Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit

Go down 
+30
wee-one
bigdave
Abaddon
sqrivi
Bawb2u
deekster_caddy
nigelf
Eldo
crlombardi69
Rickw
robotennis61
Hometown Hero
GMFreak8
agrimm34
IBx1
RIVIERASC95
Lucas
T Riley
manofmany
riviera2454
steel2040
comanche221
allfalldown
AA
sburch23
NO 4 EVR
Gary
jax95riv
turtleman
robertwolf86
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 07, 2007 9:03 pm

Well I don't think humans can hear sounds past 20khz anyway. But hey, your dog will appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 07, 2007 9:14 pm

NO 4 EVR wrote:
Well I don't think humans can hear sounds past 20khz anyway. But hey, your dog will appreciate it!

true, that was kind of just the first example i thought of, not necessarily the best
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Lol, I know, I'm just joshin ya.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 07, 2007 11:53 pm

Yes, you can connect an amp to your head unit. The amp must be able to take speaker level inputs. My first audio upgrade used a 40 watts x 4ch amp and 10" sub with upgraded door speakers. I had the head unit amp power the rear speakers. the amp had a channel for each door speaker and the other two channels were bridged to power the sub. A Pac adapter was used to get a signal off the sub. It was definitely an improvement. The advantage was that I kept the steering wheel controls and stock appearance.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Rookie
Gary

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am

I'm happy with the factory system, but want more, but dont want to lose the factory look, or hack a door panel or two to get everything to fit.

I'd bet a complete system overhaul would be an easy way to drop 3K in a hurry.

More things to consider.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2007 1:07 am

One of the first things I did to my Riv was upgrade the stereo system. I'm very picky with how my music sounds; I'm not so much a bass head, but a listener of music. Sound quality was my goal. What I wanted was to have a decent volume level, and for the response to be flat (even) over the entire range.

To start with, I liked the stock head. It looks good in the car, it uses the steering controls, and it plays CDs. Good enough for me. Also, I like the volume knob... better than those stupid up/down buttons. But how did it sound? Not good in stock form, that's for sure. The CSII system had limited quality, and didn't get very loud. And forget about bass... non-existent.

Step one was to listen to the stock head on my Sony MDR-V500 headphones. I just wired an adapter up the the door speakers and drove them directly. Not that bad! I was surprised at the clarity and bass I heard. So I knew the speakers had to be the problem, and looking at them was easy to see why. Cheap, paper, low power... good for listening to AM talk radio, not much else.

Later I learned that our OEM head is the same one used in many other GM vehicles, including the higher-end Monsoon system available in the Regal and GTP. The Monsoon set-up uses an external amp and better speakers (including subs) to get much better sound. I decided I could do the same thing, building my own system off the stock head. To see how I did it, check my Cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/7

For under a grand invested, I am now very happy with the system. With a little EQ, I like the sound of the stock head so much, I actually bought an OEM replacement when my first one died. Not a huge amount of bass from an 8" sub, but enough to jam while driving the freeway with all windows open. That's all I wanted, really. If I had wanted more, I could've used a bigger amp/subs. Good luck with your new system!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2007 12:28 pm

I can assure you that unless theres different equipment in different years, our factory amps are not remote, built into the stock deck. That's why it's got the heat sink on the side of it. That's the difference in the monsoon system you can't see. It is a much more interesting job putting in after market equipment when you have factory remote amps. And even if the rivs came with monsoon, i'd still change it. Typically, the reason why they use remote amps for OEM applications is because they have systems that are more complicated than the simple 4 channel and they need some extra power and can't risk your dash catching on fire from the heat if you blast it for a while.
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Good point.
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

Name : Adam

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 9:07 pm

So, where does one wire in an external amp? I think that would help me with my problem - the stereo just doesn't get loud enough for me. By time I get the volume up, it is starting to lose bass or distort that part of the audio spectrum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevyorange.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2007 7:30 pm

allfalldown wrote:
So, where does one wire in an external amp? I think that would help me with my problem - the stereo just doesn't get loud enough for me. By time I get the volume up, it is starting to lose bass or distort that part of the audio spectrum.

to wire an external amp to the factory deck, you will be using the "high level inputs" on the amp. (get a 4 channel amp that has that or buy a converter separately.) So you need to run the wires that go to your speakers to the amp instead then run the amp wires to the speakers. It seems kind of weird to do but thats the only practical way to preserve the OEM deck in this case. Then of course make sure to adjust the amp gains so that you get it as loud as you want before you turn the volume too far up on the deck and get the same THD problem. I'm not aware of any suitable place for an amp other than the trunk on this car, especially a average size decent 4 channel. If you get the amp, you definitely want new speakers though. the higher output of the after market amp will basically max out the OEM speakers as soon as you leave the ranges of the OEM deck so if you dont replace the speakers, you can expect to blow the old speakers. thats not to say you need the most expensive speakers on the market but keep in mind, OEM speakers usually operate at less than 10 watts while you'll notice that the aftermarket are considerably higher.
Back to top Go down
comanche221
Special

Name : Mark

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 2:15 am

If u put in aftermarket speakers they are 4 ohm, factory are 10 ohm, so u have250% more power through the A M speakers!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 12:35 pm

comanche221 wrote:
If u put in aftermarket speakers they are 4 ohm, factory are 10 ohm, so u have250% more power through the A M speakers!

yes and no. when you bring the 10 ohm native amp down to 4 ohms, you get more current out of it, but with that you get more THD and the danger of amp failure. people do it all the time not knowing and usually it doesn't break so i'd say thats probably ok. the other thing is that that type of amp is very inefficient outside of the operating range of 9-12 ohms and will put out only very slightly more power and that small increase in power is the only reason why the after market speakers being used are even as loud as the OEM speakers. otherwise the more power efficient OEM speakers would actually be louder. (thats also why the original speakers are very easy to blow using an any after market amp - the amp wants to feed way more power than those speakers can use)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 8:52 am

Only the rear 6X9"s work at 10 ohms. The fronts are rated 4 ohms, so you won't get any more output with aftermarket speakers unless they are very sensitive (have a high SPL/1M/1W). Unfortunately, most speakers are less sensitive than our stock drivers.

If you want to get loud, get an amp(s). If your amp doesn't have high-level inputs, a high-to-low level converter can be used. They don't cost that much.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Aaron, I never bother to check this since I pulled the unit out but what is the combined resistance of the two front speakers? I saw the tweeter was 4ohm and I never had the original 5.1/4 to check.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 12:58 pm

It's still 4 ohms because the mid and tweeter play different musical bands.

When you wire two identical drivers (4 ohms ea) in parallel, you'll see 2 ohms, but since the tweeter is crossed over with a cap, it plays only the highs. The mids naturally play only the midrange sounds, so the impedance should be fairly consistent across the frequency range with both speakers wired together.

Keep in mind you can't measure DC resistance (ohms) with a meter to get true speaker impedance. Since audio signal is AC, speakers are rated in nominal impedance. The typical 4 ohm speaker actually measures about 3 ohms DC.

The 6x9"s on the other hand, are 1-way drivers rated at 10 ohms each. I believe is to reduce output from the rear channels, as most systems tend to sound better set-up that way.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

Name : Adam

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 11:30 pm

OK - so I replaced my front speakers with a set of two-way coaxial units.

Am I missing any freq range on these because of any stock cross over to the old ones?

Such as the highs missing because I used the mid's wiring for my new speakers?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevyorange.com
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 9:14 am

No, you're okay. The "crossover" is just that little cap inline with the tweeter. As long as you tap in at the midrange, you're fine.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
steel2040

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 9:31 am

AA wrote:

The 6x9"s on the other hand, are 1-way drivers rated at 10 ohms each. I believe is to reduce output from the rear channels, as most systems tend to sound better set-up that way.

You are right on that the reason they are is to stage the sound since the 6x9's can handle alot more power. The stocks are ohmed up to keep an equal sound.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 9:34 am

Agreed. My system sounds best with the 6x9"s turned all the way down. I only fade to the rears when people are in the back seat. Most people won't do this, but when they hear mine they wonder how it sounds good. The secret is a combo of good quality front speakers, decent/clean power, proper EQ/crossover, tweeter angle, and a properly tuned sub. If you get it right, there's no need for rears at all.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
steel2040

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 9:43 am

I wouldnt say you dont need rears you still need it for stagging if you have dirrectonal 6x9 with the tweeter that moves try angleing each at the other a pilla i dont fade my 6x9s. On my aftermarket deck they still dont over power it with the great front speakers no matter front or back they clear. That was a trick my friend who owned a audio shop taught me. Oh and as for the sub i put the base controll right infront the gas release its hiden and its there at a snap smile. Long as you pair your speakers correctly even a cheap system can sound great.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 10:08 am

I once heard a SQ competition system that had a guitar pedal used as a delay - not an audible echo - but a variable delay that made the interior sound larger. As a listener you couldn't detect it, it just made the cabin sound more spacious, like a hall. After that, I shut my rears off and promised myself I'd never turn them up unless employing delay. Some heads have this feature built in now, but I like my stock head, so no rears. Sound stage seems right in front of me, and the Riv's flat dash provides a psychological stage as well.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Subs with Stock HU   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 6:47 pm

I know AA has this but I am wondering how hard is it to a hook a amp up if you have a stock head unit.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm not sure if there is a stock sub/amp or not but if there is you can get a special something and run your setup. I could help you further if I wenret drunk.
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 10:42 pm

I am looking at getting what AA has for his. I am curious to how well it works and how excatly you hook it up.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:12 am

riviera2454 wrote:
I am looking at getting what AA has for his. I am curious to how well it works and how excatly you hook it up.

you can hook up your reference wires to the rear speakers..... that how i had my subs/amp hooked up before i got a deck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit   FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades with Factory Head Unit
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next