Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

A/C compressor install - who done it?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

A/C compressor install - who done it? Empty
PostSubject: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:22 pm

Okay, I dont see any write ups on this and my compressor has crapped out AGAIN! Just in time for summer too, it was freaking 86 degrees today!

Anyways, I knew it was coming because the compressor, barely 3-4 years old, was leaking compressor oil. Now it wont turn on, Im guess as a safety feature due to low oil in it.

My questions are:
1. When you replace the compressor, must you decompress the AC system? If so, then Im out another 100+ bucks just to get it evaped and refilled, which I JUST did last month cause I replaced my AC condensor.

2. What is a good brand AC compressor to get. Im tired of shitty products crapping out on me! Fixing AC's every other year is ridiculous and expensive!

I swear to god, Im about to pull the entire damn AC out of this thing.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

I haven't done it b/c I don't have a freon recovery/vacuum station. I know very well how to do it. Get a Delco A/C compressor if you are worried about quality. The online GM vendors should have a fair price (it's still higher than everybody else). You can probably get a new compressor from aftermarket brands, 4seasons is the only one I have experience with, they used to have good quality stuff when I sold it (15 yrs ago)

The procedure is
recover freon
replace compressor
vacuum system for xx hrs (12?)
add freon (oil if the compressor didn't come pre-oiled)

It's in kind of a tough spot, but not impossible. Probably easiest on ramps, some bolts from top some from bottom.

When you replaced the condensor did you also put a new drier in? If not you should have. And, unfortunately, you should replace the drier again now, because you are opening the system up again.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:10 pm

They sell kits now that consist of the Compressor, Receiver/Dryer and orifice tube-filter assy.
That is what was used on mine two years ago when i had a compressor go bad and start leaking externally.
Flushed and vacuumed system to be sure of no contaminates and or leaks.
Works good now, hopefully last long time.!!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 6:38 am

Oh yeah, thanks Rick. I forgot to mention the orifice tube needs to be replaced as well.

Anyway, the A/C system really isn't that complicated besides making sure the O-rings aren't leaking and everything goes together clean. Whoever fills it back up - you should ask them to add dye to the freon so you can find leaks later if it crops up.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 12:47 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:

When you replaced the condensor did you also put a new drier in? If not you should have. And, unfortunately, you should replace the drier again now, because you are opening the system up again.
when I did the entire system a few years ago, I did the compressor, condensor and a evap/drier. The whole shebang.

Rickw wrote:
They sell kits now that consist of the Compressor, Receiver/Dryer and orifice tube-filter assy.
That is what was used on mine two years ago when i had a compressor go bad and start leaking externally.
Flushed and vacuumed system to be sure of no contaminates and or leaks.
Works good now, hopefully last long time.!!!

know where I could find one of these kits?

I really want to do this myself cause there are no decent shops in town. Every time I take this car to one, they screw up something else when they half ass fix the original problem. My buddy can find someone with an vacuum system to do the refill for me.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:09 pm

ok, I got a reman. compressor at autozone for about $190. Only found them cheaper on ebay (and not by much) but I like being able to walk into autozone if this one screws up. Also got an orifice tube/filter thing.

Im confused on the accumulator/drier thing. Im looking on a couple parts sites (i.e. rockauto) and both items are listed. The pictures look the same! Are these items the same thing? The direr is about $37 and the accumulator is about $20.

Am I missing something here? Which one do I need?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Good question!

http://www.familycar.com/classroom/ac1.htm wrote:
Vehicles are found to have primarily three different types of air conditioning systems. While each of the three types differ, the concept and design are very similar to one another. The most common components which make up these automotive systems are the following:

COMPRESSOR, CONDENSER, EVAPORATOR, ORIFICE TUBE, THERMAL EXPANSION VALVE , RECEIVER-DRIER, ACCUMULATOR. Note: if your car has an Orifice tube, it will not have a Thermal Expansion Valve as these two devices serve the same purpose. Also, you will either have a Receiver-Dryer or an Accumulator, but not both.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:44 pm

well, that kinda helps. but still dont know which one to get.
do you know if the riviera is said to have a "dryer" or an "accumulator"? The GM dealer has it listed as a dryer, maybe I should go with that.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:56 pm

I would get one at the local auto parts store so you can match it up.
They are not that expensive. If you order on line and have to return it, it's just going to be a hassle and cost you more $$$.
Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Rickw wrote:
I would get one at the local auto parts store so you can match it up.
They are not that expensive. If you order on line and have to return it, it's just going to be a hassle and cost you more $$$.
Just my 2 cents.

i would do that, but they dont carry it...dealer only item.
Funny how these autoparts chains carry "common replacement items" which the compressor is. But its common knowledge that you replace the accumulator/dryer with the compressor but they don't carry that. gripe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor install - who done it?   A/C compressor install - who done it? Empty

Back to top Go down

A/C compressor install - who done it?
Page 1 of 1