Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley

Go down 
+28
deekster_caddy
Colten225
Eldo
robotennis61
Abaddon
Rickw
robertwolf86
Jack the R
TonySmooth89
Buapo
BoattailBob
98riv65lark
SpaceBar
1998 Riv
1998rivman
Mr.Riviera
TType_Riviera
turtleman
AA
Jason
NO 4 EVR
98riv
SoCal Riv
pwmin
urbsnspices
T Riley
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
T50. I hope you realize that changing the belts on these cars is a bit involved unless you have cut the lower spacer in half.
Go on...

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t725-write-up-replacing-belts-and-pulleys

Basically, the motor mount and engine bracket gets in the way. The bracket is fastened to the engine by 3 studs/nuts, and 2 spacers. The first time you do this requires unbolting the mount and lifting or dropping the engine so you can get the stud and spacer out. The stud hits the frame otherwise, and you cannot get the spacer off the stud. If you cut the spacer in half, you can back the stud out enough to drop out half the spacer, giving you room to squeeze the belt through. Read the linked write up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
charlieRobinson wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
T50. I hope you realize that changing the belts on these cars is a bit involved unless you have cut the lower spacer in half.
Go on...

Basically, the motor mount and engine bracket gets in the way. The bracket is fastened to the engine by 3 studs/nuts, and 2 spacers. The first time you do this requires unbolting the mount and lifting or dropping the engine so you can get the stud and spacer out. The stud hits the frame otherwise, and you cannot get the spacer off the stud. If you cut the spacer in half, you can back the stud out enough to drop out half the spacer, giving you room to squeeze the belt through. Read the linked write up.

Wow. How naive am I?! Should I take this opportunity to replace pulleys too? Dammit, I thought this was going to take the T50 socket and 5 minutes!!!@ RARAWRARR! shout
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:11 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
charlieRobinson wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
Go on...

Wow. How naive am I?! Should I take this opportunity to replace pulleys too? Dammit, I thought this was going to take the T50 socket and 5 minutes!!!@ RARAWRARR! shout

I would. The first time you do this is the worst. After that, not so intimidating. You can easily replace 3 of the pulleys. It's the 4th one down low that is blocked by the bracket. Murphy's law says that's the one that will start squealing after you do the belts.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Dammit, Murphy! You're right. I should replace all the pulleys. 142k miles and I hardly doubt they've been replaced before.

Wait, this crazy drop the engine belt change is for the alternator belt, right? I am doing the supercharger belt...
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:15 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Wait, this crazy drop the engine belt change is for the alternator belt, right? I am doing the supercharger belt...

Both belts. Sorry Charlie no

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Quote :
Dammit, I thought this was going to take the T50 socket and 5 minutes!!!@ RARAWRARR!
Haha! Enjoy. I'm on my 3rd set of belts!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :
Dammit, I thought this was going to take the T50 socket and 5 minutes!!!@ RARAWRARR!
Haha! Enjoy. I'm on my 3rd set of belts!
GOB BOBBIT! shout It's too cold to be doing crazy shit like this for a belt swap!!!@#!@! WHY GM!?! WHY!?!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
yo yo yo. I put my 3.6" on yesterday and now I have some nasty belt chirping going on. At first I suspected it was some SC oil that must have dripped on it after cracking the snout off but now im not sure. It wasn't making any noise before I put the new pulley on. I figured if it was just oil then it would fix itself by now and it hasnt.

Any tips from the pros? Do I just get a new belt or am I missing some obvious like usual?

headbutt Moved my belt from the middle ribs to the outside ribs and BLAM! No more chirp. joy ZZP MPS, by the way.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I need help, my mps, the s3 does not have the bolt in the middle just a threaded hole in the middle. the two part puller is bending my pulley up and I don't want to ruin anything
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Soooo nobody is going to help meeh? ? sick bounce 
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 pm

What kind of puller are you using?

If the pulley is hard to come off, you can heat it up with a heat gun. Just don't heat the S/C itself...just the pulley
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Im renting matt07 puller from him but I had a two jaw puller but the pulley is getting bent out of shape...and the series III sc dont have a bolt in the middle of the pulley itself its a plastic tab and a threaded center...how do I bolt the mps on if it's nothing there to bolt on too
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 10:42 pm

The mps doesn't bolt on. The hub is just pressed on like the pulley is. You'll use that threaded hole with the tool to press it on. That threaded hole is only there for pulley installation, not to hold it on.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 am

Ok thanks dont got a lil worried that's all don't want to mess up my big supercharger over something little
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 am

Yup, you can't use a jaw puller on any of the m90 scs. M62 is keyed with a bolt on the end, all m90s are press on. Hopefully you didn't pull the pulley too far bent with the 2 jaw, or its going to be a PITA with the proper puller. To pull off properly it needs to be supported across the back so it pulls straight. Jaw pullers, even 4 jaw will mangle it.

And when using the threads in the snout to squeeze the MPS hub on, be sure that whatever you are screwing in there has nice clean threads.

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley   Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: How to Remove/Install SC Pulley
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5