Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Exhaust leak

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie
Merit : 1

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Ok, My riv has aquired an exhaust leak, it seems really close to the rear exhaust manifold, though I've yet to find out if its a cracked manifold, a bad gasket or whatever, is it going to be very harmful to continue to drive the car before getting this seen to?

also.. car is incredibly hard to steer at low speeds, almost manual steer-feeling.

Any thoughts? dunno
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:25 pm

its not harmfull for car to drive if the exhaust is not leaking much..it will make louder noise...if it leaks much it can be bad for fuel economy..cos it will not make not enogh back pressure to the engine..
sometimes it will go black on the area where the exhaust leaks.

steering hard? did you change your tyres for wider ones?
or maybe not enaf oil in power steerin system, should check it.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:02 pm

The biggest threat from the exhaust leak is to you, physically. Find the leak and fix it as soon as you can.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:16 pm

jamie wrote:
also.. car is incredibly hard to steer at low speeds, almost manual steer-feeling.

Any thoughts? dunno

If the two wire connector on the magna-steer ( on top of the steering rack) becomes disconnected it will feel like manual steering.
I know because i disconnected mine to troubleshoot a possible problem.
Or if the Magna-Steer system fails it will do the same thing.
It seems contrary to what the magna-steer is supposed to do, but that is the way the car / steering reacts to a magna-steer inop problem.

Can also be a pump problem, but they usually make a lot of noise when they go bad.

You will need to troubleshoot the possible magna-steer problem per the FSM (too lengthy to do here) and replace steering rack if it is not a wiring or controller issue or live with it as is, it won't hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie
Merit : 1

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

The leak seems very close to, or possibly even the rear exhaust manifold. I can't tell if the manifold is cracked or if its just a gasket, but i've been warned that driving it could cause damage to the valves if it is the manifold that has failed.

As far as the steering goes, I'm concerned for the pump, as I've just repaired a broken belt tensioner, prior to that, the pump could have been on greater strain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Quote :
i've been warned that driving it could cause damage to the valves if it is the manifold that has failed.
I don't think burnt valves would likely happen under normal driving conditions. A rich A/F mix normally burns cooler than a lean mix - up to a point. But what does happen is the extra air drawn into the exhaust stream can fool the O2 sensor into thinking the engine is running lean, so it adds extra fuel. This will kill fuel economy, and could ruin your cat converter quickly.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

Exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust leak   Exhaust leak Empty

Back to top Go down

Exhaust leak
Page 1 of 1