Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How do you Check idler pullys

Go down 
+4
DEMonte1997
AA
Rickw
RivGuy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

How do you Check idler pullys Empty
PostSubject: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 5:04 pm

I just bought this 105K 96 S/C and it looks to be well maintained, but I would like to know what is involved in checking the condition of the idler pullys there is a bit of clicking noise in that area. Also I believe there is some noise under load from the S/C
How do loosen and tighten the tensioners my experience is on pre serpentine belt Buicks. Excuse the spelling and Thank You
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 5:25 pm

There is a write up on this site for replacing the Idler and tensioner pulleys that will give you the information you need.
I know you don't need the whole procedure for replacing everything yet, but you can read through it and pick out where it tells you how to de-tension the belts and from there you can rotate and check side to side play of all pulleys.
If you find one bad replace them all with the belts. When one goes bad the others are soon to follow and when they start making noise the amount of time you have before they frag themselves is minimal.
This is known from experience of many of us. It is HIGHLY recommended to replace all pulleys at 100K miles if they haven't already been done.
Click on this link and you may want to check out the "Write Up" section for very good info on a lot of topics.
Welcome to the site:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-Engine-Transmission-f4/Write-Up-Replacing-Belts-and-Pulleys-t725.htm

Last edited by Rickw on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 5:25 pm

If you're sure a certain pulley is making a noise, replace it. You can loosen the belt and test each idler by hand for smoothness. The pulleys should not wobble or make any kind of grinding noise when turned. They should rotate smoothly. At 105k miles, you may want to have all the idler and tensioner pulleys replaced for good insurance.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 am

Better you check them now than have one grenade and take the belt out with it and then you have to loosen the mount and it just gets ugly from there LOL

Not saying it's really hard... just an annoyance.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 am

I have had two of these idlers grenade on me - one on the accessory belt and one on the SC belt.

Please, please, please save yourself the headache and maybe more serious problems, and replace those &$^@#*& things when then become noisy.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 3:42 pm

That clicking noise is exactly how my bad idler pulley sounded. It did it for about 2 weeks or so before the pulley broke, and I realized what it was.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 3:53 pm

Haven't heard any more from OP; RivGuy.
Wonder how he made out with his noises.????
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

Name : Dustin
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Had my accessory idler grenade on me. I had no warnings. I had a squeak, but it was from a loose sc belt, not from anything accessory related. I could spray belt dressing on the sc belt and it would go away for a bit, then come back. When it grenaded I didn't hear anything as well, but when I got home I opened my hood to take a look at the belts to see how loose they were and I noticed that my 3.5" idler pulley was now like .5" and wouldn't spin lol. Luckily the belt didn't break, but it did wear it down a bit from the 3 or 4 miles that it was probably driven with no idler pulley.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Best insurance is to replace immediately after hearing any noises. In my experience pulleys last about 100 miles after they start making noise. Don't try to lubricate a pulley that is about to fail, just replace it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 pm

how bout if it has a 1/4" wobble? smile
gonna do pulley's on the wifes 98 tormorrow.

PostSubject: Re: How do you Check idler pullys   How do you Check idler pullys Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you Check idler pullys
Page 1 of 1