Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish

Go down 
+12
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
Abaddon
BrianEsser
robotennis61
flyineagle96
Tank
Rickw
T Riley
turtleman
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Abaddon wrote:
I just got a S/C with 60,000 mi on it for $78....gonna take that biatch apart and do exactly what this thread is about twisted .

The reason I got it so cheap......some tech at the dealer my buddy currently works at mis-diagnosed a "knocking" sound as the S/C coupler being bad. As the customer had GMPP warranty, they authorized S/C replacement (they don't rebuild). Turns out one of the idler pulleys was bad (not the coupler), so he "got" the S/C somehow. All I had to do was get a 3.4" pulley for his daughters GP and put it on......he gave me the damn thing happy

Robo, porting and polishing ANY engine will gain torque and HP. The more air you suck and blow, the faster you go! <--------I'm a poet?! wtf?!

cool!
gen3 or gen5?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 7:58 pm

DB's Previuos post.
well i ported and polished my throttle body it made noticeable gains first time that i ever did that to a car big difference i filed and sanded about 1.2 ' off it nice. doin your sc must make big difference my son is goin to do his sc like yours. thanks for the pics and info

Then Double DB posted the following really intelligent post:
flyineagle96 wrote:
first of all i wasn't talking to you, and second i filed 1/16", then sanded with various grit sandpaper and ended with 1500 grit until as smooth as a babies butt. i didn't want to spend a long time typing, I'm not that good at typing, but i am good at making fists... twisted
Lets dissect the above statement. First of all: You were posting on an open forum, not a private message board. You were talkin to everybody, Duh.
As to filing aluminum- It isn't done if you know what your doing, You grind then sand. A file will get full and ruined by Aluminum.
You did not say that you removed 1/16" of material, you wrote you filed 1.2'. ( what we don't know) As you say you were too lazy to make an accurate report of what you did for all others and maybe someone not too experienced to follow.
So, as I have been told before, If you can't post accurate information or are too lazy to, then don't post at all.!!!!
As far as being capable of making fists though, if that's your solution to being critiqued on here, then you should buy another file or two, to have, and teach your son the correct way to file a Supercharger, the Neanderthal way, with fist's clenched.
Good Riddance to you Sir.
WYGACKMHWA
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 9:59 pm

turtleman wrote:
cool!
gen3 or gen5?

It's a Gen III. I would love a Gen V, but hey, $78 and not having to take mine off to work on it.....priceless tongue

And maybe this doesn't belong in this topic, but I also got a Gen V engine minus the S/C, everything else is there......including brand new sets of Clevite crank and cam bearings, and ARP head bolts/studs. Another friend of mine spun the #5 and #6 rod bearings so he replaced his whole engine?! He just wanted it out of his garage so he gave it to me happy Can't wait to start the build!!!!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:16 pm

Quote :
i think i read somewhere that the most you can get from P&P on a S/C car ,is a little more throttle response. is that true?
I agree with turtle. P&P has little to do with throttle response (torque). Smoothing the internal pathways helps the engine breath with less turbulence at higher RPM, creating HP up top.

For more throttle response, just drop SC pulley size and control knock.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 9:46 am

Y

Last edited by flyineagle96 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 10:05 am

Rickw wrote:
DB's Previuos post.
well i ported and polished my throttle body it made noticeable gains first time that i ever did that to a car big difference i filed and sanded about 1.2 ' off it nice. doin your sc must make big difference my son is goin to do his sc like yours. thanks for the pics and info

Then Double DB posted the following really intelligent post:
flyineagle96 wrote:
first of all i wasn't talking to you, and second i filed 1/16", then sanded with various grit sandpaper and ended with 1500 grit until as smooth as a babies butt. i didn't want to spend a long time typing, I'm not that good at typing, but i am good at making fists... twisted
Lets dissect the above statement. First of all: You were posting on an open forum, not a private message board. You were talkin to everybody, Duh.
As to filing aluminum- It isn't done if you know what your doing, You grind then sand. A file will get full and ruined by Aluminum.
You did not say that you removed 1/16" of material, you wrote you filed 1.2'. ( what we don't know) As you say you were too lazy to make an accurate report of what you did for all others and maybe someone not too experienced to follow.
So, as I have been told before, If you can't post accurate information or are too lazy to, then don't post at all.!!!!
As far as being capable of making fists though, if that's your solution to being critiqued on here, then you should buy another file or two, to have, and teach your son the correct way to file a Supercharger, the Neanderthal way, with fist's clenched.
Good Riddance to you Sir.
WYGACKMHWA

Well said Rick! thumbsup

Judging from his posts, he types with fists too. Ha.

It's scary people like him work on these cars. no
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:47 pm

!

Last edited by flyineagle96 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Yup, and you got a reply to your pm. Now run along and welcome to my ignore list.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 4:06 pm

i think everyone should get a Prince Albert and shut the f..k up.

contrary to popular belief,its very relaxing.....
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 4:20 pm

I'll pass.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 5:18 pm

You guys' are sooooo immature..

was that just an oxymoron? hehehe
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
You guys' are sooooo immature.. was that just an oxymoron? hehehe

Please define what an Oxymoron is.????
Never mind I will for you.
One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot each other,
One was blind and the other couldn't see,
So they chose a dummy for a referee.
A blind man went to see fair play,
A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"
A paralyzed donkey passing by,
Kicked the blind man in the eye,
Knocked him through a nine inch wall,
Into a dry ditch and drowned them all,
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
And came to arrest the two dead boys,
If you don't believe this story’s true,
Ask the blind man; he saw it too!

Last edited by Rickw on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 8:10 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
i think everyone should get a Prince Albert and shut the f..k up.

contrary to popular belief,its very relaxing.....
I think you should keep your "Prince Albert" to yourself. If you know what I mean.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the price of Camel Hair in Mongolia.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

Semi detailed overview of the areas in positive displacement supercharger porting:
http://www.superchargerperformance.com/supercharger-performance-tips/positive-displacement-supercharger-modifications

Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

I didn't see that link until it came to this topic. Thanks Andrew & admin.

I found the part about the silencing vents enlightening. I've heard a lot about that from people but I like seeing another source say it too. They are pressure bleeds and it really makes me want to fill them on the project blower, despite my last experience.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:13 pm

very nice read! thank you. i've never heard of anyone porting the roof of a m90 though.

...anyone got a gen V for sale??

Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
very nice read! thank you. i've never heard of anyone porting the roof of a m90 though.

...anyone got a gen V for sale??

I could.. scratch mines ported.. and would come with a gasket matched LIM thats ported AND veryyy polished.. the blower is also polished on the outlet.. unknown if it was ported.. I'd need your Gen III nervous
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Great Link man. NOW I get it...... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:24 pm

some more work

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 CIMG1595
Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 CIMG1592
The one lip pretty much all polished
As of now, I don't plan on opening the outlet at all.

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 CIMG1596
That's the other lip fine sanded - not polished yet

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 CIMG1604
did a quick job on the bottom too just for shits really. I'm planning to get this all CNC'd along with the bridge removal and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Turtle wrote: "I'm planning to get this all CNC'd along with the bridge removal and whatnot.
So, the little bit of work in the previous picture was just to experiment and play around a bit, i gather.
With your intentions of having the outlet port milled and bridge removed, I have a question. Are you removing the bridge for Inter-cooling or not.
I've read where removing the bridge is only beneficial if your going to add an inter-cooler.
Is that what you are going to do.?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Rickw wrote:
Turtle wrote: "I'm planning to get this all CNC'd along with the bridge removal and whatnot.
So, the little bit of work in the previous picture was just to experiment and play around a bit, i gather.
With your intentions of having the outlet port milled and bridge removed, I have a question. Are you removing the bridge for Inter-cooling or not.
I've read where removing the bridge is only beneficial if your going to add an inter-cooler.
Is that what you are going to do.?

Right. This blower isn't going on until I have a full size IC.

The edges of the outlet triangle most likely will be retained since there's no work that needs to be done to them by a machine.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Rick, i removed my bridge and opened up the LIM when i ported mine but have not installed an I/C (yet). i see no down side to doing this if you think you might go I/C later. i still get full boost and have no KR with my mods and 15.5* timing.

Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:12 am

Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Some progress pics of my Gen V.
i've only been working on it today, but it will be similar in shine to turtleman's gen V above.

I used different grit sand paper up to 600wet. i will be using a buffing wheel on a drill with compound too.
Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 P6070010

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 P6070011

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 pm

i am trying to get someone at work to WELD the silencer vents closed too twisted

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish   Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: S/C Port & Polish
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next