HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 indy newb

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
IndyRivi
Newbie


Name : JCrespo
Joined : 2009-09-06
Post Count : 8
Merit : 0

PostSubject: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 am

Hi from indy.
Looking at purchasing a GM employees 99 diamond white riv with tan int this friday (payday) and its pretty cherry.
Just wanted to introduce myself. Are there any other members in Indiana?
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast


Name : Jerred
Age : 27
Location : Kentucky
Joined : 2009-02-20
Post Count : 136
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:47 am

Welcome to the board!

Im not from Indiana, but a little south from Kentucky.

What part of Indiana you in? Indianapolis? Based on the name.
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
avatar

Name : Marty
Age : 39
Location : S. Central Indiana
Joined : 2008-05-21
Post Count : 115
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:58 am

Greetings.
I'm in Columbus, IN.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Bert
Location : North Alabama
Joined : 2008-02-03
Post Count : 1701
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Congratulation on the find and welcome aboard.
Thats my favorite color.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
IndyRivi
Newbie


Name : JCrespo
Joined : 2009-09-06
Post Count : 8
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:50 pm

krazyfish wrote:
Welcome to the board!

Im not from Indiana, but a little south from Kentucky.

What part of Indiana you in? Indianapolis? Based on the name.

yep I'm on the east side of indianapolis.

I did run it to my mechanic to run codes and it needs a fuel solenoid and a boost regulator or whatever those two things under the cover are. Looks like easy fixes but he said theyre hard to find.

Anyone know where I can find em?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Bert
Location : North Alabama
Joined : 2008-02-03
Post Count : 1701
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:05 pm

IndyRivi wrote:
krazyfish wrote:
Welcome to the board!

Im not from Indiana, but a little south from Kentucky.

What part of Indiana you in? Indianapolis? Based on the name.

yep I'm on the east side of indianapolis.

I did run it to my mechanic to run codes and it needs a fuel solenoid and a boost regulator or whatever those two things under the cover are. Looks like easy fixes but he said theyre hard to find.

Anyone know where I can find em?

If there are no driveability problems or symptons or SES light you might consider clearing the codes and see if they reappear before replacing any components.

How about the car....how many miles and how much?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
IndyRivi
Newbie


Name : JCrespo
Joined : 2009-09-06
Post Count : 8
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:19 pm

my mechanic, Darwin, cleared the codes but you can tell when you open the fuel door theres way too much pressure. as far as the boost controller, ill sit on it and see what happens I guess.

The car has 141k with a sunroof and factory chromies and maybe upgraded sound but im throwing in a new system. Shes was asking 3500 but she said she would take 3000. Seemed high at first but shes replaced the charger alternator and done all maintenance on it. Plus you have to love the feel of floating at 100mph
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Bert
Location : North Alabama
Joined : 2008-02-03
Post Count : 1701
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 pm

IndyRivi wrote:
my mechanic, Darwin, cleared the codes but you can tell when you open the fuel door theres way too much pressure. as far as the boost controller, ill sit on it and see what happens I guess.

The car has 141k with a sunroof and factory chromies and maybe upgraded sound but im throwing in a new system. Shes was asking 3500 but she said she would take 3000. Seemed high at first but shes replaced the charger alternator and done all maintenance on it. Plus you have to love the feel of floating at 100mph

I would say buy it.

Be careful with aftermarket electronics, these cars dont like them.
In the "Write-Ups" at the top of the page you will find tons of info.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Bert
Location : North Alabama
Joined : 2008-02-03
Post Count : 1701
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:42 pm

IndyRivi wrote:
my mechanic, Darwin, cleared the codes but you can tell when you open the fuel door theres way too much pressure. as far as the boost controller, ill sit on it and see what happens I guess.

The car has 141k with a sunroof and factory chromies and maybe upgraded sound but im throwing in a new system. Shes was asking 3500 but she said she would take 3000. Seemed high at first but shes replaced the charger alternator and done all maintenance on it. Plus you have to love the feel of floating at 100mph

I wonder if anyone has tried replacing the gas cap to make sure somehow that is not causing the problem. study
Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6593
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:31 pm

IndyRivi wrote:
krazyfish wrote:
Welcome to the board!

Im not from Indiana, but a little south from Kentucky.

What part of Indiana you in? Indianapolis? Based on the name.

yep I'm on the east side of indianapolis.

I did run it to my mechanic to run codes and it needs a fuel solenoid and a boost regulator or whatever those two things under the cover are. Looks like easy fixes but he said theyre hard to find.

Anyone know where I can find em?
IF in fact you need those parts try monsterautoparts.com -or- a GM dealer. There are some later model GM cars using the same engine, engine parts for the 99s are not all unobtanium yet.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Albert, it's "monsterpartsonline.com" not monsterautoparts.com. They are an online discount GM dealer. I highly recommend them for GM parts.
Back to top Go down
IndyRivi
Newbie


Name : JCrespo
Joined : 2009-09-06
Post Count : 8
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:19 pm

ibmoses wrote:

I wonder if anyone has tried replacing the gas cap to make sure somehow that is not causing the problem. study
Bert tavis

Actually, theres a valve on the tank thats suppose to help regulate the pressure but we manually opened it and closed it without a prob, He then checked the wiring and found the part was defective.

Its helpful to have a good mechanic with free estimates smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Age : 58
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6074
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Make sure you check all your local auto parts stores first for those item's. I've found NAPA to carry things that other auto parts stores told me were dealer only and vice-verse.
If you can post pic's of what you need I might be able to get you the GM P/N which will help your search on www.Monsterpartsonline.com greatly.
Sometimes they won't show a part as available but if you plug in the P/N then it will pop up as available. They're prices are generally 40 - 50% of retail for OEM GM parts. I've gone through them for many parts, sometimes it may take a week or more to receive the parts but if you can wait it's worth it.

For a 1999:
The Boost By-pass Valve (vacuum operated) GM # 1997244 (less than $25.00 at monsterparts)
I think the other thing you are talking about is the: Canister Purge Valve P/N 1997289 (less than $18.00 at monsterparts)
You'll need to verify these are the parts you need before buying them.
One way I do it when I'm not sure what P/N I need is to go to my local GM dealer parts counter and ask to see the pictures of what it is I think I need (play dumb) and he rotates the screen for me to see and then I ask for a print out of the part numbers because I can't afford to buy or order today. Then explain, when I come back we won't have to look up the numbers again and I can just order them by P/N. It also gives you a chance to see how much they cost from GM retail. Then I just take the part numbers and plug them in to monsterpartsonline.com search engine and voila.

You didn't say if you had an SES light on or not. I would think the canister purge valve would trip a light as it is part of the emission control system. But I don't know for sure. You did say your mechanic retrieved codes though. Do you know what those codes are. It would help determine the exact parts you need.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6593
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:20 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Albert, it's "monsterpartsonline.com" not monsterautoparts.com. They are an online discount GM dealer. I highly recommend them for GM parts.

thanks you are right, sorry indy I was in way too much of a hurry. monsterautoparts is not a site I have used. monsterpartsonline is a good site.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
IndyRivi
Newbie


Name : JCrespo
Joined : 2009-09-06
Post Count : 8
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Rickw wrote:
Make sure you check all your local auto parts stores first for those item's. I've found NAPA to carry things that other auto parts stores told me were dealer only and vice-verse.
If you can post pic's of what you need I might be able to get you the GM P/N which will help your search on www.Monsterpartsonline.com greatly.
Sometimes they won't show a part as available but if you plug in the P/N then it will pop up as available. They're prices are generally 40 - 50% of retail for OEM GM parts. I've gone through them for many parts, sometimes it may take a week or more to receive the parts but if you can wait it's worth it.

For a 1999:
The Boost By-pass Valve (vacuum operated) GM # 1997244 (less than $25.00 at monsterparts)
I think the other thing you are talking about is the: Canister Purge Valve P/N 1997289 (less than $18.00 at monsterparts)
You'll need to verify these are the parts you need before buying them.
One way I do it when I'm not sure what P/N I need is to go to my local GM dealer parts counter and ask to see the pictures of what it is I think I need (play dumb) and he rotates the screen for me to see and then I ask for a print out of the part numbers because I can't afford to buy or order today. Then explain, when I come back we won't have to look up the numbers again and I can just order them by P/N. It also gives you a chance to see how much they cost from GM retail. Then I just take the part numbers and plug them in to monsterpartsonline.com search engine and voila.

You didn't say if you had an SES light on or not. I would think the canister purge valve would trip a light as it is part of the emission control system. But I don't know for sure. You did say your mechanic retrieved codes though. Do you know what those codes are. It would help determine the exact parts you need.

The SES light was on but I got the codes cleared so I dont know which ones they are anymore.

Once I get the car, I should be able to take a picture and post it
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Eric
Location : Indianapolis, IN
Joined : 2007-07-31
Post Count : 1159
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 pm

Sorry, chime'n late here. I live rigth outside Indianapolis in Plainfield. PRJ Performance is on the west side of town (close to New Palestiene). I think there is another member from Greencastle... Maybe we can get together at some of these small car shows around the area.
Back to top Go down
IndyRivi
Newbie


Name : JCrespo
Joined : 2009-09-06
Post Count : 8
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: indy newb   Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:14 am

ewolfe0050 wrote:
Sorry, chime'n late here. I live rigth outside Indianapolis in Plainfield. PRJ Performance is on the west side of town (close to New Palestiene). I think there is another member from Greencastle... Maybe we can get together at some of these small car shows around the area.

Sounds good. Last show I was at was at Edward's Drive-In on the southside. It was an old school meet and they usually have a few lookers there over the weekends. Whatds PRJ specialize in?
Back to top Go down
 
indy newb
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Indy motorama/world of wheels show
» Indy World of Wheels
» Linda and I at Mecum in Indy...Eye Candy for 45 and older
» Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural
» Indy car show/swap meet

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: