Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

No brake pressure....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
senabunns
Amateur
senabunns

Name : Kyle Sena
Merit : 0

No brake pressure.... Empty
PostSubject: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 am

ok so i dont know if all this is related to each other or just two coincidences. the other day my emergency break light came on for no reason and has not turned off since, and than this morning i get in nd head out to work and realize that i have absolutely no break pressure under the pedal. the car will stop if i put the pedal all the way down to the floor. any help would ne greatly apreacheated.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 am

What you call the "emergency break light" is misleading. It is, in fact, the brake system warning light, and if it comes on it means you have air in the system, or your emergency brake is on. In this case it means you are low on fluid.

Check your fluid level. You are low.

You will need to bleed the brakes to get the air out of the system.

You will also need to find the leak, or the reason you are low on fluid. It could be that low because your pads are completely worn and the pistons are holding all the fluid, or you have a leak somewhere.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am

agree I think you have a leak. Usually worn pads won't cause the fluid level to go down to the point where you can't stop (no pressure), but they could set off the brake light, indicating low fluid level. The fact that this happened so quickly (we'll assume) indicates a bad leak, imo.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
senabunns
Amateur
senabunns

Name : Kyle Sena
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 am

can this also be caused by a failing master cylinder? also if it is a leak how could i go about locateing it?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:50 am

It's possible the master cyl is failing, but you still have a leak. The fluid could be leaking into the vacuum booster, but would probably find it's way out the bottom of the booster, or onto your foot...

The only way to locate a leak that I know of is visually. You should see fluid under the car... somewhere. If not, add fluid and start bleeding the brakes. While bleeding you are constantly pressurizing the system and watch all the lines, all around. Sooner or later you'll see the fluid dripping from somewhere it's not supposed to.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:21 am

If it were a bad master cylinder, the fluid wouldn't leak out, and the brake warning light probably wouldn't come on. The symptom of a bad MC is usually a slow loss of pressure, and when you get to the floor, there's no braking pressure. Pumping the brakes will let you stop the car with a bad MC.

Usually we don't hear about MCs going bad on Rivieras. Mine's still original at almost 190k miles.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Our Master Cylinder went out. The brake pedal would go down to about 1/2" off the floor and if I REALLY mashed it to the floor to stop.

Replaced it and we have good pedal now.

Check the fluid, fill if need be. Bleed all the calipers to make sure. If theres no air and the pedals still real soft way down, replace the Master Cylinder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No brake pressure....   No brake pressure.... Empty

Back to top Go down

No brake pressure....
Page 1 of 1