Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

white smoke / Need stock compression ratio

Go down 
+9
deekster_caddy
Eldo
#1BearsFan
Snowdog
ibmoses
charged95riv
Rickw
robotennis61
riv_problems96
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
riv_problems96
Amateur

Name : magen
Merit : 0

white smoke / Need stock compression ratio Empty
PostSubject: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Hello,

I have a 96 s/c riv - had engine rebuilt 3 a month ago (it blew rods and crank) and ever since rebuild blows small to moderate sized clouds of white smoke when it has been either 1st start of the day and/or when it has been sitting on in park and then put in drive. It is also throwing P1441 code but idk if that has anything to do with it... would anyone have an idea of whats up with the smoke?

thx
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:00 pm

my head gasket is blown but ive been spared the crossmingling of fluids, have you taken it back to the shop? sounds like a gasket leak. i wish i had more advice to give but i dont know a whole lot about engines...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 pm

That will happen when valve seals are leaking a bit of oil as well. They leak overnight into the cylinders and then you have white smoke on first start up or after car has sat for a number of hours or if bad enough just sitting at idle for a long period of time.
I'll have to look up the P1441 code, I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

Last edited by Rickw on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:20 pm

P1441 is an EVAP system code. Shouldn't have anything to do with the white smoke on start up but I would at least have your mech check it out with a scanner.
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 pm

If they rebuilt the engine, wouldnt they have replaced the valve seals? Mechanic did check out the code but said he doesnt know what it is - apparently a number of things - i already changed gas cap so it is not that, I found this http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=/uploads/Wrenchtech/2008-12-12_203934_P1441_96_Riviers.jpg
diagram which kinda helps but i dont own a reader so i cant move forward w/ diagnosis..[/u]
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Yes, they should have replaced seals, it's part of the rebuild.
As far as your mechanic not having the proper diagnostic tools or ability to diagnose a problem......well I'd find another mechanic.
You have exactly what you need for tech data, just need a technician not a mechanic.
Back to top Go down
charged95riv
Rookie

Name : Steve

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:02 am

As for the p1441 code its usually because of the gas cap being removed while the vehicle is running (At the gas pump) or a bad gas cap, nothing at all to worry about. You need to clear the code with a scan tool or wait for the light to go out it won't happen very quickly, but like they said white smoke usually means coolant or oil in the combustion chamber.
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:59 am

I did take it to the shop today - they said to bring my smog printout - i think ill have to do that next week - but the smog papers read my NOX as 9 at idle and it went up to 74 during the test - is it normal to have that much nox with the car moving?

Last edited by riv_problems96 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 3:28 am

Its not knocks, it NOX = Oxides of Nitrogen, SMOG
Don't remember what is a normal range. Can anyone else help out.
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 11:56 am

thanks - i edited so i sound like i know what im talking about wink
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 pm

I would have the oil analyzed to determine what or if any contaminants are present in the oil.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:58 pm

blue/blask smoke...- oil in sylinders (head gasket leaking/ valve seals, bad piston oil rings or all rings)
white smoke - water in sylinders (head gasket leaking)
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

I agree w/Timo
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 6:22 pm

What does it smell like?
Burnt = oil, sweet = coolant.

Either way, I'd get it back to the guy who rebuilt it ASAP...
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:07 pm

well i changed the oil yesterday - used valvoline 10w30 - and it has not smoked today - if the mechanics used cheap oil could that have caused it ? i will see if it smokes tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:48 pm

could be. I have seen some pretty shitty oil from some places. Did you have the oil changed after break in, or were you still running on the engine break in oil???
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 pm

My 2000 Regal will poof a wisp of smoke upon cold start sometimes after the oil has a few thousand miles on it. But that smoke is more of a blue than white.

The Regal has 148,000 miles.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 am

The oil could have been diluted with fuel (maybe related to the evap code) or coolant. When they changed the oil did they have to add coolant also?
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:45 pm

I had the oil changed because it was done breaking in - 500 miles since rebuild - Im pretty sure they did not check coolant - i have not started car yet today, but ill see what happens when i do - Also, after I got oil changed I had them clear the evap code and as of yesterday it still had not come back on... again today may be a diff. story

seriously thanks for everyone's help and input - i really appreciate it

ill update later today
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 5:40 pm

so i checked for the smoke again and it doesnt do it to much if any at startups, but when i am sitting at a red light and take off on green it lets out a white cloud on the car behind me... i still can't figure out what is going on with it
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Hello, I searched for it on here and googl, but couldnt find the compression of a 96 s/c riv stock - mechanic is doing compression test and i wanted to make sure what it read is what it is supposed to be...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 pm

8.5:1

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 pm

As Aaron posted the Compression Ratio is 8.5:1,
But what your looking for is the pressure readings that should be found on a compression test.
This I am not sure of. Although any one reading should not be lower than 15% of the highest reading.
Readings are very dependent on amount of carbon build up ( higher reading) to amount of cylinder wear, ring wear and valve wear ( lower compression reading)
A good mechanic will be able to tell you based on mileage of engine whether your readings are Good or Bad.
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 pm

thanks AA but I should clarify I need the compression for each individ. cylinder.. or are they all the same?
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 7:41 pm

Well he's turning out not to be such a good mechanic,he kept saying it was possibly related to my evap code but im thinking the head could be slightly warped or not on good enuf and they may have just not replaced it or resurfaced incorrectly..? so i want to make sure hes not telling me compression is fine when it is not and he just doesnt want to fix it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: white smoke / Need stock compression ratio   white smoke / Need stock compression ratio Empty

Back to top Go down

white smoke / Need stock compression ratio
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next