Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Series 2 transsmision question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Blown_99_Riviera
Amateur

Name : Kevin
Merit : 0

Series 2 transsmision question Empty
PostSubject: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 1:17 am

I have a 99 riviera with 136k on the dash and the tranny is slipping badly and needs replacement or rebuild i cannot afford rebuilt at this point and there is a tranny for sale out of a 01 regal with 85 k on it for 250 locally the car is not supercharged and i think the tranny is a 4t65e and not a 4t65e hd i was wondering what the difference is. i am guessing mor clutch material in the clutch packs like say non hd has 8 hd might have 10 i am sure the tranny will bolt up and work but i am wondering if it will hold up to the abuse of a superchrged engine. i drag race every so often at the race track and the car is stock besides my 4" pvc fwi and 8mm plug wires and magnaflow 3" cat converter, caddi sts strut tower brace i want to put a 3.4 pulley on and plog and intense computer and was wondering if the tranny will takes the beating with normal day to day driving and if there is a tranny removal how to page i kno i suck at puntuation and spelling but its not english class its a forum any input is helpful yay
Back to top Go down
Blown_99_Riviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 1:26 am

i forgot to mention there is a 96 riviera with 143k on it that has blown head gasket near me for sale for 800 bucks that is said to have a rebuilt tranny 5k miles ago i will ask the guy for documentation if i get more serious but i need to know if the tranny wil, work in my 99 as well cuz if i could get the whole car for 800 i would part it out and build the motor but id rather go with the 85 k tranny for 250 i think seeing is how i have all next week of next week from spring break and i have no job i am a full time college student
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 6:59 am

The '96 had the 4T60E, your '99 has a 4T65E. Two similar but different animals. Get the car for parts if you feel like it, head gasket is not a tough job (and it's probably really the LIM gasket, constantly misdiagnosed...) Or the interior can be parted out if it's in decent shape... Most of the parts are reusable on your car if you've thought of having a parts car around...
Back to top Go down
Blown_99_Riviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:17 am

ok well thanx for the info on the 96 i dont have that extra cash layin around for the whole car and now i am glad because i dont feel pissed that i wont get it seeing how the tranny is different i will call the guy today about that 4t65e tranny out of the regal
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:33 am

To best know trans compatibility check out the info Dave Norris has posted at his stie www.tripledgeperformance.com

I believe 2001 had an internal PNP switch and can't easily be swapped.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 am

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/

forgot an E
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Series 2 transsmision question   Series 2 transsmision question Empty

Back to top Go down

Series 2 transsmision question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: