Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Guess what im getting?......

Go down 
+3
Rickw
T Riley
L8-2BNGO
7 posters
AuthorMessage
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

Name : Devin
Merit : 2

Guess what im getting?...... Empty
PostSubject: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 pm

So i finally have enough money to get a zzp trans. im getting it with all the goodies, stall, gears, etc. is there anything specific i need, beside dextron and rear main seal when installing, also who do i need to do tuning wise to get it dialed in?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 12:30 am

L8-2BNGO wrote:
So i finally have enough money to get a zzp trans. im getting it with all the goodies, stall, gears, etc. is there anything specific i need, beside dextron and rear main seal when installing, also who do i need to do tuning wise to get it dialed in?

Change the settings for the gearing.. assuming with your setup your going to 2.93s???
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am

i have 2.93's right now. i will be going to 3.29s
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:58 am

Coming Soon- SSAC/ 1.9 Rockers/ (from your sig)

Have you bought these yet?
Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 8:15 am

i have the ssacs sitting in my living room. me and matt are installing these on fri. The rockers i am still looking for. i only want 1.9 modded rockers or 1.8-1.84rr so i dont have to do springs. im looking for used ones, but in the next 2 weeks or so if i dont find any will just bite the bullet and by the modded ones.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 pm

L8-2BNGO wrote:
i have the ssacs sitting in my living room. me and matt are installing these on fri. The rockers i am still looking for. i only want 1.9 modded rockers or 1.8-1.84rr so i dont have to do springs. im looking for used ones, but in the next 2 weeks or so if i dont find any will just bite the bullet and by the modded ones.

dang i wish i could sell you my yella terra' 1.9 RR with pushrods... im going xp cam soon
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:14 pm

how soon Travis?
i'm in the market for 1.9 YT's. there is a set of pro mag 1.9's on regalgs for 275 shipped i've had my eye on but i just dont have the extra cash right this minute.

Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:29 am

Pick up a rear engine cover gasket. Most of the time we think our rear main or oil pan is leaking and it ends up being the rear cover gasket.

On that ZZP trans, have you compared Triple Edge Performance? Dave does a great job and builds an amazing trans.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:12 am

Unless you're planning on any of: stage3/4 stuff, turbo, slicks, lots of track time and not a lot of street DD, I might suggest go very conservative with the stall or skip it entirely.

Although a stall speed TC is sometimes a real winning mod at the track, we are probably the last people that really need it.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:56 am

Mr.Riviera wrote:
how soon Travis?
i'm in the market for 1.9 YT's. there is a set of pro mag 1.9's on regalgs for 275 shipped i've had my eye on but i just dont have the extra cash right this minute.

Well i actually am getting a S1x cam now... tongue i bought some off clubgp BUT the guy wont have it out til later this week or next week.. i doubt ill have the cam in til ummmm winter sometime yawn

I'm going to have a ton of spare performance parts so i might buy a junker 2dr grand prix and put it into the high high 12's than spray it...
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:05 am

It is fine to put in a higher stall now in anticipation of future mods.

I didn't know when I would cam (only planned mod at that time) and rebuilt the trans with a 3000 stall. Overall our stalls aren't that much lower in actual stall than a 3000
Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm

well i plan on still doing rockers, intercooler and a smaller pulley. i just emailed dave @ triple edge. and hes a cool guy. i think ill prolly go with him, because i got to thinking. if something goes wrong..... zzp is soo hard to get a hold of. i told dave i want a trans that is good for low 12's

why would you suggest the skip of a stall converter.
Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

ok i talked to dave i am going to go with triple edge tranny
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:00 am

L8-2BNGO wrote:
why would you suggest the skip of a stall converter.

I'm not one who has a lot of first hand experience with different stalls on these motors but the stall speed is primarily to get the motor into an rpm range where it can make a good amount of power before it engauges torque to the trans. IMO, that could hurt a street driven car of our nature more than help it. We make a good amount of torque off idle unlike a lot of more popular raced cars that are not big v8's, n/a or turbo especially. Secondly, we have a FWD layout and most of us an open diff. We already put a more than useful amount of initial torque to the wheels. So it doesn't seem to me like a stall speed can do much to help. I imagine it would make a good launch more tricky without full on slicks. As a side note, stall speed converters rob a little power on the top end, and more with high stalls, but that's not such a big deal for those who can take advantage of them because they make up for it tenfold at the launch.

Like I said, unless your current or future build massively kills low end power, and you are running an LSD/slicks and stuff like that I don't think the stall speed will do any good.

A good example of what kind of car should use a stall speed TC would be a RWD big-turbo 4cyl because that car will have absolutely nothing untill over 3000rpm and the stall will get it to where it needs to be to get a killer launch out of it. It's easy to see how our cars are fundamentally the opposite of that.

This is just my own largely theoretical fix on it though and I would be interested to hear what experiences others with this type of car have had.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 7:37 am

Our current stalls are around 2500-2700. Upping to something like a 3K isn't much of a difference. FWIW I looked into this deeply and asked a lot of questions. The 3000 stall didn't hurt me at all and at the time I had a pulley and headers on the car. My only plans were cam and Gen V. For that the 3000 stall was rocking...although I barely noticed the difference.

Ask Dave, he's great for these types of questions.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:01 pm

If you street drive your car, stick with a lower stall speed. If you just go racing and are building a crazy setup, go with a higher stall.

If you need a .bin with 3.29s let me know, I redid my whole pcm for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guess what im getting?......   Guess what im getting?...... Empty

Back to top Go down

Guess what im getting?......
Page 1 of 1