Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Sunroof small issue

Go down 
+5
97rivsc
ibmoses
albertj
manofmany
DEMonte1997
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Sunroof small issue Empty
PostSubject: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 am

My roof doesn't close correctly. If it is vented and I try to close it, it will go straight past the closed point to opening all the way.... and vice versa. Anyone have this happen? Know what I might need to replace to fix this? It will stop in the vented and open positions but when I try to bring the roof back to when it is closed completely, it goes past that point. frown It's not the biggest problem because I will probably just get used to it and time it correctly. lol
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 pm

As far as I know thats the way it's designed. I hate it. You just have to get the correct timing down.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Really? That's so odd.. neutral
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 5:42 pm

You are either not using the control right, or the position sensor broke.

What to try: Open the sunroof. Then push the toggle switch to close the sunroof. Hold it until the sunroof quits moving the first time. Then get out and look at the sunroof.

It should be closed.

When you are looking at it from inside it looks funny when closed.

If it is not closing right you can probably get a body shop to fix it.

Good luck.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm guessing the position sensor brok. The SR will close but you have to stop pressing the button at the exact right moment or else it will go past the closed position and right into the vent or open position. Now I need to figure out where the position sensor is...
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Unless you are OCD like me and have a hard time ignoring stuff like that I would just use the switch as it is until it quits working... rock it aint broke yet, so dont fix it...

In case I forgot.... welcome to the board beer hi

I like your cars...ummm

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 am

This must be pretty common. The 4 Rivs with sunroofs I test drove and the one I bought are all like this. I usually have it open rather than vented though
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks Bert!

I'm going to leave it for now-too many other things to fix that take priority. smile
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:04 pm

hey does anyone here get a really loud annoying clicking sound when their sunroof is trying to close/open/vent. It seems to me like it doesn't have enough power to open it without me helping it out. anyway im hoping I just need to get a new actuator
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 5:14 pm

might be a good use of time to ask about it at a bodyshop (not necessarily the dealer body shop). I read somewhere that most of the sunroofs on cars built in the US are by Webasto (see http://www.webasto.us/oem/en/oem.html) and if that's the case I bet the switchgear (limit switches and what not) are similar.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
tech408
Rookie
tech408

Name : tech408
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 11:37 pm

I've been told by someone who knows, that the grinding sound and the sunroof not parking in the correct closed position, are both caused by a loose drive motor assembly.
The headliner needs to be removed to get to the motor. I'm going to take it apart next week and let you guys know. BTW, don't let the motor grind, it will permanently damage the gears.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 11:58 pm

as far as ive learned ,you push the button till the roof closes then push the button till it is in the vented position then push again the back part of the button and that should close it all the way. did that help? it confused the hell out of me at first too.....
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:18 am

I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be one touch. When I hit the back button for it to retract completely you just tap it once while it's in the closed position and it goes back on it's own. I can't remember this now without having done it in awhile but I think the same goes for closing it. To pop it up you just push forward. It makes a pretty distinctive sound when it closes but again this is stuff so minor I can't even remember because I do it so unconsciously now I pay no attention to how I hold the button.

Since we're on the topic of sunroofs, one thing that sucks on mine is the little cover on the inside. I'm not sure what happened but one day the cloth on the side of my sunroof cover managed to get into one of the motors for the sunroof and charred up a small part of my sunroof cover. I couldn't make the sunroof close either and the slider wouldn't move. I finally forced it out of the way but ever since whatever little rods or whatever are in there that make the sunroof catch on it and pull it back when you open it all the way are broke now. If any of you know what I'm talking about help me out here - I'd love to fix this because it's so annoying. If I just pull the thing with my hand it feels like where it should be on two tracks it's only on one and one side can accidently come too far forward or back and that it can stick from time to time. The sunroof itself is 100% functional but when I retract it to the full open position the glass doesn't catch the little plastic slider and pull it back everytime (And sometimes it does but it doesn't pull it back forward when I close it so I have to stick my fingers in there and force it back out).
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 am

97rivsc wrote:
hey does anyone here get a really loud annoying clicking sound when their sunroof is trying to close/open/vent. It seems to me like it doesn't have enough power to open it without me helping it out. anyway im hoping I just need to get a new actuator

It may just be sticking. Its very simple to find out if that is what is causing the problem.
Use some silicone grease(very light coat) to lubricate the outside edge of the sunroof. You can buy the grease in a tube or a spray can. If you get it in the tube just use your finger to apply it all the way around the outside of the sunroof. If you can only find the spray, just spray it into a cloth rag for a few seconds and then use the rag to apply the silicone.
When we first got the wife's 99 Riv the sunroof was sticking when you attempted to open it. When you mashed the button to open it you would just hear a loud click and it would not open. But you could get out of the car and bump the sunroof (center/rear area of the glass)with your hand and it would pop into the lowered position that is required to allow it to retract. Try it, it cant hurt anything.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:01 pm

My SR finally bit it a few days ago. It won't go back up into the starting position without getting stuck and making a really loud grinding/clicking sound. I tried lubing the seal and that did nothing. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. lol
Back to top Go down
Jayrydingslab
Amateur
Jayrydingslab

Name : REMY
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 pm

mines is making the same clicking sound like when it opens and goes all da way back it makes a grinding noise iam trying to figure it out too and its loud when i try to close it it does daa same thing help please
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm

if it opens and closes properly but is just noisy you need to clean and lubricate the mechanism -- open it then use dry gas or "LECTRA MOTIVE" spray (get that at a car parts store) to clean the mechanism. Then use a lubricant such as LubriPlate or a "white lithium grease" to lubricate the mechanism - any lube that does not drip should work fine.

You also may need to remove the headliner and tighten or reattach the motor.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunroof small issue   Sunroof small issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Sunroof small issue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Exterior-
Jump to: