Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant

Go down 
+20
Rogerh11
robotennis61
Abaddon
BKRIV
BMD
Sweepspear
LARRY70GS
AA
Snowdog
Eldo
Jack the R
albertj
Rickw
'96reese
96riv
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
ibmoses
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 7:59 pm

albertj wrote:
OK Bert - yep - in my experience if no other problems, DexCool once properly filled really does run 100,000+ miles.

I suspect the issues other have come from using tap water in a fill or change - the minerals and the pH are problematic.

Albertj

I read a bunch about the problems with the Dexcool. GM pretty much decided the problem was caused by the coolant level in the radiator not being full.

Although the overflow tank was filled properly in most cases- the radiator was not full.
Not sure how this is possible unless like on my 95 PA the very bottom of the overflow tank in the corner where the coolant would exit the drain pipe was clogged with sludge.
So although the oveflow tank was full it would be possible for the radiator to be low...

After all most people probably never removed the caps to look into the radiator.
They just look at the overflow tank and make sure it looks like it is filled properly.

My personal hunch is that the problem is worse in the colder climates.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:04 am

Yep - if one uses tap water there's a higher risk of sludging up depending on pH and mineral content.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:22 am

My '94 Regal's Dex-Cool looked like sludge after nobody touched it for 100K miles. I had to flush the system twice to get the inside of the radiator looking somewhat clean. I never got the overflow res. clean. It was always brown and sludgy. After I cleaned and refilled (with Dex-Cool) I never had any problems with the cooling system again. The car is still running well to my knowledge. I might even take it back into my possesion soon! (My mother has it in Florida right now...)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 am

I need to revise my statement above regarding using the GM Sealant tabs.
I did a complete flush last year of the cooling system even though everything looked very clean. (coolant and inside radiator). Spent a lot of effort to flush properly. Removed thermostat, added cleaner ran engine per instructions drained and repeated flush with clean water. Never saw anything but clean coolant on first flush and clean water on second one.
Installed new thermostat and added GM sealant tabs to lower radiator hose with all new hoses and Dexcool. (That was 1 year ago)
A couple of days ago I drained radiator to install 180* tstat and noticed nasty brown crap on inside of radiator and under side of cap. Appears to be the remnants of those GM coolant tabs (sealant). Flushed system again before finishing job.
Later I researched my Service Bulletin list for another topic and came across one from GM engineering saying "Not to use the coolant tabs as a regular maintenance item after servicing coolant system" as I had been told to do by a GM Tech. "Only use if diagnostics fail to repair a small leak" TSB #00-06-006C Dated May, 2006.
So, I would not use these tablets as they will leave thick residue in the cooling system as any other Stop Leak additive will. I was initially given bad info from my GM tech friend.
Back to top Go down
95 super3800
Rookie

Name : MacLain
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:30 pm

hello everyone, I have 96 sc. I'm looking for a write up on the site on how to flush my coolant. i'm not overheating or anything but I the coolant just looks nasty. Also theres a lot of muck getting built up on the inside of my coolant resevior. I could take it to get done, but I enjoy learning how to work on my car so if anyone could direct me to a link or a write up I would be greatfull. thanks
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 5:53 pm

How to flush a rad:
1. Climb under car and remove the little plastic faseners that holds the bottom plastic guard on. A rough guess wuld be that there are 9-10 of them. You pull the plastic center, and the rest of the clip comes out of the hole.

2. Remove plastic guard from the bottom.

3. Facing the front of the car, on the right, under where you removed the plastic, is a hole for the rad drain bung. Remove the bung and let the coolant run into a shallow bucket.

4. Dump in a container of something like Prestone Rad flush.

5. Top up with water.

6. Run the engine, for around 15 min with the heater on full plast.

7. Let car cool.

8. Drain rad again. Replace bung.

9. Remove the coolant canister and rinse out with a hose if desired.

10. Fill with new coolant following the reccomened mix on the bottle. I use prestone "mixes with anything" stuff.

11. Top up the coolant canister to the cold mark.

12. Open the little valve on the LIM where the large coolant hose enters it. It will be on your right, by the boost bypass actuator. Near the EGR on the 95. There is a little screw for bleeding out air, slot screwdriver opens it.

13. Run the engine, wait for spitting on the little valve. Close valve.

14. Let engine run for a bit. Cool. Open Valve again, repeat engine run till water comes out valve.

Thats about it, off the top of my head. I do have a folder full of pics from my rad change that documents the same procedure, that will eventually end up in a write-up when I find time.

Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 pm

good writeup on flushing, but here's what I'd do if I were you:

drain the radiator.
Add RMI25 according to instructions on bottle (a good cleaning solution and lubricant)
Refill with proper 50/50 mix (use distilled water for that 50)
repeat next year.

I've never been a fan of flushing the system.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Here are a few pics I took while draining/refilling the coolant on the 99 Riv today.
Hopefully they will help someone.

The radiator drain bung is kind of hard to spot so here are a couple of pics of what the little bugger looks like after it is removed from the radiator.
Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Picture_1307
Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Picture_1306
Here is a pic of the bleeder screw:
Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Picture_1304
And a pic of the chin spoiler/belly pan that must be removed to gain access to the radiator drain bung:
Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Picture_1298
The chin spoiler/belly pan is a lot easier to remove/reinstall than it looks. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove or to reinstall.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Looks like the weather was nice there today for working on the car.
It's been snowing and raining and snowing here all day. And it's only the middle of October !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:31 pm

How much radiator fluid does the Riv take?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 am

Just about 2 gallons in my experience. One gallon of anti-freeze and one gallon of water.
I pre-mix the two or you can buy the Anti-Freeze already pre-mixed at the auto parts store. Just look for 50/50 on the bottle.
Then you just have to put it in and not be concerned with mixing it.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:22 am

Rickw wrote:
Looks like the weather was nice there today for working on the car.
It's been snowing and raining and snowing here all day. And it's only the middle of October !!!!!!

Things are weird out here on the left coast, too... Last week we got 6 inches of rain in 1 day, and this morning the "few showers" that were forecast dropped 1.5 inches in 2 HOURS! In SF, water was gushing out of manhole covers.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 am

Rickw wrote:

I pre-mix the two or you can buy the Anti-Freeze already pre-mixed at the auto parts store. Just look for 50/50 on the bottle.
Then you just have to put it in and not be concerned with mixing it.

Rick makes a good point. If you don't buy pre-mixed, or pre-mix it yourself, you'll inevitably find yourself with either too much or not enough anti-freeze in, when the system stops accepting any more...

When I flushed the hell out of my car to convert it back to trustworthy green coolant, I'm pretty sure it took more than two gallons (it's rated for 3.) However, being a cheapskate, I figured the cheap and fairly easy thing to do is this:

Buy 2 gallons of the regular full-strength anti-freeze and 2 gallons of distilled water;
Start the engine and pour one gallon of anti-freeze and one gallon of water into the empty radiator;
If the car won't accept any more when the thermostat opens, you can return the second anti-freeze - otherwise,
Pour half of the 2nd water bottle into the empty coolant jug and then top it off from the 2nd anti-freeze bottle;
Pour the rest of the water into the 2nd anti-freeze bottle, and now you've got 2 gallons of pre-mixed, 1 more for the radiator and one for topping up later.

I know it sounds a little Die Hard 3/Simon Sez, but you'll have spent (at the minimum prices) only $20 for 4 gallons of mix, instead of $30 for 3 gallons of pre-mix... Who doesn't like half price? rock
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 11:45 am

[quote="95 super3800"]theres a lot of muck getting built up on the inside of my coolant resevior.[/quotewhen you have the cooltaint out of the system then take the resevior(remove the litle tube what goes to the radiator and some nuts)

when you have it off but a bit of SAND in it and somekind cleaning fluid like dich waching fluid (i'm not kiding...) and add some water in it till its 1/3 full.
then but the cap on the resevior and hold one finger on the place where the tube connects the resevior and SHAKE IT!...the sand will start to rube and hit the dirt off the walls and the cleaning fluid dos not let it get stuck again...do it so long till its clean...fluch it whit water....

I cleaned mine this way
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Actually, that does sound like a good way to clean the inside of those tanks surprised
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:05 pm

What's wrong with running straight anti-freeze? A 50/50 mix doesn't sound like it would be good for below zero temps.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:28 pm

I've heard straight antifreeze actually freezes sooner than a 50/50 mix! And without water I doubt it cools as well. Costs more than water, too.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Jack the R wrote:
What's wrong with running straight anti-freeze? A 50/50 mix doesn't sound like it would be good for below zero temps.

Jack,
Anti Freeze is good for corrosion protection, and to prevent freeze up. A/F actually does not transfers heat as well as water. The more A/F you use, the less heat transfer there is. That is why they tell you on the back of the container not to use more than 70% A/F to water. My neighbor actually had a chronic overheating problem that he could not figure out until he said to me "I don't understand it, I'm using 100% A/F". We drained half out, and added water. That did it. If you live in a warmer climate where there is no danger of freeze up, you are actually better off with 100% distilled water, and a bottle of Red Line water wetter or similar additive for corrosion protection. The water wetter lowers the surface tension of the water. It enhances heat transfer even more. That is what the Racers use. The engine runs cooler.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 7:43 pm

AA wrote:
I've heard straight antifreeze actually freezes sooner than a 50/50 mix!

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I've got straight anti-freeze in the Charger (not currently running, so no overheating worries), and it floats all the balls on the temperature tester (shows what temp your mix is good for).

When using a mix I've always found it difficult to get enough of the balls to float as is sometimes necessary. Drain a little, add antifreeze, drain a little, add antifreeze, drain a little, add antifreeze. . .
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Forget the floating balls.
Read the manufactures recommendations on proper mixture of anti-freeze and H2O.
50/50 provides the highest boiling point and the lowest freezing temp.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 pm

A 50/50 mix protects down to -34* How much more do you need?

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/gxu3-undiluted-antifreeze-freeze
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 2:37 pm

If you dig around, some sources show that using straight antifreeze (or less than 30% water) lets the coolant freeze (or gel) easier than using a mix.

Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Freeze_points

Both the green stuff and orange Dexron III coolant are ethylene glycol type antifreeze.

From Larry's link:

"As the name implies the third main function of antifreeze is to protect the cooling system from freezing. The way to achieve maximum freeze protection differs between ethylene and propylene glycol. For ethylene glycol the maximum protection is at 67% ethylene glycol in water. A ethylene glycol solution of this concentration will freeze at -84° F (pure ethylene glycol freezes at 8° F)."

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 7:05 am

There are numerous opinions about what anti freeze should be used to replace the antifreeze in your 95-99 Riviera.
Below is a link to a thread that contains many of those opinions and a great amount of information regarding Dex cool and the traditional "green" antifreeze as well as the "mixes with anything" antifreeze that is also available:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/care-maintenance-f8/gm-dexcool-coolant-antifreeze-t1364.htm?highlight=dexcool

Personally I buy the Dex cool concentrate and mix 50/50 with distilled water and use this mixture in our 99 Riviera.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

When I have used a chemical cleaner when flushing, after I drain it out of the car I like to do another run with just water in the system to be sure I have it sufficiently rinsed out and neutralized.
I always get more gunk with that second run.

Then after I drain that, I add my fresh new coolant.

I also mix the coolant closer to maybe 60 or 70% since there will still be a certain amount of plain water in the block yet.
I figure once it all gets mixed together in the engine I am then closer to a 50% mix.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 4:58 pm

AA wrote:
Both the green stuff and orange Dexron III coolant are ethylene glycol type antifreeze.
I was under the impression that DexCool (Orange) was Propylene Glycol, which is the supposed culprit in the LIM gasket failure.
Or am I incorrect on this.???? I guess I need to do some research as I can't remember anymore.
I used to know.....Duh.....Getting old SUCKS.
Can't remember shit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant   Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Flushing Radiator Coolant
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next