Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull

Go down 
+4
AA
ibmoses
Rickw
albertj
8 posters
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull Empty
PostSubject: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 pm

My idea for this thread is to list things that Riv owners will need for maintenance and repair that are easy/cheap to get at a "pick and pull" and store before they are actually needed. I'll start the list here - please add to it as things occur to you.

I would consider getting:

- the 'thermal breakers' that are used with our power seats and windows. Some PNPs will let you have a fistful of these for like a buck - they are $12 each in the store.

- a HVAC control - expecting to have to replace the little light bulbs inside. I'd just get one and do the bulb swap when I had some time on my hands. Then when enough of teh bulbs in my installed HVAC head unit have burned out, just swap in the fixed one. This is a MAYBE - if the PNP only wants $5 or $10 (or maybe 20) for it then go for it.

- spark plug heat protectors - if you get to the PNP early enough, scarf those little cans GM puts over the ends of the spark plug wires that are by the downpipe, and put 'em on the rest of the plugs. This is another pricey item that would be a fistful for a buck at a PNP and the substitutes (KoolSox for instance) are not cheap.

- beyond the obvious highly expensive small parts, might be a good idea to be on the lookout for things like idler pulleys that have been recently replaced; a shiny clean pulley or tensioner on an apparently "neglected" engine might be a good bet. Same with a fresh looking radiator. or brake calipers (they are easily overhauled) if not sitting in the yard long.

Your thoughts?

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix spelling)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Various different bulb sockets, Interior trim pieces that are known to break or crack.
Maybe some items that cost more than $2-$3 would be a spare level ride compressor ($20-$30), Power antenna, etc.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Trim rings off the wheel arches if in good condition.

If you want to do an LED conversion, the taillight sweepspear.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Heated and auto-tint mirrors. The glass is removable from the housing and are hard to come by.
As a matter of fact if anyone has a drivers side one I'll take it.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Power trunk release motor
Console lid.
Wheel centers
MAF sensor

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 7:20 pm

This list is developing well!

Cornering lamp lenses if they are not busted (they can be cleaned to remove yellowing). Headlamp units if you're thinking about an HID conversion. Dash vents.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Exterior Door Handles

Exterior Driver Mirrors

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Power Antenna
The A/C outlet vent grate for the rear seats
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:50 pm

red courtesty lenses on doors.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:03 pm

the in-armrest and interior door remote pull lights (that come on with instrument lights) even if not working they can be re-lamped with grain-of-wheat bulbs bought from radio shack or off EBay.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 2:01 am

This is just a nitpicky thing, but those little caps that go on the door handles (the part you pull to close the door) that match the shade of your car. Ever since we've had the Riviera it only had one little cap on it and I'm sure the dealer would want too much for them. You'd be surprised how many Rivieras were just like mine and had none. The day I found one with all four on thereat the junkyard I snatched them up quick!

Also the headlight switch (This is what controls the correct functioning of the twilight sentinel if I'm not mistaken). Most Riv's have this still in them and they usually will sell to you for $10 or so but I couldn't figure out how to get it out and they were closing in 10 minutes (You pop the side panel off then unplug it but I couldn't get the thing to come out of there - and I wasn't being gentle with it either).

The center console hinge if it's in good shape. I found three Rivieras at my latest visit and all three were bent or broken in some fashion and even mine is broke on one side. Apparently these things always go bad.

The grille if it's in good shape. I haggled with my junkyard and picked up a mint condition grille (Looked dirty when I got it though) for $20. Surprisingly this grille is in better shape than the one on my Riviera now (My chrome has done this odd hazing with a rough texture around the left and right sides on the edges). Always good for grille mods and experiments. Toying with the idea on my spare of painting it white to match the car or putting a custom material in it. Ha, and for kicks I thought about notching out a spot for one of those Knight Rider light bars (But to be fair I was watching some Knight Rider reruns at the time).

This would be a nice sticky thread if you ask me!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 2:08 am

Shintsu wrote:
Also the headlight switch (This is what controls the correct functioning of the twilight sentinel if I'm not mistaken). Most Riv's have this still in them and they usually will sell to you for $10 or so but I couldn't figure out how to get it out and they were closing in 10 minutes (You pop the side panel off then unplug it but I couldn't get the thing to come out of there - and I wasn't being gentle with it either).

I had trouble with the removal too, but after playing with it a bit, the whole assembly rotates and pops out of the dash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull   This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull Empty

Back to top Go down

This is a list of things to get when you're at a pik-n-pull
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: