Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

a fix-it question

Go down 
+4
IBx1
AA
Mr.Riviera
driveofyourlife25
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
driveofyourlife25
Special

Name : erik pierce
Merit : 0

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:14 pm

i have a 97 buick riviera supercharged
i have already replaced the fuel pump cost me 700 dollars
and now i have a steering problem to tackle
when the vehicle is stopped the wheel is really hard to turn like the power steering is broken i checked the fluids their full. but when i go above 5 mph or so the steering is fine. can someone tell me what is wrong or tell me a good mechanic in the east bay close to martinez, ca thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:36 pm

by "fine" do you mean it is easy and can be turned lock-lock with 1 finger?
maybe check the magna steer fuse?

could be the pump is dying. get a bottle of lucas PS fluid and replace the fluid in the reservoir (siphoned out) with the lucas.

Back to top Go down
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:39 pm

when the vehicle is moving it steers great i dont know about perfect because the vehicle has always done this
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:45 pm

when sitting still, if you put the car in N and rev it a little bit, does the easy steering return? or is it still difficult?

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Check: front tire pressures below 30 PSI can make the wheels harder to turn.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySat May 23, 2009 11:26 pm

no im pretty sure thats not the problem
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySun May 24, 2009 8:00 am

There's a magnetic variable steering assist feature on Riviera's that makes it very very easy to steer at low speeds, like for parallel parking, and then firms it up at higher speeds. May be an electronics issue.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySun May 24, 2009 8:33 am

IBx1 wrote:
There's a magnetic variable steering assist feature on Riviera's that makes it very very easy to steer at low speeds, like for parallel parking, and then firms it up at higher speeds. May be an electronics issue.

magnasteer.
it may have a fuse, or it may have come unplugged. check the manual b/c i dont remember where it is at.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySun May 24, 2009 9:51 am

On my 98 the Magnasteer fuse is in the IP fuse panel marked HVAC CONT (10 amp fuse)
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySun May 24, 2009 7:17 pm

From the information I've seen, the Magnasteer takes electricity to reduce the boost. The default or failure mode is full boost...
Back to top Go down
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptySun May 24, 2009 11:55 pm

its not the fuse i just tried that but i dont understand eldo response can someone clarify what he says i should do. i am very mechanically inclined
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 1:36 am

Erik: it does not sound like you've owned this Riv very long.

The Riv has an early implementation of a then-new power steering system from GM called "Magnasteer" which used an electric servo to increase steering firmness and on-center feel whle driving at speed. The service manual has details, like what speed Magnasteer kicks in.

Point is you need to check the Magnasteer fuse, at least. You also say you are mechanically inclined - so it is time to use those skills. Check the PS pump, pulley and belt and tell us what you find. Maybe there is not enough belt tension at idle. Also check lines for leakage. Also check lines to see if a previous owner put a power steering filter in the line that for some reason is now clogged. For instance, Cardone provides filters with its better reman pumps; many mechanics actually install them (I would too, but I am not a mechanic...) and it may be that over time it's become somewhat full of whatever. A parts store that carries the Cardone pumps (Auto Value chain comes to mind) should have no trouble getting a replacement filter for you if this turns out to be the problem. One line of such filters is Magnefine: see http://www.magnefine.com/.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon May 25, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 6:43 pm

driveofyourlife25 wrote:
its not the fuse i just tried that but i dont understand eldo response can someone clarify what he says i should do. i am very mechanically inclined

What I was implying is that a blown fuse wouldn't cause your problem, it would give you boost at all speeds. It is more likely a 'regular' hydraulic problem with the rack, the pump, the flow control valve, or as mentioned above, the belt tension.
Back to top Go down
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 8:24 pm

my mechanic commented it maybe being a pump or the rack n pinion with out looking at it. i will take it in tomorrow to get serviced what i meant is that im not good with automobiles but computers no problem. the fuse i replaced that did not appear to be the problem unless i checked the wrong fuse i changed HVAC CONT 10

the pump does not appear to be leaking no leaks no fluid leaks the strange part is that it works just when i start the car in the morning until i start moving then when i brake try to turn the wheel thats when there is the problem. it wouldnt be the pump right because it only happens when im stopped?

the belt seems to have no rips or tears but would that matter if its still in one piece? thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Since you are taking it in for service, and you are not doing the work yourself, what we say maybe does not matter so much.

THe fuse you changed has nothing to do with the power steering. It is the line fuse for the air conditioner control panel, whcih is in the center of the dash and controls the Heat, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC).

There is a good chance the mechanic is right.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:31 pm

can someone tell me what the fuse is called for magnasteer and what it looks like blown its a 97 buick riviera supercharged
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:38 pm

best way to check fuses is to take an ohm meter across all of them. you may even find fuses you didnt know were blown wink
check the ones under the back seat, engine bay and fuse panel.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyMon May 25, 2009 11:33 pm

albertj wrote:

THe fuse you changed has nothing to do with the power steering. It is the line fuse for the air conditioner control panel, whcih is in the center of the dash and controls the Heat, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC).
Albertj

As I said, I think the problem is hydraulic. I had a pump that worked perfectly, but was leaking just a bit around the shaft, so when everything was apart on the front of the motor to change the water pump, we replaced the steering pump. As hard as these systems can sometimes be to bleed, I played with that sucker for a week and couldn't get low-speed boost out of it. I had to go back and replace that brand new defective pump...

However, on at least '97s and '98s the "HVAC CONT" fuse is the correct one. I just looked at the schematic, plus it makes physical sense - the Magnasteer control module hangs on the right side of that climate control plenum in the center of the dash.
Back to top Go down
steve314159
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 3

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyWed May 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Here is what your problem is and what you should do: Your power steering pump is broken, bad, worn out. You need to replace it with one from one of the local discount auto parts stores - a rebuilt one is fine. The one I bought for a series 1 was $54. It is a pain to replace but any competent mechanic could do it in 1 or two hours. Call around to local shops and get price quotes on how much they want to "replace the power steering pump".

$700 to replace a fuel pump is way too much. Don't go back to that place. Assuming, of course, that you can access 96-99 from the trunk.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyWed May 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Oh, and you never told us if you can turn the wheels by putting it in neutral and revving up to 1500 RPM...
Back to top Go down
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyThu May 28, 2009 12:38 am

as a matter of fact it does work above 1500rpm what does that mean?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:29 am

I would say the pump needs replacement.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyThu May 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Yes, the problem is that the system just doesn't make enough boost at idle anymore. While the worst case scenario would be a bad rack, the pump, which also contains the flow-control valve, is more likely - especially given the experience I recounted earlier with a brand new pump that was crap at idle...

There is also a service bulletin regarding the pressure hose, but it is more for groaning and shuddering during parking maneuvers than outright 'dead'.

I'll attach that TSB to another post, but there IS one last easy trick you can try: go to the parts store and buy the small can of Trans-X:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00030BFFG/ref=asc_df_B00030BFFG809625?smid=ADG953YR6NRBF&tag=dealt3888-20&linkCode=asn

After removing as much fluid as possible with a kitchen baster or battery filler or other suction device, put the maximum amount the label allows into the pump. This stuff cleans valves and swells shrunken seals. The front seal of my Turbo 400 that only runs a few hundred miles a year started leaking 3 years ago, and after I added a pint of Trans-x it's still drip-free...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyThu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm

The somewhat related TSB I promised

I don't know your mileage, but if the Trans-X trick doesn't work, and you find an honest shop (not the one that did the $700 fuel pump) you should probably have them change the pressure hose while they're in there... It's a PITA job, so you might as well do it while the pump is out already.

Steering Vibration/Shudder/Moan During Parking Maneuver on Dry Pavement -- Install Power Steering Pressure (Inlet) and/or Return (Outlet) Hose Assembly -- #99-02-32-007A (Jan 31, 2001)

1995-99 Buick Riviera

Condition:
Some customers may comment on a steering vibration, shudder or moan noise when steering during parking maneuvers on dry pavement.

Correction:
Install a new power steering pressure (inlet) hose assembly on the following vehicles:

* 1995-98 Buick Riviera
* 1997-98 Buick Park Avenue and Ultra

Install a new power steering pressure (inlet) and return (outlet) hose assembly on the following vehicles:

* 1999 Buick Riviera
* 1999-2001 Buick Park Avenue and Ultra
* 2000-2001 Buick LeSabre
* 2000-2001 Pontiac Bonneville

Diagnosis:
In diagnosing the above listed vehicles, do not overlook other obvious repairs prior to replacing the hose(s).

1. Verify that the power steering pump reservoir is full.
* If fluid level is low, fill and check for leaks.
* If power steering system has air in the system, perform the "Bleeding Air from Power Steering System" procedure as described in the Power Steering System sub-section of the Service Manual.

Important:
When performing the "Bleeding Air from Power Steering System" procedure, it is important that the front of the vehicle is supported by the lower control arms. If the vehicle is not supported by the lower control arms, the procedure may cause the strut bushing to dislocate and cause new concern.
2. Verify that the accessory drive belt is in good condition and that the pulleys are not bent or damaged.
3. Verify proper belt tension and operation of the belt tensioner.
4. Check for power steering hose kink or rub-out out conditions.
5. Check for good engine idle and correct engine RPM.
6. Check to see that the rear transaxle mount does not have a plastic assembly aid installed which is used for assembly purposes. If the assembly aid is installed, remove the assembly aid and install the rear transaxle mount.
7. With the vehicle on dry pavement, maneuver the vehicle in parking positions. If the steering vibrates/shudders or moans in this test, replace the power steering pressure hose and/or the harmonic balancer.

A defective harmonic balancer on the 1995 Buick Riviera can influence steering vibrations after power steering hose installation.

Important:

When installing the pressure hose on the 1995 Buick Riviera, pull down on the pressure hose at the rear of the engine or bend the hose to allow clearance between the hose and the front of the dash.

Back to top Go down
driveofyourlife25
Special

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question EmptyThu May 28, 2009 11:49 pm

52 k miles low miles i think
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

a fix-it question Empty
PostSubject: Re: a fix-it question   a fix-it question Empty

Back to top Go down

a fix-it question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next