Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.

Go down 
+7
GMfan1111
Abaddon
dreww
deekster_caddy
Rickw
AA
TonySmooth89
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Rockers , Intercooler , or both?
Sell rockers , buy Intercooler
Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Just change the gaskets , install rockers.
Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Vote_lcap46%Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 46% [ 6 ]
Keep both , have less money , but have one hell of a fun riv.
Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Vote_lcap54%Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 54% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 pm

AA wrote:
You don't hear any ping if the PCM has switched the timing tables - you just get slower. Scan for timing advance at WOT, that will tell you something.

Is the 110 octane unleaded? If not, your O2 sensor might need replacing.

O2 sensor??? What's that??!!!! wink
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:41 pm

March 10, 5:41PM and 15 seconds... Mark.

(so we'll know how much time passes before your engine goes "poof") wink

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:04 pm

AA wrote:

Add E85 and drop even MOAR pulley sizes and disconnect your KR sensors. neutral

And its only 5:04pm here Aaron.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:47 pm

AA wrote:

I'll find my receipt for the pulley and we can start the countdown from there....2008 sometime. nono

LMAO Travis rotf
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 pm

How many 1/4 mile passes do you have on the 3.2"?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Scott, your losing cred. We all know you know better than what your doing.
Unless of course you really do want to blow it up or it at least see the results of detonation and replace the engine with an L32.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Someday something will fall into my lap.
How prophetic are those words.?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 pm

I haven't had the chance to take it to the track yet.....I drive it everyday and none of my friends will go with. I beat the hell out of it on the street, and have an uncountable number of 30 to 100+ mph WOT runs on the freeway (hard to come to a stop on it).
Obviously you guys don't believe me, so if I lose cred I lose cred....I too have read the numerous faq write-ups and spec sheets about the pulley sizes and what they do and don't do, and what you should and shouldn't do. HOWEVER, it is my car and am willing to face any "unforeseen" consequences. I'm here to get questions answered and help all of you as much as I can, and I would never tell any of you (or anyone for that matter) to experiment with your car without telling you about such "consequences". It's working for me and has been for 2 years. I've been testing this car and engine since the day I bought it. I simply wanted opinions with this post, not the "judgement" that it appears I'm getting. If I lose cred over stuff I've done to MY car, then surely hell would freeze and purple polka dot pigs would be ice skating on it......
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Scott,
Nobody want's to criticize anybody, at least not that i know of. And I personally look forward to your post's as you have more real world experience with wrenching on these than I do.
So please don't give up. look forward to you continuing to post your thoughts and offering your help to those that need it.
Rick
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Scott,
Are you OK. Did not mean to Dis anyone if I did.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Rickw wrote:
Scott,
Are you OK. Did not mean to Dis anyone if I did.

You said I was losing cred. Honestly, that pissed me off....so I needed to make my point. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I'm being honest. And it was said that I "know better"....of course I know better, and so does every engine builder/programmer/tweaker on the planet, but we get nowhere until what we've done blows up our face and we get to try again, and again.........

Apologies for adding drama to the thread..
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:38 pm

Again, I'm sorry and sincerely did not mean to piss you off in any way.
It was a poor attempt at joking around.
I have my experience of testing the limit's of internal combustion engines of a different kind and am still learning the 3800.
Rick
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks, I feel better Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 3gears now.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:09 am

!!! love love boohoo boohoo boohoo burnout
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:22 am

OH, Robo, I should have have known you'd be around for some background music / noise.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 am

Glad that's over with.

Scott, I asked about your 1/4 mile experience for two reasons. Daily driving with a small pulley is one thing. I did it for a long time. Repeated WOT runs is another thing. You can drive everyday with an undersized pulley for years, but sustained WOT activity will reveal the need for supporting mods - sometimes with disastrous consequences.

The other reason I asked is for track times. A Riviera with your mods should be in mid 14s. If not, the PCM is pulling timing to compensate for too much boost. This raises the question: why risk running an undersized pulley when you could be just as fast (or faster) with an appropriate pulley size.

I learned this lesson at the track, running a 13.9 ET with the 3.2" w/ 6º KR, then swapping to a 3.4" pulley and running a 14.0 ET with 0º KR (on a hot engine). I know I could have hit 13s with the 3.4", and without the unneeded boost & KR.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:36 am

AA wrote:
Glad that's over with.

Scott, I asked about your 1/4 mile experience for two reasons. Daily driving with a small pulley is one thing. I did it for a long time. Repeated WOT runs is another thing. You can drive everyday with an undersized pulley for years, but sustained WOT activity will reveal the need for supporting mods - sometimes with disastrous consequences.

The other reason I asked is for track times. A Riviera with your mods should be in mid 14s. If not, the PCM is pulling timing to compensate for too much boost. This raises the question: why risk running an undersized pulley when you could be just as fast (or faster) with an appropriate pulley size.

I learned this lesson at the track, running a 13.9 ET with the 3.2" w/ 6º KR, then swapping to a 3.4" pulley and running a 14.0 ET with 0º KR (on a hot engine). I know I could have hit 13s with the 3.4", and without the unneeded boost & KR.

Understandable. I am eventually going to the track to get en ET before I do the throttle body and the supercharger I just bought.....and then again after. I'm going to guess an ET of low 14 now, maybe lower. I know what I beat on the street....I do appreciate all the concern. I did this "build" for the street, as the track is about 2 hours away from me. Sorry if I "blew up", I'm havin a bad week.

I'll post the pics of what some A-HOLE decided to back into me and do later.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.   Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cam/Rockers or Intercooler - Poll.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2