Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends

Go down 
+3
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
manofmany
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends Empty
PostSubject: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:10 pm

Lately when I turn hard right from a stop sign it feels like I've got a flat tire somewhere on the car. It only happens on right turns and the further I turn the wheel and give it gas the worse it feels. However, all my tires are inflated properly and my passenger front tire is even brand new.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Bad struts or rear shocks?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:58 pm

maybe worn out strut bearing or a power steering issue.
could also be bad tie rods or steering rack. we need a little more information to give proper diagnosis.

Year riv and motor should be in your sig btw.

Does it only do it when moving and turning or just when sitting still?
Can you feel it in the steering wheel or in the car itself?
Did this start when you got the new tire?
Has been progressively getting worse or did one day it just happen?
Have you pulled the front wheels to check for anything broken?

sorry to answer your question with more questions happy

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Are you running the factory spec size tires? did you just get new tires?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 am

Factory size tires, yes. Only one is new but it just started doing this. It feels like it in the car itself, not the steering wheel. It just one day happened and has remained consistent.

Bad rear shocks is definitely a possibility. I'm gonna jack up the front end today and check for play in the tie rod ends and take the wheels off and inspect everything. It has been around 95 the past several days and sunny and felt like over 100, that was too hot for me to get out and mess with it beer
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 am

i hear ya. i work outdoors and this past weekend was 109* with no breeze frown

make sure that new tire doesnt have a broken belt or bubble in the sidewall.

Back to top Go down
gordy318
Amateur

Name : Gordy
Merit : -4

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 2:02 pm

LOL....Read the topic and I thought your tires were dirty.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 4:43 pm

sounds like maybe a bad wheel bearing or CV joint. I'd look at the wheel bearing closely, it's grinding noise could be misinterpreted for a flat...
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Thats always a possibility as well. Since the day I've bought the car my TC and ABS lights have been on, but I don't like TC or ABS so I didn't want to fix it.

It got way too hot again today to mess with it. The heat caused my rear view mirror to come off sorta. It's still there and sorta hanging on thanks to the mount. Feel like this damn car is falling apart at 190k lol.

I guess I need to fork out about $500 and do some major maintenance pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm

some days are like that. My mirror fell off during one hot day a few years back. Get the actual mirror glue and follow the instructions to a T. easy fix.

Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Just pulled the front tires off and the DS tie-rod end is trashed. The boot is half gone. The passenger side is headed there. Gonna go pick up some inner and outers and get them changed and fix the mirror. Gonna go get it aligned Monday. Guess when I turn right it puts most of the weight on the drivers side.

These aren't sealed either so they have been replaced before. So much for the OEM expectancy of 150k miles bonk
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:08 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:21 pm

I was actually just reading that smile Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I've done a fair share of tie-rods and they are always a pain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends   Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends Empty

Back to top Go down

Tire scrubbing feeling - Bad Tie Rod Ends
Page 1 of 1