Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Car won't start.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:29 am

Maybe the car misses me...maybe it knows I'm trying to sell, but either way I have a big problem. My damn car won't start. It makes no noise from the engine bay, just a clicking noise like a switch that won't work when you turn the key. Gauge lights are very dim inside and my HID's don't have enough voltage to turn on. Could be the battery, but it's definitely something electrical.

Sigh...anyone with advice please please please chime in.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:31 am

Also, what's the best way to jump start a Riv?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 am

I'd say battery. Pull out the back seat and connect to the battery directly. I've had little luck with the connector in the engine bay.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:08 am

TonySmooth89 wrote:
I'd say battery. Pull out the back seat and connect to the battery directly. I've had little luck with the connector in the engine bay.

I agree with the jumping technique. The jumper post under the hood makes a very poor outside connection.

The problem seems like it's either a weak/discharged battery or the battery connection, most likely the connection between the cable(s) and the battery itsself. Pull the rear seat cushion out and check those connections. If you can, test the battery but you can just try to charge it. Try to use a battery charger if possible, rather than jumping it and charging it with the car (alternator)
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 7:16 am

Charge the battery or jump start it. Classic symptoms of low voltage.

When's the last time you drove it? How old is your battery?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:56 am

The battery is less than 3 years old, and while I haven't driven it for 2 weeks, my dad has been starting it regularly; every 2 or 3 days. We don't have a charger, but I'll try to pull the rear seat and jump it with the Subaru from there.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 10:24 am

A battery charger is a great investment, go ahead and use this as an excuse to buy one. A man needs these things. Whenever the opportunity presents itself to get stuff like this, go for it.
Sears is always a good bet in a pinch or perhaps Advance but I am sure you can find a great one for a bargain by searching the internet.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 am

I'll get one once I have money. What type of jumper cables should I buy? 150A? I'm new at this.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:11 am

IBx1 wrote:
The battery is less than 3 years old, and while I haven't driven it for 2 weeks, my dad has been starting it regularly; every 2 or 3 days. We don't have a charger, but I'll try to pull the rear seat and jump it with the Subaru from there.

You are better off to let it sit. It needs to run for 15-20 minutes to recharge the battery from your start, just starting and letting it idle will kill your bearings and does not help the battery. If the car is going to sit for a while, let it sit and go buy a 'battery tender' or some similar device to maintain it's charge. So over time, you are just killing your motor and battery by starting it a few times a week.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:12 am

FWIW I have had good luck jumping from the positive post under the hood and grounding to the strut tower bolts. No need to pull the rear seat as long as you have good jumper cables. Just let the source car charge your car's battery for a minute or two before trying to start it.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 11:34 am

We plan on starting it and taking it to sears for a new battery.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Ok, my dad texted me saying the trickle charger we bought worked on the car, and it started up fine...dodged an expensive bullet this time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Car won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car won't start.   Car won't start. Empty

Back to top Go down

Car won't start.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: