Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)

Go down 
+39
mattsaari
chitown_riv98
96_Juggernaut
71stagegs
Johnny5
96riv
bmcd9179
turtleman
2000ws6transam
manofmany
knuckled1
Abaddon
Eldo
Its a car part now
Natesriv
woggy
Snowdog
albertj
keller
robotennis61
24198tom
L67
Rickw
96Super
lionfish
qprint
99Rivman
T Riley
Sag
1998 Riv
RhinoFLA
AA
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
Jason
Mr.Riviera
BillBoost37
dreww
mobcharge
43 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
mobcharge
Special

Name : Daniel
Merit : 0

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 am

Hi everybody, i just purchased a 96 riviera, the old owner did´nt want to spend more money because it ran REALLY bad.

So me beeing a total newbie when it comes to cars newer than 1975 decided to see if i could find the problem, and i think i did.

The problem is a vacuum coupler that connects the throttle body with the supercharger and a vacum canister (see below) its totally messed up and rather than trying to just kinda get it to work with couplers and hoses etc id like to find the original.

see the picture below, the large ends goes into the throttle body, the small end goes to the supercharger (the plastic line that you see on the pics is the one commning from the supercharger, it seems broken since it should be way longer to fit the coupling) and the medium sized goes to a metal line that conects to some kind of a canister.

So does anybody know what parts im looking for, were to find em and/or if i should just use hoses and a 3 sized vacuum coupler?

I would REALLY apreciate some help!

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) Stuff
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 1:54 am

ive had to replace almost all of my vacuum lines. and will probably need to again before its all said and done.
next time I will use SILICONE hoses only. They withstand the heat better.

that being said, I just went to an autoparts store and bought generic replacement hose. Vacuum leaks are rampant on this car and cause alot of problems due to it being a forced induction engine.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 6:59 am

Agreed on using regular vacuum hose.

If you go with silicone, get premium stuff that you probably can't buy at the parts store. I've tried the cheap stuff, and that's what I got.. cheap stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 4:59 pm

you can not find that T fitting on the 96's at the auto store! it is dealer only b/c one of the ends is made smaller than the others. mine cracked on me and it messes up all kinds of stuff since the 96s trannys are vac controlled.
i can see if i can find the part # for you, but it comes as a small set in a bag for like $10.

Back to top Go down
mobcharge
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Oki, i followed your advice, got some couplers and a couple of different sized vacum hoses.

Went ahead and change the thermostat to a 180, change the old sparkplugs (went with the 605´s), changed oil and filter (got rid of old black tar and the crappy fram filter, replaced with mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter), changed the sparkplug wires and finally sealed a couple of other vacuum leaks.

Holly sh*t, it went from a car that ran like a sack of crap to a car that would outperform my old 69 mustang (with a stock 351 4v) in a heartbeat.

Happy!

Thanks smile
Back to top Go down
mobcharge
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
you can not find that T fitting on the 96's at the auto store! it is dealer only b/c one of the ends is made smaller than the others. mine cracked on me and it messes up all kinds of stuff since the 96s trannys are vac controlled.
i can see if i can find the part # for you, but it comes as a small set in a bag for like $10.

Oh, if you could that would be great, even tho it works now i´d rather go with a stock one.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:04 pm

nice job!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 pm

part # 24503990 for the vac line pack
and part # 24503881 for the harness
i cant remember which one had the T but they cost me 15.00 for both back in 2005.
it was a special vintage order item too.

Back to top Go down
mobcharge
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks alot, next time im around a delaership ill place an order.
Im beyond pleased with this car!

Nice to have a fun daily driver to complement my fun car (78 trans am with a lt1 engine, aluminum heads, 4 wheel dics etc etc) smile
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 5:31 pm

mobcharge wrote:
Oki, i followed your advice, got some couplers and a couple of different sized vacum hoses.

Went ahead and change the thermostat to a 180, change the old sparkplugs (went with the 605´s), changed oil and filter (got rid of old black tar and the crappy fram filter, replaced with mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter), changed the sparkplug wires and finally sealed a couple of other vacuum leaks.

Holly sh*t, it went from a car that ran like a sack of crap to a car that would outperform my old 69 mustang (with a stock 351 4v) in a heartbeat.

Happy!

Thanks smile
Awesome! Congrats for getting a great deal and a fun car!
Back to top Go down
mobcharge
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks, i have one more question tho.. wink

Were is the PCV valve located?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am

Remove the engine cover if equipped. Then looking at the throttle body end of the supercharger, there is a black plate on top of the SC about 4 inches away from the TB and about 2-3 inches away from the large vacuum distribution on top of the charger. Under that little plate is the PCV.

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) P1010551

Flat black plate with two bolts up and to the left of the vacuum distribution.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Ok so i replaced a few vacuum lines that i broke when replacing my boost bypass valve and am not sure if i routed them correctly...car is running fine just not looking right for some reason.. Can anyone post some pictures of the vacuum routing on a 96? thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:38 pm

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) Img_0410
will that do, or do you need another angle?

Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 pm

If you could get one from the other side of that it would be great ... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 pm

other side of the BBV or other side or the engine? there is only 1 line running the back side of the engine, and it goes around up under the snout of the blower.
FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) P1280010

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) P1280011

Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Ok i see what im missing now... Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 7:08 pm

When you open the PCV, be careful the spring doesn't pop out. it can shoot quite a distance!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Yeah...now you tell me... I found that out the hardway....good thing theres some wiring that got in the way.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 6:13 am

Mr.Riviera wrote:
other side of the BBV or other side or the engine? there is only 1 line running the back side of the engine, and it goes around up under the snout of the blower.
FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) P1280010

[

lol, did you break the nipple off the end of the BBV and had to rig it too?

looks like some southern engineering there.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 7:35 am

wink
that was one of the first things i had to fix when i got this car, and it has held for 5 years.
it may not look pretty, but it works rock

Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 am

No but i did break the T-fitting for the at the throttle body that connects to transmission... I Called a dealer and they searched and told me the part was discontinued. So i had to rig that into place...I'll post pics up later in case anyone else goes through the same thing... Also since i fixed the valve it seems to have regained some boost.( losing traction in upper rpms now in first...although that could have something to do with the cold as well.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Vacuum Parts   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 pm

A few days ago, my boost gauge started jumping from 10 vac to 20 vac, there was no in between.. and when i got up around 7-8 psi, it would start jumping around like it was on some crazy illegal substance.. I finally popped the hood and the rubber Tee I was using was totally destroyed and cracked. I found another one at autozone, (the same exact one) but I don't want to have to keep replacing them (not that it's hard or expensive, I just want one that will last more then 4k miles..) Can anyone reccomend a quality vacuum T fitting, and some quality vacuum hose to replace the plastic crap that came with the gauge?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Do you know the specs on the T? OD, or what hose ID fits? It's possible I could come up with something in steel.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 am

why does it keep breaking would be my first question. there should be no stress on the T fitting unless it is rubbing against something. you are talking about the one on the rear of the blower housing that connects below the snout?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)   FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC) Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Vacuum Hoses & Lines (Series II SC)
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next