Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Upgrading my sound

Go down 
+4
96RIVMANN
sburch23
sqrivi
lotaguns
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lotaguns
Special

Name : lotaguns
Merit : 0

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Just got a '96 Riv at the beginning of the summer. Love the car. It rides nice and has quite some pep to it for the size. Only thing I'm not big on is the factory installed sound.

I'm looking to get a new deck (also referred to as head units right?) and new speakers and possibly a sub/amp if at a decent price. I really don't need anything that's going to be extremely loud. I'm just wanting something that's going to put out clean, crisp sound compared to the stock audio installed. I should also add that I've got an iPod touch and would like to be able to connect it.

I'm also on a bit of a budget. Not exactly sure what everything should cost for a decent mid-lower range setup so if anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Lets just say for kicks I've got $300 to spend on the whole shebang. Is that enough to get a setup better than stock? Can it be done cheaper? Or will I need to throw in some more money?

Thanks in advance for the responses and if you need more info let me know and I shall provide.
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

You probably need to throw more money at your budget. It all depends on your definition of good sound. Also depends on if you are considering used equipment (be careful here though). I would suspect you would spend at least $200 on a deck. More if you want to retain the steering wheel controls. A descent set of component speakers will run $200 or so. You can always build in stages also. Just be sure to look at quality gear. Too many times I have seen people spend MORE money in the long run by buying cheap stuff.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:48 pm

If that is all you have, spend it on replacing the fronts with as good a component set as you can get. It is also the easiest to do yourself.

The OEM deck is decent. The main problem with it in my opinion is that it does not have 3 pairs of RCA outputs to go to a 5 channel amp.
Back to top Go down
lotaguns
Special

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have more, I was really just trying to price it out and see what its going to cost to get a decent entry level upgrade from the stock stuff.

I don't need anything mindblowing...I think anything over what's stock is going to sound pretty good. I was thinking getting some new speakers might spice things up a bit. I can get those MB Quartz from Ebay for about $40 for a pair so if I grabbed two, that would be the front and back for $80 right? Then I'm unsure exactly where to go from there. I'm not too up to date on all the technical terms and what everything is called and does. How wrong am I here?

But if I'm going from the $80 there, wouldn't a deck that runs about $100 suffice?

I'm also not against upgrading in parts and spreading it out. If going this route what would be best to upgrade first? What would give the most noticeable performance increase?

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 pm

Better speakers!
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Back to top Go down
lotaguns
Special

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 12:33 am

96RIVMANN I was looking at those. You think they'd be the best immediate upgrade? Would I notice a decent difference from stock? And should I opt for two pairs or one pair?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 pm

The rears are 6x9 in the stock cutouts. If you go with the rounds you will have some more work to go.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 6:23 am

You can get adapter plates for the smaller round speakers in back like Jack the R got from Crutchfield.
Back to top Go down
parrot5254
Amateur

Name : joe
Merit : 1

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 9:13 am

My opinion is grab a $100 head unit (make sure its name brand alpine pioneer kenwood ect) and a decent pair of 6x9 speakers (I like the alpine type s I think they're like 120 bucks right now) to go with the speakers you already picked up. This combo so give you the sound your looking for and not break the bank. The 6x9's should put out some decent bass so I don't think you need a sub right away but make sure you grab a deck with a couple pre outs in case you want to add an amp later. Most basic model decks have either built in usb or an aux input that you can hook your ipod to.
Back to top Go down
Hellas
Special

Name : nasos

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Please recommend stereo&speakers for my 97 Riviera   Upgrading my sound EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Hello,
Currently my stock radio's cd player does not work, and the cassette adapter I was using got stuck. So, it's time and a reason to upgrade.

My budget for both stereo and speakers (I'm only changing the front ones) is apprx. $200. I would like to get the best possible sound for my money, and by best sound i mean "crisp" sound. I don't necessarily care for bass.

I can get a descent 2014 pioneer (single din) off of Amazon for $104, then after a little research I started thinking about getting Rockford Fosgates the 5.25 (I read good reviews). Speakers go for $50 or so, so that's within my budget. Now, what I wanted to ask is if 1) Can I fit bigger speakers like 6.5 without modifications and 2) Which speakers (5.25s or 6.5's-if they fit) do you recommend? Is it more important to spend more money on speakers and less on the stereo or are they both equally important in sound quality?

Please advice, thanks
Back to top Go down
clok1966
Special

Name : clok1966

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 11:04 am

Have to agree with front speakers. I just left the stock head unit (mine is a 99 with CD and Cassette) and replaced the speakers with some Pioneer. Happy with it but I cant get the treble i would like.. I did not go with component in the front, wish i had, and will most likely down the road. Separate tweeters for sure..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Upgrading my sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading my sound   Upgrading my sound Empty

Back to top Go down

Upgrading my sound
Page 1 of 1