Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Dash Lights Not Turning On

Go down 
+17
dboydakid
rivy96
Rickw
GMfan1111
L67
turtleman
99prixgt
Mr.Riviera
TType_Riviera
T Riley
deekster_caddy
albertj
jax95riv
ZEP
yankeeselke
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
yankeeselke
Special

Name : Dillon
Merit : 0

Dash Lights Not Turning On Empty
PostSubject: Need help with dash lights   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 8:36 pm

When turn on parking or headlights the dash goes dim and heater and the radio lights go out. Have replaced headlight switch and heat sink dimmer on the steering column Also inst pannel. Going to try sentinel next. ??? Any ideas??? Anything could help!!! thanks
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 9:06 pm

Have you checked your fuses on the side panel and under the rear seat? I had this sort of problem about a week ago trying unsuccessfully to install some LEDs in my car. The fuses blew, so that might be your problem.
Back to top Go down
yankeeselke
Special

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I have checked all fuses and they are ok. Have pulled radio and heater control and it still happens. Also when pull on light switch rpms go up too and dash lights go dim.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Alternator?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
yankeeselke
Special

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 9:46 pm

no its not that, its still charging.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 pm

All the fuses? there are several panels.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 pm

what's your running voltage? Poor ground? Battery terminals tight?

Do you have any trouble starting?

It's very hard to help diagnose with the information you've given. Please give us...

I'm guessing you've got a loose ground connection under your dash somewhere.
Back to top Go down
yankeeselke
Special

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 pm

13.7 running voltage. Have run ground wire from battery to engine and frame. Car starts ok. If i test headlight switch and heat sink i can get test light to dim. Also console lights inop. I have gone on line and i know this has happened to other ones. Was a mechanic for 30 years and this is my sons car. Have pulled electric and other connections. When the lights come on the sentinal relay clicks. ????
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 11:07 pm

yankeeselke wrote:
this is my sons car.

did you make him the profile??

Good dad grimace

my dad just referred me smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
yankeeselke
Special

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 pm

no he did, but i have been trying to help him out with this problem for over a month now.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 pm

yankeeselke wrote:
no he did, but i have been trying to help him out with this problem for over a month now.

oh i c......... im sure you'll edventually find out a way..... grimace

sorry i am electrically challenged... confused
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
yankeeselke
Special

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Are you saying that (1) you got the car a month ago and this has always been a problem, or that (2) you repaired something else and this problem came up, or that (3) you/son installed something else and this started happening, or that (4) it (dimming) started happening for no apparent reason?

Please advise... because now that I've read this far my first reaction is sounds like a botched repair of someting else, or a piece of non-factory electrical equipment gone awry -- but I need for you to fill us in on the details. Which (1 thru 4) obtains?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

sounds like a bad ground...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
yankeeselke
Special

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks i think it is the i-pod that went into the factory radio. When i got the original heat sink the box was open. I also replaced the sentinal module and everything was the same. I got a new dimmer heat sink and everything was working fine until my son plugged in the ipod using the tape deck and it blew again. I have got him a JVC stereo with mp3 cap and wondering if there is a way to wire it so the steering wheel controls will work. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 10:14 pm

If the stereo has an IR remote you should look up a pac swix. (google)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 9:41 am

OK, now I get it. Your mods are killing you.

The steering wheel controls work by signaling. Each steering wheel switch puts a different resistance into line with the bus. The radio responds depending on what resistance hits the bus.

As for the iPod/tape deck interface, are you sure there is not something wrong, maybe shorted, in the fake-y cassette gadget?

I have not done this (yet) so it's at your own risk, BUT what you could try is an iPod interface. There is one here:

http://www.theistore.com/peripheral_electronics_ipod2car_pxdp_interface_kit?gclid=CL6Arp3xw5ECFRGCGgodaGBDDg

You need some extra bits to make it work but if you go to the web link there are pointers to the extra bits you need to buy. You may need to delete the "?gclid..." et cetera to make the link work, or start from the root (www.theistore.com).

In general - what you'd do is restore the wiring to straight factory, *no* mods whatsoever. Then with the iPod2car interface and the extra bits, connect the iPod to the CD interface that the Riv radio already has.

I do not know if an ipod2car inteface is available for the JVC head unit, and I do not know if you really want to remove the factory head unit because as I understand it ther eare some non-radio functions that the factory radio does for the car - I don't remember right this second what they are.

Good luck and please let us know how it cones out if you decide to tke the plunge (about $150 and a couple hours).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ricos20002

Name : Robert
Merit : 1

PostSubject: dash lights   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm

I need a wire schematic for the dash lights and dimming circuit. Please. Everything works, automatic lights, Parking lights, and door lights. I was thinking it was a fuse couse the rear defrost doesnt work ether but I checked them and they seamed fine, Im going to check them again headbutt
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 pm

This what you need?:
https://2img.net/h/i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/karmag3/dashwiring.jpg

Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 pm

did you run an ohm meter over ALL the fuses? (console and under seat, even if the label has nothing to do with it)

Back to top Go down
ricos20002

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
did you run an ohm meter over ALL the fuses? (console and under seat, even if the label has nothing to do with it)

every fuse is good. I check under the set, under the hood, and in the dash. Im about to take it back to were I have the alarm put in. But its one of thoes " not responsible for damages" kind a place. so I dont know. What all could it be? Dimmer, light control module, ???

Were is the control module?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:53 pm

if they had the dash apart, could they have forgoten to plug the dimmer back in?

i dont think the rear defrost problem is connected btw.

Back to top Go down
ricos20002

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
if they had the dash apart, could they have forgoten to plug the dimmer back in?

i dont think the rear defrost problem is connected btw.

I was thinking they might of pulled or didnt hook up a ground, couse its just the lights and rear defrost. I dont know. The dimmer is in the swich right? Maybe I could pull it off and test it some how, does anyone know the pin out for it?
Back to top Go down
ricos20002

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I fixed my problem. they call it an "Instrument Cluster Dimmer Switch" $25.92 everything works now. Thanks for everyones help
Dash Lights Not Turning On Wl2uds440003
Back to top Go down
99prixgt
99prixgt

Name : Erik
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 11:36 pm

wow this was all so familiar, I had the same problem on my 95' and i never figured it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dash Lights Not Turning On   Dash Lights Not Turning On Empty

Back to top Go down

Dash Lights Not Turning On
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next