Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak

Go down 
+33
1997riv
Geo.Tyler
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
Mattwa
98riv
denim
LARRY70GS
Z-type
ghpcnm
2000ws6transam
Jelorian
Eldo
robotennis61
DarkVader
albertj
playa
Abaddon
manofmany
mr riviera
ibmoses
L67
3.8 Riviera
Rickw
BMD
xxsupergman25xx
deekster_caddy
iggyy
racinfan
Sag
AA
Mr.Riviera
ender467
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Abaddon wrote:
You don't have to do all that work with the motor mount and bracket assembly. It's still a little PITA to do, but that entire bracket certainly DOESN'T have to be removed.

When you take the passenger wheel off, look just by the Crank Sensor. There's a sleeve that attaches that bracket to the engine. It's an 18mm nut attached to an E8 bolt. You still have to take the center bolt out of that big mount and lower the engine, but you can remove that bolt and sleeve to get the belts out. You don't even have to unbolt the rest of it....
Maybe I will look into doing it myself. I don't have a heated garage so it will have to be done in the snow on my driveway. I'll let it go for now and keep an eye on the belt and I'll do it in the spring unless it gets bad.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Quote :
I got home and did some looking to find the belt is chirping right at the supercharger pulley. If I spray water on the ribs it goes away and comes and after about 5 seconds. So after doing some research I think its either the belt worn or the tensioner. If you look at the supercharger pulley from straight on in front of the car it seems like the belt moves out to get to the tensioner pulley, but I'm not sure why.

The result of the water test suggests it is a belt alignment issue, not a belt slip issue. Usually this means one of pulleys is misaligned, causing the belt to go off track. Your observation seems to confirm this, so changing the belt or tensioner probably won't fix (these would cause slip, which would get worse when you spray). You need to check for which pulley is causing the misalignment.

Did the previous owner swap the SC pulley for aftermarket, or is it OEM? OEM is 3.8" dia.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
werdstrave
Enthusiast
werdstrave

Name : Drew
Merit : 1

PostSubject: temp   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Hey all, after reading through this thread I just wanted to state a few of my issues. I have a '95 doing the same CHIRP CHIRP sound as described above. Also goes away for a while when I spray belt with silicone. As far as I can tell, it's coming from my super charger pulley which is the Eaton M62 keyed correct? This noise would be caused by a worn out bearing in the pulley?

I replaced the belts so right now it seems logical to do the pulley. Is there a direct replacement part #? (Don't want to go bigger/smaller etc. just want the exact same pulley). If not, any recommendations on an exact replacement?

Is there anyone who has a 95 who has removed the pulley with a regular pulley puller? Is this possible to do on the 95 with the supercharger on? Does the keyed configuration change up removal/install? I really would like to find a write-up or walk through video as I understand this is a sensitive area of the engine I don't want to foul up. Thanks!

- Drew
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Drew, I wouldn't assume your snout bearing is bad because of a chirping belt. Although it may sound like it's coming from the SC pulley itself, usually chirping is from a misaligned pulley, whereas a bearing will make a growl or howling sound. Have you tried removing the belt from the SC pulley and turning it by hand? You can feel a bad bearing this way. Also, don't spray lubricants on belts. Use water to test for chirp.

Some info on SC pulley removal here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t112-write-up-how-to-install-an-aftermarket-sc-pulley-series-i

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
werdstrave
Enthusiast
werdstrave

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Did the water test and it went away temporarily. I'm going to get the mechanics stethoscope on amazon like you suggested and pinpoint which pulley is out of line since I'm not 100% sure it's my SC pulley. Is it possible to bring a pulley back into alignment by tightening or other method? Or is is just easier to buy a brand new one? Are there bearings in the pulleys?
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 3:36 pm

AA wrote:

Quote :
I got home and did some looking to find the belt is chirping right at the supercharger pulley. If I spray water on the ribs it goes away and comes and after about 5 seconds. So after doing some research I think its either the belt worn or the tensioner. If you look at the supercharger pulley from straight on in front of the car it seems like the belt moves out to get to the tensioner pulley, but I'm not sure why.

The result of the water test suggests it is a belt alignment issue, not a belt slip issue. Usually this means one of pulleys is misaligned, causing the belt to go off track. Your observation seems to confirm this, so changing the belt or tensioner probably won't fix (these would cause slip, which would get worse when you spray). You need to check for which pulley is causing the misalignment.

Did the previous owner swap the SC pulley for aftermarket, or is it OEM? OEM is 3.8" dia.
Supercharger pulley is factory. The belt moving out thing I noticed is nothing, another supercharged 3800 that doesn't chirp does the same thing. The guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner 7 years ago (they put 40,000 on it) and he said its done it in the cold every winter they've owned it even after he tried a new sc belt
Back to top Go down
hask2112
Rookie

Name : Hank

PostSubject: Sqeak coming from engine compartment by SC/ALT/BELTS 97 Riv SC   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 11:25 pm

Car has been running excellent and smooth. Starting today there is a sqeak coming from engine when engine is on.. not sure if its alt,belt,idler pulley,sc coupler etc.. It is a 97 Riviera with the 3.8 SC. Before i bring to mechanics I would love to know what is causing sqeak. I see a lot of folks have had to replace SC pulley. Last year before we owned it it had the alternator and water pump replaced . It now has around 170,500 miles. Love the car.. What is the recommended way to properly determine the origin of this new sudden sqeak. We live in NY and today it was 17 degrees,,Insanely cold..Happy New Year to all
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 am

slip off the belts and turn the pullies by hand - you'll find the squeak.
Back to top Go down
hask2112
Rookie

Name : Hank

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 am

Sounds good.. Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
werdstrave
Enthusiast
werdstrave

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:44 pm

After finding some spare time and doing further inspecting with my stethoscope, I have determined the chirping is coming from my misaligned power steering pump pulley. I can actually see it wobbling around. Does anyone know if I can just replace the pulley from the pump or do I have to go through and remove the entire pump housing? No fluid loss yet so I would love to just replace the pulley and be done with it.

Also, I couldn't find anything in the forum on replacing the pump in general despite some posts saying there was a write up on it in the long "Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys" thread. Anyone know of a write up or procedure for this?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Drew, this thread has been split and merged to our Power Steering FAQ thread. Please continue the discussion here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t4631p90-faq-power-steering-pump-hoses-noise-problems#181631

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 12:39 am

Hask2112 wrote:
Sounds good.. Thanks for the help

BUMP - did you find it?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 8:12 am

Question! I've been fighting a belt noise (chirp chirp, not sqqueeeeee) since soon after I put the engine in my car. It's on the main drive, not the s/c. I have done the water test, and it proves to be unreliable. The chirp will kind of go away, but then have a lower whine instead for a couple seconds, then chirp comes back. It is far worse when it is cold or damp. This morning it's awful. I'm embarrassed to drive my car to work. It's LOUD.

I noticed my tensioner pulley seems to stick out WAY further than the other pulleys. I laid a ruler across the PS pulley to tensioner, then alternator to tensioner, and the tensioner is definitely 1/8" or so out. I thought this wasn't a big deal since it's a smooth pulley, and the belt can just ride where it wants to, right? Can smooth pulleys be misaligned? There is no play at all, and it spins very freely. Do they make pulleys of the same diameter and arbor with a different offset?

Other thing I noticed is the PS pulley moves back and forth a very tiny bit, maybe a 1/16"th or so, but there is no "wobble". Could this be causing an issue?

ALSO, Since a different noise comes out when I spray water, I figured changing the belt might help. I bought one of those gatorback belts that claim to reduce/stop belt noise. Well, when I went to go take out that stud on the bottom of the motor mount, the star end of it busted off, so now I have nothing to grip to. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 8:32 am

Re: the smooth idler, it can be proud, as long as the belt isn't hanging off or right on the inner edge. If so, it can wear a line in the belt, and will separate in short time.

If PS pulley is moving in and out, that could be the source of your chirp.

Make sure AC compressor is mounted tight!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 9:38 pm

Well, not sure if it was the PS pump or the new belt, but IT'S GONE! COMPLETELY GONE!

I swear if it comes back in a week I'm lighting the car on fire.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Dont light in of fire...just bring it here and I'll take it off your hands lol.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 1:32 am

Alright Andrew, I'll let you know in a week or so if you're the proud new owner of another 1997 Buick Riviera or not! Haha
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:28 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Well, not sure if it was the PS pump or the new belt, but IT'S GONE! COMPLETELY GONE!

I've tried all sorts of things. New belt made the chirp go away for about 2 weeks. So did the new Tensioner. Then it came back....get your lighter out flame
Then again, my chirp is from the S/C drive. Soon as the car warms up, it goes away.

Seriously though...I hope it's fixed.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 11:27 am

Abaddon wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

I've tried all sorts of things. New belt made the chirp go away for about 2 weeks. So did the new Tensioner. Then it came back....get your lighter out flame
Then again, my chirp is from the S/C drive. Soon as the car warms up, it goes away.

Seriously though...I hope it's fixed.

The only thing that makes me think this actually worked is other things I've tried have lessened the chirp, but this 100% got rid of it. Also, my PS pump was definitely sloppy, and the new one feels nice and tight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak   FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Chirp Chirp Chirp - Belt Squeal, Pulley & Tensioner Squeak
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8