Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ghost88
Enthusiast

Name : Abe
Merit : 6

Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 3:46 pm

I saw theres a writeup somewhere here but wanted to know if anybody had any speciific advice wen it comes to pulling the dash.

Has anybody had any clearance issues when it comes to the mounting depth of the dash cavity? The D3 has alot of wiring in the back so im scared i might have a problem having the unit flush with dash. Any advice is appreicated!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 4:37 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Also in this thread I took a few pics, but mostly of wiring and hacking the dash to make enough depth:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/help-me-pick-a-new-head-unit-and-speakers-please-t3812.htm
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 5:02 pm

As to specific advice... Be careful There's a lot of plastic and it can be brittle. I trial fit my head unit several times before and after cutting... definitely had to cut some more out of the back after the first round.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Just curious how the install went. Any pics?
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

Name : Abe
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 12:09 pm

The install went pretty smooth but the only "difficult" part was removing the metal backing plate behind the stock radio so all the extra wiring could fit. I only had access to a dreml so i drilled alot of holes across the bottom of the plate that using it like i grinder i pushed through all the holes. Left me with a jagged edge but i eventually came back with a real grinder, grind d it smooth and put electric tape over it. Now theres plenty of space for all the RCA, Antenna adapter, GPS pug, ipod plug and what not. Here some some pics:

Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? Riv7
Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? Riv6
Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? Riv8
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 pm

It definately looks great. It also looks stock which I like a lot! How does it work with the steering wheel controls and did you need a connector adapter to plug into the stock connector? If so, where did you get one?
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Any chance you could reload the pictures? The images are not displaying. I want to eventually put in a Avic-Z3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??   Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Installing a Pioneer D3 next week...any advice??
Page 1 of 1