HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6696
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks Scott

We earlier discussed whether the PO's trans was original or not, I do not recall the answer. I also don't recall if this issue applied to the 4T60E as well as the 4T65E.

As formy original recalling, I guess I was wrong. I thought there was a TSB circa 1997 or 1998 about the '96 4T60E transmission hunting into/out of lockup when cruising in 4th along long road incline at slight (like 3% or 5%) inclination. Some (primarily repair/aftermarket) woud call it "chuggle."

My bad.

Albertj


Last edited by albertj on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks Scott.
This also points out that the tranny TSB's are for shifting/engagement conditions, not steady-state driving...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
avatar

Name : robotennis
Age : 55
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5559
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:25 pm

i dont know if this thread follows another,that i cant find,where you "crack" the case and wedge out the solenoid and replace it,and button her back up without removing the tranny. my question is,if thats done,whats to prevent the case gasket from cracking and the tranny having to be removed anyway? from what ive seen,these gaskets are pretty fragile....
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4162
Merit : 171

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
i dont know if this thread follows another,that i cant find,where you "crack" the case and wedge out the solenoid and replace it,and button her back up without removing the tranny. my question is,if thats done,whats to prevent the case gasket from cracking and the tranny having to be removed anyway? from what ive seen,these gaskets are pretty fragile....

Robo....LINK.
1st page, bottom. Steve took a pic of it for us.

Back to top Go down
Online
robotennis61
Guru
avatar

Name : robotennis
Age : 55
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5559
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Abaddon wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:
i dont know if this thread follows another,that i cant find,where you "crack" the case and wedge out the solenoid and replace it,and button her back up without removing the tranny. my question is,if thats done,whats to prevent the case gasket from cracking and the tranny having to be removed anyway? from what ive seen,these gaskets are pretty fragile....

Robo....LINK.
1st page, bottom. Steve took a pic of it for us.



thanks. but dont you think the gasket could break? or is it one of those hard plastic types?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6696
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 pm

This is kind of out of left field, BUT, I also recall the 4T65E had a flash upgrade GM issued to the PCM to correct "deceleration stall." I wonder if that is what is really going on here. With the 4T60E there appears to be no TSB - BUT - I have heard that doing a reflash of the PCM (as if a new PCM was being installed) fixes this kind of problem.

IF curiosity is driving you this LINK may be interesting.

Further thoughts?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4162
Merit : 171

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Not sure about the gasket on a '95 Robo. Sry man oops

Albert that's interesting, although I think that fix might be a rare one....but possible. That's one of those problems where you do everything you know how to do, and follow every flow chart perfectly, then "try" the reprogram. I've had it happen before, just not with a transmission concern.

I did some more searching for a '96. I found 2 other bulletins regarding something close to this concern. One of them is related to Intermittent neutral or loss of drive from 4th gear. The other is about Torque Converter Replacement. I can't post it, but the very first line of it is this....

The Torque Converter should be replaced under any of the following conditions...
--The vehicle has TCC shudder and/or no TCC apply

Obviously it's considerably longer than that, but I find it funny that it's the first line of it.....
Back to top Go down
Online
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Rick
Age : 39
Location : CT
Joined : 2009-03-03
Post Count : 1429
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:51 pm

Eldo wrote:
AA wrote:
Quote :
I let off the gas for a tic and then get back on the pedal far enough where the TC will not lock up until I've finished the incline or whatnot.
This is exactly what adjusting the PCM program does, except it happens automatically - you don't have to physically let your foot off the gas.

I still think Rick is describing the same KR symptom that Jason, Scott and I were, not a worn tranny...

BTW, mine did it from the time I bought the car at 69,000 miles.
BTW, again: What does FDR stand for? teach

I agree with Aaron. If I actually sat down with my PT and played with the tune, I'd be able to augment the TC lockup tables which would make driving the car easier. Will get around to that eventually.
oops

Mark - FDR=final drive ratio

Pretty awesome being able to go 80+mph and only be revving at 2500rpms. smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6696
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not sure about the gasket on a '95 Robo. Sry man oops

Albert that's interesting, although I think that fix might be a rare one....but possible. That's one of those problems where you do everything you know how to do, and follow every flow chart perfectly, then "try" the reprogram. I've had it happen before, just not with a transmission concern.

I did some more searching for a '96. I found 2 other bulletins regarding something close to this concern. One of them is related to Intermittent neutral or loss of drive from 4th gear. The other is about Torque Converter Replacement. I can't post it, but the very first line of it is this....

The Torque Converter should be replaced under any of the following conditions...
--The vehicle has TCC shudder and/or no TCC apply

Obviously it's considerably longer than that, but I find it funny that it's the first line of it.....

I think this one (the TCC replace TSBs) has to do with the TCC lining glazing (yet one more reason to change the fluid under the severe schedule whether in severe service or not). the TCC lining glazing up can happen. I am not sure if it was a change between carbon fiber and kevlar or different suppliers of supposedly the same lining.

I've also learned of more than one 'chuggle' fixed by simply disconnecting the battery and letting the PCM forget the TCC lockup adjustments, but I think a reflash makes more sense in the long run by resetting everything *and* altering the bounds of adjustment.

We shall see.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:11 am

Quote :
I've also learned of more than one 'chuggle' fixed by simply disconnecting the battery and letting the PCM forget the TCC lockup adjustments, but I think a reflash makes more sense in the long run by resetting everything *and* altering the bounds of adjustment.
This may have in fact happened, but for some other reason. I don't see how the PCM could forget the TCC lock-up values. Disconnecting the PCM may reset fuel trims and DTCs, but if it changed the program I'd be very surprised.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6696
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:33 am

AA wrote:
Quote :
I've also learned of more than one 'chuggle' fixed by simply disconnecting the battery and letting the PCM forget the TCC lockup adjustments, but I think a reflash makes more sense in the long run by resetting everything *and* altering the bounds of adjustment.
This may have in fact happened, but for some other reason. I don't see how the PCM could forget the TCC lock-up values. Disconnecting the PCM may reset fuel trims and DTCs, but if it changed the program I'd be very surprised.

Reflash woud update the program. Disconnecting the PCM will not. PCM won't forget the TCC lockup values but will reload the base tables I understand.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
avatar

Name : BMD
Location : Canada
Joined : 2009-04-28
Post Count : 1161
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:39 am

Eldo wrote:
Is it possible that what you're feeling is 'surging' and not 'shuddering'?

It sounds to me like you're describing something that my car has always done, except that it's the engine, not the tranny.

My car will shift into OD and lock up the TCC at 42MPH. At any speed from there up to 50+MPH, if I take a moderate hill and "drive for economy", my engine will surge from the 'lugging' of the engine and the spurts of knock that make the PCM yank out a bunch of timing, then restore it, then yank it again. Something that someone else might describe as shudder...

If I lean into it harder and provide Power Enrichment, or tap the brake or release & reapply the throttle to disengage the clutch, the problem disappears. Before I opened up my intake & exhaust plumbing, it would even do it at higher speeds on one certain hill on the freeway.

I have Californicated 91-octane swill, so I wasn't surprised - this symptom will also disappear when I mix up a tank of 93.

Does this sound like it might be what you're experiencing? Also, what octane are you running?

So did you find a permanent solution in your case Mark?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:53 am

Well I suppose you could say that... Especially because I have an L67 in the land of piss-water 91-octane, I just don't lug my motor on those uphill areas. As I posted, the problem is not as constant since I opened up my downpipe and my intake tubes - and when I mix a tank of 93-octane I have no problem at all!

Thus, I just tap the brake or go "up-fast-down" on the gas pedal to release the TCC when I'm in one of those overly economical lugging modes...
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
avatar

Name : Mike
Location : Chicago
Joined : 2012-06-04
Post Count : 250
Merit : 18

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:40 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
As was said, if your car is on an incline going about 41 to even 50mph and the TC is locked, you'll get some surging on a worn trans. If it's stuttering/bucking really bad, I assume worn or malfunctioning TCC solonoid. These cars (esp the L67 powered ones) have a pretty crazy FDR which causes a lot of load on the motor when the TC initially locks in 4th gear. If you're on a decent incline, it will cause this surging. I've noticed this in 5 3800 powered cars to date. My solution? I let off the gas for a tic and then get back on the pedal far enough where the TC will not lock up until I've finished the incline or whatnot.

A fluid change couldn't hurt as well for the time being unless it's bad enough where you think parts need to be changed.

HTH frown

I think I'm having this problem on my 95 series I. I noticed after I get to 45-50 the car shifts and then starts bucking wildly until I let go of the gas pedal and then it goes back to normal for a few seconds until the gear shifts and then it starts doing that again. Is this the TCC solenoid?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:22 pm

sniperdude wrote:
DEMonte1997 wrote:
As was said, if your car is on an incline going about 41 to even 50mph and the TC is locked, you'll get some surging on a worn trans. If it's stuttering/bucking really bad, I assume worn or malfunctioning TCC solonoid. These cars (esp the L67 powered ones) have a pretty crazy FDR which causes a lot of load on the motor when the TC initially locks in 4th gear. If you're on a decent incline, it will cause this surging. I've noticed this in 5 3800 powered cars to date. My solution? I let off the gas for a tic and then get back on the pedal far enough where the TC will not lock up until I've finished the incline or whatnot.

A fluid change couldn't hurt as well for the time being unless it's bad enough where you think parts need to be changed.

HTH frown

I think I'm having this problem on my 95 series I. I noticed after I get to 45-50 the car shifts and then starts bucking wildly until I let go of the gas pedal and then it goes back to normal for a few seconds until the gear shifts and then it starts doing that again. Is this the TCC solenoid?

If you tap on the brake pedal (while holding your other foot steadily on the gas) does the bucking stop? tapping the brake pedal should release the TCC. I had this bucking only under medium throttle in 4th in my '94 Regal (3800) and it was a cracked spark plug. Don't rule out a misfire as the root cause - the bucking is a symptom.

Typically the TCC will either lock or it won't, which is why I bring up the importance of making sure it's not a misfire.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
avatar

Name : Mike
Location : Chicago
Joined : 2012-06-04
Post Count : 250
Merit : 18

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 am

Hey Derek, I just tested that out on the way to the dealership.

Tapped the brake pedal while holding the gas down and the car stopped bucking.

It's the same effect as letting off the accelerator.

The car has a bad misfire condition as well, which is getting checked out at the dealer right now.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?   Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:14 pm

So the misfire could be the cause of the bucking, which you are feeling when the TCC is locked... see if it continues after the misfire is taken care of.
Back to top Go down
 
Transmission Shudders... Easy Fix?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» It never ends.. Transmission and TCC Problems
» Write-Up: 4T80e Transmission Install
» new member with transmission woes
» A745 Transmission Fluid Change
» 4 speed manual Transmission

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: