Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stereo system error codes

Go down 
+5
Ship
Rickw
albertj
ibmoses
jimmyriv
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

Stereo system error codes Empty
PostSubject: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Does anyone have a list of meanings
for the error codes for the stereo radio
system?
My tape is jammed and I've
seen a E13 a lot....... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 4:52 pm

I found a source.........
Link
yay
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: CD Player Error Message...E 20 ?   Stereo system error codes EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:11 pm

CD player has quit on the 99 Riv.

Approx. ten seconds after inserting a CD it gives the Error message E 20 then ejects the CD.

I searched and found a list that basically said try a new CD, clean the CD then if the problem persists to have the unit serviced...

Any tips?

Thanks

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Here is the best (high quality at relatively low price) repair shop I know of. They will repair your unit or swap for an overhauled unit from their stock. You probably want an overhauled unit.

http://www.unitedradio.com/docs/AF72-01d.pdf

YOu can browse them at

http://www.unitedradio.com/

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 am

Just something to try before sending it out for exchange.....

Did you try removing power to the radio for a while and then restoring power to see if it clears the code.?
You can remove power by removing the fuse, BUT FIRST you must be sure the radios Anti-Theft feature is disabled.
You can tell if the Anti- Theft feature is on or off by the small red LED light located below and to the right of the volume control knob.
If the light flashes continuously with radio off then the feature is enabled. You need to disable it first. Look in your owners manual for the procedure.
If you don't disable this feature, and remove power to the radio, when you reinstall the fuse you will be locked out of the radio completely and render it useless. Then you will have to bring it to the Stealership and have a Tech ll hooked up to clear it.
If you see no light flashing at all on the face of the radio then the feature has already been disabled.
At this point remove fuse for a about an hour and plug it back in to see if your CD code has cleared. If it hasn't then ship it out per Albert's advise for overhaul exchange.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Ahem...

actually, you can disable and reenable Theftlock on our radios yourself.

The newer GM factory radios are programmed to each vehicle's VIN, will only lock up if you try installing them in a different car whereupon they see a VIN mismatch. The only way around that particular issue is with a GM TECH II tool or the GM service software.

Ours is an older Theftlock, and to re-enable the radio you need a telephone and these instructions:

http://www.articlesbase.com/automotive-articles/how-to-unlock-gm-theftlock-radios-842374.html

Or these:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77426

I am embarrassed to admit I actually had to do this (the 800 number thing) once, I forgot to disable Theftlock before I disconnected the battery during maintenance on a Saturday evening before a road trip, and needed to listen to some 'continuing education' material while on the trip, for work. I think it is very kind of GM to permit this work around, and I am sure that it saves dealers a lot of hassle. It really helped me in a pinch.

The funny thing about Theftlock is... it works okay, but I wonder whether there was ever a street market for these radios?

I also think that I or someone else may have already posted such instructions on this editboard. Don't remember...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 1:04 pm

I Paid the dealer for the Tech ll time. I thought the 800 number was only available to the dealers.
I remember it being used occasionally while i worked at a GM dealership.
I personally never had to use it so that's why I thought it was a dealer only thing. Or maybe i was confused about the early systems and the newer Anti-Theft systems that require the dealer mech to get a code via the 800 # and using the Tech II to unlock a radio.
Oh well, learn something new every day.
Only worked in the service dept for a about a year as Service Manager, my first stint at a GM dealership, before partnering with the owner on another business venture. That position, the Service Manager, was to keep me busy while we developed a solid business plan.
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Bert,
A few years ago my wife drove a 96 riv that would occasionally display the e20 code from the cd player. It would happen more often after a rain. I seem to remember that it indicated there was moisture in the player or on the cd itself (she stored her cd's in the car). When this would happen, she'd take a cd from the house, insert it in the player and it would play. Just some food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Bert,
With all the humidity this time of year....have you ever had this issue pop up before that you can remember. If the lens in the CD player gets fogged up for any reason you'll get a code but it would go away once you've had the AC on for a while and dehumidified the interior.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Rickw wrote:
I Paid the dealer for the Tech ll time. I thought the 800 number was only available to the dealers.
I personally never had to use it so that's why I thought it was a dealer only thing. Or maybe i was confused about the early systems and the newer Anti-Theft systems that require the dealer mech to get a code via the 800 # and using the Tech II to unlock a radio.
Only worked in the service dept for a about a year as Service Manager, my first stint at a GM dealership, before partnering with the owner on another business venture. That position, the Service Manager, was to keep me busy while we developed a solid business plan.

The newer systems don't have this work around.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

I pulled the fuse for an hour and it still gives a E-20 error message.

I guess its "had the lick" and needs repaired.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Bought a replacement unit from Morads and had a local body shop owner install it, probelm solved. clap

Now if I could just figure out how to repair the heated seat element/wiring(driver side)...

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 10:07 am

Mine is fussy too.
If temps are cold, good luck getting even a new CD to play.
If it is a hot summer day I can play anything I want.
Most of the time, I have to re-insert the cd several times before it will play.
bonk
Cleaning it helped some.

I'm going to replace it at some point. Running over even the slightest crack in the road will often make it skip, which is far more annoying than E20. gripe
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 am

Sweepspear wrote:
Mine is fussy too.
If temps are cold, good luck getting even a new CD to play.
If it is a hot summer day I can play anything I want.
Most of the time, I have to re-insert the cd several times before it will play.
bonk
Cleaning it helped some.

I'm going to replace it at some point. Running over even the slightest crack in the road will often make it skip, which is far more annoying than E20. gripe

You could try this:
link

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 8:52 am

Rickw wrote:

it sort of is dealer only - but our cars are not of interest for this thing and as long as no one's a jerk about it I suspect that GM will leave teh work-around alone. Believe me, if they were not happy about it they'd disconnect the number. Also - just bear in mind that each time you call an 800 number your phone number is logged for the 800 number owner. It would not surprise me if frequent users got callbacks or blocks.

Albert
Back to top Go down
black96sc
Special

Name : Tom
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Concert Sound II   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:43 pm

I am getting an E11 and E13 error code on my CSII. It thinks there is a tape in it and keeps clicking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Unfortunately, my first idea is what happened to mine. I never was able to get that tape out and ended up replacing the head unit.

The FM tuner and CD player still worked for me though.

What year is your car? Please add it to your signature and enable it, so we don't have to keep asking.

Welcome to the site!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Something tells me Tom drives a supercharged '96. I see in my vision... a car painted black. wink

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
black96sc
Special

Name : Tom
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 3:18 pm

How do i add a picture to my profile. I was just able to get a tape to stay in there and actually play. Now i can just hit source to listen to all three options. Thanks guys.

By the way, it sound like you guys sure know how to make these things go.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm

black96sc wrote:
How do i add a picture to my profile.
If you click on the tab up top that says "Board FAQ" you should find the question and answers to what you are trying to do. If you still can't figure it out then post another specific question and I'm sure we'll be able to help.
The answer's to a lot of questions are already documented and they are more descriptive than I can answer for you.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Tom, read this link, about 1/2 way down will answer your question: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/faq.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stereo system error codes   Stereo system error codes Empty

Back to top Go down

Stereo system error codes
Page 1 of 1