Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!

Go down 
+9
T Riley
ewolfe0050
AA
Jack the R
deekster_caddy
albertj
1998 Riv
Rickw
robotennis61
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 pm

the front as far as i can feel is responding well to this simple mod. while there is still a seat of the pants movement, i feel that is the way soft control arm bushings that are deflecting more now that the surrounding area is stiffened up. easy fix ,paeco industries out of alabama will fabricate bushings from delrin nylon for around $40 per. super cost when you consider the cost of delrin and the tooling required to lathe them down to the desired dia. the#18 forward body mounts( what will be deleted) will no longer serve a function. so i will remove them. or i can leave them there. they might add some damping. with the rssa afixing plates the mounts will not move up and down . and the#19 rear body mounts i have not decided what to do yet. i think they can take a couple pucks too.the inner adjustment links i am having them fabricated from chromemoly tubing with a spherical bearing at the adjustment point location. if this is unclear a quick look into the service manual will show what i mean. the rssa plate will be welded to the rssa and then bolted to the chassis. i dont know how my bud will acomplish this yet but the rssa needs to be removable in case the tank needs to be dropped or the bushings need swapping out. the final dimensions of the bracket are 2x2 square tubing by 5 3/4" long top to bottom. the mounting plate is a 4" diam round plate welded to that and drilled for the stock through suspension holes. ive been out all day driving in traffic and around corners and the car feels much tighter. even had a couple ass out fast corners..allways fun. the back end wanting to come around is preferable to me because i can control that. controling a car that is set up for off the throttle corners confuses me to hell! when on the throttle she just wants to plow nose first. that just frustrates the crap out of me and kills my driving style. she is getting there but still more work to do. a rsb, delrin bushings all around,chrome moly tubed spherical bearing adjustment links..and that should do it. from there ill know if i need a front sb . the only true hurdle is what to do about the 95 front control arm vertical bushing? thats going to be a challenge. but i think i might be able to fit a high misalignment bushing into place. these bearings are super expensive though....hope im making sense.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Yeh, it makes sense. But as you progress you need to take some detailed photo's for reference and some clarity. If you don't mind.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:41 pm

sure..the inner adjustment link should be interesting. hope to have it ordered next week!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:46 pm

When you say spherical bushing, are you talking about a Heim Joint for adjust ability and rotational movement
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 10:14 pm

yap. i have several from my last car so i just need them to adapt to my current project. ill attempt to use the iner adjustment link ball joint that conects to the rear control arm ,to the new tubing. there is nothing wrong with the stock ball joint and does not need to be modified. just adapted. the new adjustment link will no longer need the concentric washer for its adjustment for toe in/out. all that will need to be done is loosening the spherical bearing nut rotate the tube by hand and...easy peasy nice and easy! nothing simpler! and ill do away with lbs of weight, complexity, and general mechanical annoyances!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:17 am

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 New%20bracket%20mod%20001

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 New%20bracket%20mod%20002

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 New%20bracket%20mod%20003

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 New%20bracket%20mod%20004
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5