Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

IAT SENSOR.. whats next??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
esquire23
Amateur
esquire23

Name : Ty
Merit : 0

IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? Empty
PostSubject: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:26 pm

ok so i just recently got my fwi installed but i still have one loose end.. the IAT sensor.. where can i put it without cutting into the tube b/cuz thats obviously a nono

theres always the solution of the extension cable but even with that where would i run it??
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 pm

I left mine where yours is for a few months... taped it over to the side. It's not totally accurate, but reasonably close. The FWI draws a lot of air from the engine compartment area anyway. Otherwise, when you upgrade to an N* and LQ4 MAF, you won't have to worry about the temp sender anymore as it's contained in the LQ4! wink
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:38 pm

If you drill a hole in the fenderwell sheet metal, it can go in there. You can also drill a hole through the intake tube, no problem. I wouldn't keep it in the bay, because it can pull some timing (PCM thinks it air is hot) when you are actually bringing in cool air. Putting it in the intake tube will cool it down the fastest, letting your engine have the timing it needs to make more power. Whatever you do, keep the IAT sensor away from the TB area.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
esquire23
Amateur
esquire23

Name : Ty
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:52 pm

AA wrote:
If you drill a hole in the fenderwell sheet metal, it can go in there. You can also drill a hole through the intake tube, no problem. I wouldn't keep it in the bay, because it can pull some timing (PCM thinks it air is hot) when you are actually bringing in cool air. Putting it in the intake tube will cool it down the fastest, letting your engine have the timing it needs to make more power. Whatever you do, keep the IAT sensor away from the TB area.

at the risk of sounding like a dumbass your saying its as easy as cutting into the tube and inserting the little grey and blue piece?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 5:07 pm

And sealing it off with some RTV or Silicone sealant. Don't get any sealant on the temp probe itself, just try and seal the sensor flange to the tube and let it cure overnight before you use the car. Try and make as precise a cut in the tube as you can and it will come out good and last long time.

I just looked at your picture above and didn't see the IAT sensor. I see the connector that goes to the sensor, but no sensor.???
Is it still in the stock airbox? If so, remove it from the box and plug it into the harness even if you don't mount it in the new tube. You have to have the sensor hooked up or you will get a SES light.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 5:17 pm

esquire23 wrote:

at the risk of sounding like a dumbass your saying its as easy as cutting into the tube and inserting the little grey and blue piece?

No, the blue/gray piece is just the connector. The IAT sensor is in the wall of the stock airbox. You need to remove it and figure out how to affix it in the tubing wall, or somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 5:18 pm

BTW, the sensor comes out with like a 1/4 or 1/2 twist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IAT SENSOR.. whats next??   IAT SENSOR.. whats next?? Empty

Back to top Go down

IAT SENSOR.. whats next??
Page 1 of 1