lights as opposed to nothing though.
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:42 am

I got the idea from the Bonniville , i looked into putting them behind the grill too , not much room unless i wanna cut alot out .
I drive a lot of country roads at night im looking for light output

Driving lights in bumper Bonnie11

Driving lights in bumper Bonnie10

im sure youve seen theese before ...
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 am

uno buted on hes wife's Bonneville the lights beheind grill. did not look that bad. and the lights worked good even when they where beheind grill.
Driving lights in bumper R41761z992z2h5d1u4i9
you may truy the same whit the riv. this way you wount spoil the look
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 am

I like that snodog ... we dont have the room though ...
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Theres a guy on a forum i go on who did it
Driving lights in bumper Rivsig2cy2
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 3:21 pm

I think the way the hood opens up would make mounting lights there rather difficult. Plus I don't really think it looks too good, JMHO. The only time grill mounted lights seem to work well is if you have a truck or a car and then you have those off-road/rally style lights. The kind where you sometimes have four or six lamps to light up the road. A bit overkill but it's a certain look, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 pm

uno actualy ha on hes Buick Park Avenue circle high beam lighs beheind grill tho whit angel rings. looked good. and was well hided. just much safer to drive at night whit finlands long nights at winter.
truyed to find the picture.
was not hard to install relly, just need a long wire and reley.
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 5:41 pm

L67 im sure thoose behind your friends grill are "cool" im not going for the "coolness factor" i want light output
Maybe i should have a truck where i can put 4 100 watt blasters ...
When your doin 65 down a back road with your hand holdin the stick back to keep all 4 on ...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 6:05 pm

[quote="mr riviera"]i want light output quote]

get a 4300k HID kit
If you need more, get a kit for the highs
Back to top Go down
mr riviera
mr riviera

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 6:21 pm

turtle man ... i have 4300 hid ... i love em , but they suck too ... when ya switch from low to high and back ya gotta go thru the warm up cycle every time ... leaves you effictivly blind for several seconds . not good when your at speed ... i gotta hold the stick now when i drive just so thew dont go off when i need my highs . ive thought about takin em out but i love em for drivin thru town and such
dont know if i could go back halogens , when i drive my wifes commander im like wheres the light ???
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 8:29 pm

...Why does everyone's girlfriend/wife/special one always drive a UV? Sorry, an off-topic thing that really pisses me off. Women can't drive for shit and it's hardly as if they need stuff that's high-mass and gigantic they can't handle and hurt someone else. Selfish bitches...

Get HID driving lights. They're none too cheap but they'd solve that problem for you. PIAA makes some really nice ones for $500 I think. Bright little suckers and they'd light up the road well enough if you used the brights and had to wait for them to warm up again. If lighting is a big enough issue for you that would solve your problem (not the mounting part though).

A related question, how reliable is your HID kit? Where'd you get it? I've been looking into getting one I'm just unsure where to get one that isn't a total cheap POS. I see lots of people who get ones with bad ballasts and that's no good.

Here's the link to a HID Driving light:
PIAA RS800

And here's an HID Fog light:
PIAA 610
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 1:51 am

do not drive holding the lever back. i know it keeps highs and lows on same time but it may burn the contacts in lever. i holded it back tho for like 5-10minutes. and whn a car came i could not take them off, to much electricity goes through the contacts. they are meaned to hold on just highs or lows on time. i had the same problem whit the lights, i buted hids in low's. and i wanted to make somethign to keep the lows allways on even when switching to highs. i have a solusion. but i forgot to make it done. i will go today to my dad's place and maybe finish what i started long ago. had allready installed one + wire, and reley but did not finish the contacts. when i get it done i can make a electric skeem of the wiering. then you could do the same.
Back to top Go down
Boattail Bill
Fanatic

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 2:49 am

Shintsu wrote:
...Why does everyone's girlfriend/wife/special one always drive a UV? Sorry, an off-topic thing that really pisses me off. Women can't drive for shit and it's hardly as if they need stuff that's high-mass and gigantic they can't handle and hurt someone else. Selfish bitches...

Hmmm, just noticed this. Shintsu, you'll be really impressed - - NOT - - but my girlfriend has an SUV too - - and a FORD to boot!!!!! Not really a giant one though - - an "Exploder", more-or-less the same size as my Jimmy.

But hey, after seeing me for a few months she now has a '97 Riviera, too!!! Learning slowly, but surely!!! (maybe) - - she's a flaming liberal Obama supporter - - - and doesn't want to hear anything else. - - sigh.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 am

Bill, the Exploder is bigger than a Jimmy. And Ford UVs are the prime target of my dislike. Low quality junk and of all UVs clearly the worst. All it needs is a quick view of craigslist to see a ton of them with tranny problems, blown motors, and other screwed up problems. And see, you now see the idiotic thing I see too. Bitches all love that idiot, which is why I view most women as idiots who support him until they prove to me they don't. Let's just say I'm not a friendly driver to women anymore.

I have seriously contemplated purchasing this shirt:
Spoiler:
Here's a link to some more stuff you might appreciate...hehe...
Anti-Idiot Pro-American stuff at Cafepress

With all that Off-topicness said, please carry on.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 pm

i did it now on my riv today. thinked a skeem out...and buted some wires and relay. now my lows stay on even when i switsh on highs. made many pictures tho of installing and some video clips..
will make a writeup maybe later if anyone is intrested of it.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Snowdog wrote:
i did it now on my riv today. thinked a skeem out...and buted some wires and relay. now my lows stay on even when i switsh on highs. made many pictures tho of installing and some video clips..
will make a writeup maybe later if anyone is intrested of it.

That's actually a good idea. I deal with the same problem of being left in the dark after using highs for a while and switching to regulars, and the worst thing is that if my ballast starts to go then sometimes one of the lights won't even turn on. If it's not so hard, I'll do this relay thing too. Post a writeup, please.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm

btw found uno's Park Avenues pictures what he used to have.
he had those lights beheind grill. dos not look that bad?
Driving lights in bumper P8040554
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Man Snowdog, where do you get all these American cars over there (Namely Buicks)?

I don't think it looks bad but I still prefer the lights under the bumper myself. I'm sure they light the road up fine in that position it just seems a little cooler when they're visible.

I kinda think this look is cool
Driving lights in bumper Labrador-2007-085

This one is a bit much:
Driving lights in bumper IMG_25931

Looks good:
Spoiler:
All these are like the cool rally cars:
Spoiler:
I wonder what the Riv would look like with some excessive secondary lights? Maybe a couple of big ol' round lamps to compliment some fogs? I'm not sure it'd look any good due to the Riv's looks but it is a neat idea.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Haha, the Buick looks pretty good, but those cluster lights only look good on trucks and old boxy euro rally cars. It's completely out of place on that modern-styled Nissan IMO.

Ford RS200 Cosworth is where it's at! What a formidable car it was in its time...

Driving lights in bumper Ford%20RS%20200%20Geoff%20Page%20Maldon

Driving lights in bumper 1986%20ford%20rs200%20l%20f
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights in bumper   Driving lights in bumper Empty

Back to top Go down

Driving lights in bumper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next