Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...

Go down 
+3
deekster_caddy
Rickw
manofmany
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... Empty
PostSubject: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:00 pm

This has happened twice now lol. The first time I looked in my mirror and nobody was behind me. It felt like someone rolled into the back of the car. Today it happened again.

The only logical thing I could think of is that the rear shock(s) are sticking and decide to release or something else is wrong with them. Anyone had this happen before?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:23 pm

It's a 2 Speed rear end.
Never heard of this one before.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:38 pm

What direction do you 'bump'? Bad trans mount?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 pm

check your rear body mounts..
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 pm

It's really almost an up/down motion from the rear end. I'll have to check the rear body mounts. I've never felt anything like it. Sitting there with the brakes on and all the sudden the car jolts from the back end.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Hold the parking brake while coming to a stop, then release it once you have stopped. Does it feel the same?

Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 pm

I had something similar happen to me in my last car. It ended up being the brakes. The brake line was leaking, but only after coming to a stop and having the pressure in the lines build up did it leak, and release pressure on the back brakes causing it to literally feel like you were being rearended.
Back to top Go down
woggy
Enthusiast
woggy

Name : Paul
Location : Altoona, Florida (Somewhere in the ocala national forest)
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:13 pm

it does sound like the rear calipers are freezing or binding. its very common for the sliders in these calipers to lock up. especially up in the north where you have winter and salt.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 pm

woggy wrote:
it does sound like the rear calipers are freezing or binding. its very common for the sliders in these calipers to lock up. especially up in the north where you have winter and salt.

That's what happened to mine actually just recently too.

By the way, I don't know what I just did, but I somehow managed to "cast my vote" on your post above. So sorry or you're welcome depending on what that actually did... lol
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 am

GMFreak8 wrote:
By the way, I don't know what I just did, but I somehow managed to "cast my vote" on your post above. So sorry or you're welcome depending on what that actually did... lol

see

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/board-news-f2/merit-value-integrity-scores-t5717.htm
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 12:02 pm

Definitely check out the rear calipers and HOSES.
Many years ago a friend of mine had a similar problem and replaced only the calipers only to find the calipers still locking up on one side.
It turned out to be the hose had deteriorated / collapsed internally and was trapping the fluid under pressure to the caliper and would release it very slowly. There was no sign externally of a problem with the hose, just looked like a typical used brake hose.
I've come to find out since then that it is not an uncommon method of failure for the hoses..
So I would replace, and I do on my own cars, the calipers with re-man units and buy new hoses just to be safe.
Considering the age of the hoses and presuming they have never been changed, it is a good safety measure to change them out.
It makes for a good opportunity to change to braided stainless hoses.
Which reminds me, I bought new Raybestos hoses for the rear of my car along with re-man calipers. I used the rear hoses for only 2-3,000 miles before I did the upgrade to Stainless Steel Braided lines.
I'm willing to ship you these hose's for the cost of shipping if they will fit your car and if your interested. PM me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...   Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight... Empty

Back to top Go down

Felt like I was rearended while sitting at a stoplight...
Page 1 of 1