Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
+3
Rickw
Mr.Riviera
texasfan010
7 posters
AuthorMessage
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 5:38 pm

ok so i have everything i need to replace my stock radio with a new headunit. When i bought the wiring harness and wired it to the radio i was left with an orange, blue, and two black wires on the wiring harness that werent used. The radio would power up but no sound was coming out of my speakers. Im not very good with radios and stuff and im really stressed. i need your help. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 5:53 pm

the only wire i had left over was for power antena b/c i wanted it to stay down. you shouldnt have anything left over.
did you match up the colors or did you use the wire diagram that was given with the head unit?
from what i recal (it's been a year or 2 since i did mine) the color wires are for speakers.(ie blue wire for left front positive, blue with stripe for left front negative)

Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 5:56 pm

i just matched up colors, and after that i had an orange wire left, a black wire, a black wire with a white line on it, and a blue wire
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 6:28 pm

https://2img.net/h/i139.photobucket.com/albums/q286/aasearles/layoutCSII.jpg

Don't know if this helps or not.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm

i would i wire the radio to those speakers then?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm

I don't understand your question.
Did you get a wiring diagram with your harness?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Rickw wrote:
I don't understand your question.
Did you get a wiring diagram with your harness?

X2
you have to follow the diagram that came with the head unit. the colors dont always match up.

Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 pm

^^^ Bingo.

The orange wires are usually for illumination. basically when you turn the lights on the radio brightness dims. I hate that and never use that feature. The remote antenna wire will need to be used to get the antenna up.

You should have an amplifier turn on wire also thats not used.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 pm

well my harness didnt come with a diagram, and i got the head unit for free from my brothers girlfriend.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 pm

the harness probably wont have a diagram as it's just a middle man to connect the car to the head unit. you should be able to find a diagram online through the mfg website. what unit did you get?

Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Some wiring harness will have what they are labeled right on them.

HU wiring is pretty standard anymore. Just the connector harness is the tricky one sometimes.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 8:36 am

You need a harness adapter, and follow the lables that come with it, and/or see the wiring diagram for the stock wires, plus you need to know the radio's harness pinout. It is NOT a color matchup wiring job, different manufacturers use different colors... When you bought the "harness", was it the harness for the radio, or the harness for the Riv?

There are some pics here of the wiring harness during my installation, just so you can reference what it looked like all apart...

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/write-up-installing-double-din-head-unit-in-96-99-riviera-t125.htm
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 pm

i got it guys thanks. I got my headunit working good. I have working subs and stuff in as well but do you guys know where there may be a better ground to use, because im using the same ground that the power antenna uses, and thats a long way from my radio. Also wheres the best places to feed wires from the radio and battery to the trunk? Thanks
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 10:34 pm

The factory plug has a ground wire in it. It should be labelled as such on the harness adapter. Or look for solid black...
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 1:55 am

no im talking about the ground wire on the amp
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 am

I was wondering, which wire is the power antenna wire? and also, after wiring up my head unit, there was one wire left from the car side of the wiring, and none left from the headunit side........I'm confused and my power antenna doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 2:35 am

97rivsc wrote:
I was wondering, which wire is the power antenna wire? and also, after wiring up my head unit, there was one wire left from the car side of the wiring, and none left from the headunit side........I'm confused and my power antenna doesn't work.
yellow
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 am

alright cool thx, o hey did your mom ever let you put your straight pipes back on?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 4:32 am

97rivsc wrote:
alright cool thx, o hey did your mom ever let you put your straight pipes back on?

I could have cut out the muff's whenever... i like my quiet exhaust.. more sleeperish..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 8:46 am

texasfan010 wrote:
i got it guys thanks. I got my headunit working good. I have working subs and stuff in as well but do you guys know where there may be a better ground to use, because im using the same ground that the power antenna uses, and thats a long way from my radio. Also wheres the best places to feed wires from the radio and battery to the trunk? Thanks

If your amp is in the trunk, ground it directly to the battery ground. It's under the back seat, you need like 2 ft of wire... it's really easy. Same for the power.

For the wires from front to back, I ran my RCAs behind the glove box, then down and under the pass. side sill panel to the battery area, then right into the trunk with my pos and neg cables for the amp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!   i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

i need help with my radio!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1