Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!

Go down 
+9
T Riley
ewolfe0050
AA
Jack the R
deekster_caddy
albertj
1998 Riv
Rickw
robotennis61
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 pm

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:49 pm

wow ! jthe r. you are my hero
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:49 pm

how do i send them to u?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 2:08 am

ok. ive just swapped out all the front cradle stock mounts. it wasnt too hard. the rearward ones are a little trickier,but overall it was an ok job. aside from ideas that came to me while i was doing the job,for example,welding a plate to the underneath of the front cradle mount locations,where the bottom mount goes,and maybe at the top too. hard to explain but if one goes down there to check things out and be willing to take the mounts off they will see what i mean. as it is the pucks are kinda squished in the stock locations and the hole that the stock mounts go through are rather large. this would still,in my mind allow the cradle to deflect somewhat. first impressions on the road are good. the mod does exactly what i thought it would. turn in is quicker with no side to side movement that seems to happen in bumpy corners.maybe some of you have felt this. well thats gone. now what i feel is the rear end having trouble keeping up with the front. the back is still suceptible to its inherent design. the r.s.s.a still has a side to side movement that in a perfect day should not be there. the front end turns in just fine now without wallowing but the rear end catches up and sez " whoa slow down" and the fun is over as soon as she starts. i call this "suspension handling blue balls" if any one has a few hours to spare and 12 pucks. try this in a few corners. there is no evidence of this mod in any way hurting the surrounding components. tranny lines,oil lines. every thing fits just right. i did not have to cut or alter the stock design at all. but ill keep all posted for the next few days and hope nothing out of the ordinary pops up......or out!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 2:54 am

I REALLY REALLY NEED pics of the front cradle bushings man ASAP.. and a write up with them if possible.. your my hero if you do this..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 3:15 am

i sent pics to jack the r , because i cant seem to figure out how to do that from photobucket. it makes me so ashamed that i cant perform this simple task ,that it makes me want to go drink a beer!...wait...i..... dont have to feel shame to drink.. a beer! brb!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Very shortly . . . Had to swap the Linux hard drive back into my machine because I've been playing flight simulator on Windows wink

---------------

O.K., here we go. Let me know if I can label any of this stuff to make it more clear what's what.

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 001

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Body%20mounts%20001

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Body%20mounts%20002

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Body%20mounts%20003

Last edited by Jack the R on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Very shortly . . . Had to swap the Linux hard drive back into my machine because I've been playing flight simulator on Windows wink

hurry up man geeez....... jk tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
blackbart95
Enthusiast
blackbart95

Name : Mark
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 2:54 pm

I am getting ready to repair the collsision damage on my 95 Riv. I'd really be interested in getting some front cradle bushings made out of some type of urethane that is a little stiffer than the oem bushings. the same goes for the control arm bushings. Since I have to replace the front clip it is a good time to upgrade the suspension, including new KYB struts. I'd really like to find a stiffer set of springs that will retain the stock ride height. Lowering is out of the question since I already have issues with ground clearance on my road.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Uploaded, editted the earlier post a couple posts up. Should have checked for newer replies first bonk
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

hey thanks jr! the washer in the pic has a hole diameter that is too large. ideally i would like to find a washer the size of the puck. and a hole dia of 3/8. i think that would work better. i have the bracket fabbed up and ready to instal for the bilstein mod. i hope all fits according to plan. i will post pics when i go and get the new hardware ill need to attach the bracket......
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 4:58 pm

No problem. I'm sure you can find a washer of the size you need, but what about hardness?

Bet you'll be thrilled when you get the Bilsteins on. Since you can get fabrication done you should have a set of custom STB's made like ewolfe's.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 pm

How do you (or are) you going to keep the hocky puck mounts from sliding around? The upper OEM mount is designed to "sit" in the cradle hole but it looks like your bolt is much smaller than the diameter of the cradle hole. Wouldn;t that cause the whole cradle to shift around?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 11:11 pm

interesting observation ewolfe. and ive noticed that too. when the through bolt goes through the bottom rubber mount,the smaller of the 2,through the cradle,through the upper mount,and the top mount washer,mushroom shaped, over that. this still allows the cradle to move. concentrically. kinda like 2 washers rubbing together, it seems that the only thing stopping excessive movement are tiny nibs sticking out on top of the mushroom shaped upper washer. i guess they dig in enough to stop this. somewhat. ive put about 40 miles on the car with some hard cornering and i cant feel movement. im going to scribe grease pen marks along the dia of the upper mounts and see if they deflect.1 of the solutions is to put back the stock upper mount washer the, mushroom shaped 1,and into that a puck still fits perfectly. and to trim the lower portion of the bottom mount and do away with the bottom puck alltogether. the stock mounts have steel sleeves molded into them that prevent some concentrical movement but as it is the pucks from the other end of a crow bar dont move at all! they are in there pretty tight and until i do the grease pen thing and observe for smearing,im content with what ive done. again,im guinnea pigging this mod so stay tuned. the mod made no sense to me until i actually removed 1 mount and checked it out. the stock design still moves....but ill continue to perfect it and im thinking that i might even hard mount the cradle to the chassis. with the apropriate spacer that would completly kill movement.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 1:07 am

How hard would it be to lathe the top hockey mount down a 1/4"(ish) on one side to the ID of the cradle hole? Would the top hockey puck still be tall enough? I suppose all you would need is a little lip to stop it from moving.

Or for lowered cars, maybe lathe the bottom to fit up into the cradle hole so that the geometry of the axles is a more in line with the stock angles...

Did you ever replace all four of the rear mounts by the way? Since you started this thread I have been thinking about front and back more and more. If hockey pucks work that would really be easier than trying to pour moulds with poly...
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 1:58 am

lol if you all keep doing this i wonder what the sellers start to think when people buy all ther hockey pucks out of stock in midle of summer! hehe

but anyways good idea.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 2:13 pm

lol! yeah ,i repalced all mounts at the front. at the top of each cradle hole there is a lip that comes up. this lip bites into the puck and prevents it from walking. im guessing that the botton might need a lathed lip. that would be good. what ive been unable to find are washers the size of the pucks with a smaller hole dia to fit the stock through bolts.. im sure if i really look around ill find some. but a puck size washer im sure would work alot better,especialy for the bottom puck. i would also put one at the top and see how that works. with all of us working together we can perfect this mod. the pucks are faultless imo as the material. i think pucks are something like 95 durometer. thats hard. and pucks are strong. i have the brackets for my bilsteins all done. ive run out of batteries,so ill take pics in a little while. aside from the bracket sitting at a slight angle,this mod looks good. im taking it for a test ride in a few...so ill let everyone know how that turns out....over and out
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 pm

I know it's gonna be awesome wink
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:02 pm

yeah im stoked! unfortunatly i neglected to weld spacers along the inside of the 2x2 square tube, so.. the shock moves a bit. and the tube is at a slight angle, remedied by an angled shim that will be welded to the top of the tube. these are minor anoyances. the square tube measures 8" long this allows me 1" or so for the r.s.s.a mod coming next week. my bud is away for the weekend so any further customization will have to wait until he gets back. after the r.s.s.a mod i anticipate the tube being an 1" or so shorter, depends on the thickness of the material to be welded to the chassis for the r.s.s.a. my road test confirms that the bilstein out performs the stock by a substantial margin. not only is the ride more controled but rebound and compression much improved. the 5125 shocks are firm! but in use ,they ride really well! ive got a bunch before and after pics i took. hey jr, mind if i send em to ya? still cant figure out how to? clueless in vegas!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Send 'em!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20001

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20003

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20005

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20006

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20010

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20011

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Bilstein%20mod%20012
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:31 pm

thanks jr! check out the welds on the bracket! are they dope or what! still more work to do but im almost there! thanks again jr! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Are the tops of the new bracket's mounted to the original holes and how did you get the mount things in the bottom of the shocks. Did they just slide thru.?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 pm

yap! stock holes all the way around! i plan on fabricating a dedicated lower shock bracket, for the control arm that will bolt to the stock location and the shock and bracket to that. will be much stronger and tricker! ill do a road test and put this mod through its paces when all is sed and done......

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:40 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
i plan on fabricating a dedicated bracket for the control that will bolt to the stock location and the bracket to that.
Don't understand what you mean?????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!   Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Body Mounts..CHEAP MOD!!!!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next