Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan

Go down 
+32
brettfavreisamonster
Z-type
al_roethlisberger
99Rivman
highwaywarrior
chitown_riv98
denim
rk0ehn
Mr.Riviera
robotennis61
BMD
moldymac
Abaddon
crlombardi69
VJD2
Sweepspear
jonly
GMFreak8
Eldo
1998 Riv
T Riley
BillBoost37
AA
deekster_caddy
bigtommy83
ibmoses
perbe
Graymodeler
'96reese
albertj
Rickw
98riv
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 1:29 pm

Can an aluminum pan handle the strain when you have to jack it up to change the belts?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Yes, This pan is much stronger than the Tin one and I wouldn't hesitate to jack on it.
Part of the problem with jacking up the engine with the tin pan is both deforming the pan and also the rubber gasket gets crushed from the weight of lifting.
Both of those issues go away once you install the aluminum one. This pan is cast with multiple reinforcing ribs for strength and has a pad cast in it with threaded holes in one section for engine / trans mount attachment points for a different application.
That's why I suggest finding the aluminum pan that doesn't require a gasket. It has a very thick mounting flange and only requires a thin coat of sealant.
There is a specific GM sealant that the guy supplied with my pan.
I left the remainder of the tube at the shop where I installed it, so I don't have the GM number. I'll have to remember to grab that tube just for the P/N and I'll post it on here.
Keep watching out on Ebay motors for a 3800 aluminum oil pan. They pop up from time to time.
This was one of those surprise fixes for a chronic oil seepage issue and an added bonus was increased oil capacity.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm all for a stronger pan, but now I see a different problem: No pan gasket = no windage tray...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 7:25 pm

The windage tray is built into the aluminum pan.
You also have to be sure you get the oil pick up tube from the engine that the pan is removed from.
So, to sum it up: you need the aluminum pan, pick up tube and sealant.
The one I got, he even included the oil level sensor.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Oil Pan Replacement   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:37 am

So I forgot to get my car inspected last month so I went to the shop to get it inspected before I get a ticket, and while up on the lift I was looking over the underneath of the car. The oil pan is fairly wet and looks to be slowly leaking from around the seal and looks to be really rusty and almost as if the pan itself is starting to leak. So I added that to the list of things that are going wrong and need to get it replaced. It's not leaking enough to drip, but it's enough to keep it wet around the pan.

My question is has anyone done this before and what pan and what gasket did you use?

I was looking around and there is the normal gasket, and then a molded rubber gasket. Just wanted opinions on which one I should use or not use.
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 am

I used the oem gasket. the job wasn't bad once I got it past the pickup assembly.

no experience with the rubber one, but I have a little over 100k on the replacement gasket.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:56 am

I used an OEM AC Delco one.
I seem to recall Rock Auto listed it as the improved, 2nd design version.
I don't see it listed there any longer.

Easy job.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:59 am

jonly wrote:
I used the oem gasket. the job wasn't bad once I got it past the pickup assembly.

no experience with the rubber one, but I have a little over 100k on the replacement gasket.

I assume the standard gasket is something like this:

Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 6
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:59 am

Sweepspear wrote:
I used an OEM AC Delco one.
I seem to recall Rock Auto listed it as the improved, 2nd design version.
I don't see it listed there any longer.

Easy job.

Is this a common issue on these pans?
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 12:00 pm

no, the normal gasket has the windage shield built in,
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1022038&parttype=5436
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 pm

jonly wrote:
no, the normal gasket has the windage shield built in,
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1022038&parttype=5436

Ok yeah, I was looking at the improved design fel-pro one.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Try this as the final solution. This has turned out be the best mod I have done yet. Especially for the amount of money.
Solved all leaks and seeps. Is completely dry under the car now.
I got the complete setup off ebay for $50.00 shipped and that included the proper pick up tube and a tube of the proper GM sealant. Pan was cleaned and ready for install.
I think I got lucky, but billboost tells me they are available all the time on ebay.
So, if you have a little time to wait, try and find the aluminum one that doesn't require a gasket, only sealant, or the other one that has an O=Ring type seal instead of sealant. Both don't leak.
Make sure it comes with the oil pump pick up tube though, as they are different, because the windage tray is built into the aluminum oil pan.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/aluminum-oil-pan-t5960.htm?highlight=aluminum+oil+pan

Prior to me installing this new oil pan I had installed new gaskets/seals on the tin pan twice over the course of a year trying to solve the problem, then Bill told me about the aluminum solution and I am so glad he did.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 pm

So I did my first oil change on the Riv yesterday and its a f-ing mess under there! Leaks galore!

Does anyone have anymore info on this aluminum pan that is supposed to fix all the leaks? I need to replace the gasket and pan ASAP, I can't stand the leaking!

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

VJD2 wrote:
So I did my first oil change on the Riv yesterday and its a f-ing mess under there! Leaks galore!

Does anyone have anymore info on this aluminum pan that is supposed to fix all the leaks? I need to replace the gasket and pan ASAP, I can't stand the leaking!

Any help would be great. Thanks.

This should help https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/aluminum-oil-pan-t5960.htm?highlight=aluminum+oil+pan.

Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Cool thanks! It shouldn't be that hard but I just don't search hard enough sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 11:36 pm

I did the Aluminum Pan and am very glad I did.
About the cost of a regular oil pan gasket will get you a used alum. Pan complete on Ebay.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 am

I've been reading and it sounds great to me, which is why I'm def interested in it.

The only concern I'm running into is finding a matching pickup for the pan. Also I'm not seeing much on Ebay.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:23 am

Then search the local junk yards and Pic'n'Pulls for the year range that is spelled out in the Aluminum pan thread.
I found what I needed on Ebay in a day.
Sometimes you just need to keep looking at ebay every day and you'll get what you need cheap.
I got lucky, the day I asked about it, Bill forwarded the 2 different sites you see on the other thread and I bought without haggling right away. One other thing is that Bill has since told me that pans that are grooved for an O-Ring type seal are just as good as the pan's that have no provisions for a gasket other than sealant, when it comes to potential leaks.
I have several thousand on the one I got without a seep or drip. Everything including the trans pan is dry.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to getting one.

If anyone comes across one let me know!!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I emailed BillBoost to ask him for any tips on the search criteria on EBay for an Aluminum Pan and he said he wasn't quite sure other than to look at 3800, Pontiac, Buick, etc.
He also mentioned that he just bought one recently from Ed Morad.
Might want to call Morads and see what they can do to help.
Phone # 216-798-6902 or e-mail Ed himself at GTPED@msn.com or ED@Moradpartscompany.com
Good Luck and you won't be sorry you made the switch. They all should have come this way in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Wow, thanks for going out of the way. I appreciate it. I'll keep my eyes peeled and def contact Morads. I keep forgetting about them.

I'm excited, I hear great things so far and stopping the oil leak(s) is going to be a huge relief for me.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Rickw wrote:
Try this as the final solution. This has turned out be the best mod I have done yet. Especially for the amount of money.
Solved all leaks and seeps. Is completely dry under the car now.
I got the complete setup off ebay for $50.00 shipped and that included the proper pick up tube and a tube of the proper GM sealant. Pan was cleaned and ready for install.
I think I got lucky, but billboost tells me they are available all the time on ebay.
So, if you have a little time to wait, try and find the aluminum one that doesn't require a gasket, only sealant, or the other one that has an O=Ring type seal instead of sealant. Both don't leak.
Make sure it comes with the oil pump pick up tube though, as they are different, because the windage tray is built into the aluminum oil pan.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/aluminum-oil-pan-t5960.htm?highlight=aluminum+oil+pan

Prior to me installing this new oil pan I had installed new gaskets/seals on the tin pan twice over the course of a year trying to solve the problem, then Bill told me about the aluminum solution and I am so glad he did.

I truly, truly appreciate this. That's what I will do. It's not to the point that it's dripping yet, but you can definitely tell that it's wet. The oil pan also has some rust forming on the bottom of it. I wasn't even aware of the aluminum pan.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Does this aluminum oil pan replacement allow for you to still use the pan as a spot for jacking the engine?

Anyone have a link to one on ebay currently that looks good?
Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

Name : Chris L

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 3:12 pm

I knew about it but haven't been able to find one yet! I replaced the oil pan gasket w/the fel-pro replacement and have no problems yet. (Knock on wood)
Back to top Go down
http://crlombardi69@yahoo.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan   Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement and Aluminum Oil Pan
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next