Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New Trans

Go down 
+2
Jack the R
L8-2BNGO
6 posters
AuthorMessage
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

Name : Devin
Merit : 2

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: New Trans   New Trans EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 1:33 am

so i just got my new triple edge tranny install sat. and WOW. best modd I've ever done!!!! shifts like a no other and fast too! My car def got faster and is putting more power to the ground. i got the option 2. high performance stall, gears, and input shaft. case and point get one! if you got to take out a loan do it. its worth it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 3:24 am

I bet it is worth it, but anyone taking a loan out in a depression is asking for trouble.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 4:49 am

If you don't mind me asking how much did it all cost you at the end?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 7:40 am

Jack the R wrote:
I bet it is worth it, but anyone taking a loan out in a depression is asking for trouble.

unless you might be shilling for the rebuilder... which I understand. things are tight all over; good folks have to do whatever they can to get the word out.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 12:08 pm

ok well dont take out a loan, but you can save up like i did. it took me a year and a half to save up.
all together:

street/strip trans
2800 precision stall converter
3.29 with 7/8 chain
input shaft
shift kit.
etc.

$3274.84
install: $350

grand total : $3624.84

i love the gears becasue even if you spin in first when you shift into second your not struggling to get back into the power band.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Dave is a genius when it comes to trans. I can't praise him enough. Devin- it's time to go full blown on the engine mods now!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 9:22 pm

If a tranny is working, would it be worth it to get the Intense complete overhaul kit instead of the upgrade kit? I'm assuming the complete kit includes parts that wouldn't need to be replaced unless you'd fragged you're tranny. Maybe I'm wrong. But if you can get the tranny upgraded for around $2000, that's a real good deal!
Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 am

ewolfe0050 wrote:
Dave is a genius when it comes to trans. I can't praise him enough. Devin- it's time to go full blown on the engine mods now!

Oh i plan to!!! rockers then northstar, then genV and maybe if i get crazy......... 75 shot!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Jack the R wrote:
If a tranny is working, would it be worth it to get the Intense complete overhaul kit instead of the upgrade kit? I'm assuming the complete kit includes parts that wouldn't need to be replaced unless you'd fragged you're tranny. Maybe I'm wrong. But if you can get the tranny upgraded for around $2000, that's a real good deal!
JR, I just looked on Intense's site to see what you were talking about and i'm a little confused as well.
Does the price include just the parts necessary to do the overhaul or does it include them doing the parts swap.
By looking at the list of parts for each I think you are correct on assuming that one kit doesn't include the "non-needed parts". But anytime a rebuilder totally disassembles a Trans they always want to replace everything anyway regardless of mileage.
At least that's been my experience.
I'm still confused on what they are selling though. Service with parts or just parts.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Rickw wrote:
Jack the R wrote:
JR, I just looked on Intense's site to see what you were talking about and i'm a little confused as well.
Does the price include just the parts necessary to do the overhaul or does it include them doing the parts swap.
By looking at the list of parts for each I think you are correct on assuming that one kit doesn't include the "non-needed parts". But anytime a rebuilder totally disassembles a Trans they always want to replace everything anyway regardless of mileage.
At least that's been my experience.
I'm still confused on what they are selling though. Service with parts or just parts.

yep - replacing 'everything' reduces the rebuilder's risk if they are using good parts.

What I kind of wonder is what's going on in the factory with building the trannies in the first place. I have over 100,000 miles on my rebuild 9done locally) and it is showing *NO* signs of incipient problems.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 pm

When I had my trans rebuild, the rebuilder knew of the so called weak points in these transmissions and upgraded or solved the potential problems with parts available to him through the aftermarket. These (modified) parts were not available through the dealer.
The Dealership Service Manager and his Trans Tech both, would not guarantee me that a specific problem I was having would be solved by them doing an overhaul or just replacing the suspect parts.
That's when I looked up an old friend that used to work for a GM dealership rebuilding transmissions and now has an independent shop and knows all the tricks. He wasn't allowed by the dealership to use some of the aftermarket "fixes" that are known to solve problem area's with these model transmissions. Go figure.
If I had known about all the upgrades available in the high performance world I would have bought all these parts and had him install them during rebuild.
At the time, my car was bone stock and I didn't know about this web site or all the performance parts available for the 3800. So he probably didn't mention buying these types of parts assuming i was going to keep the engine stock.
Now I have the bug and am somewhat afraid of putting to many lb/ft of torque to the wheels. It could get very expensive if I blow this trans up. The original was covered under a now expired extended warranty. The next one I'll have to pay for.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 12:14 am

What I've been wondering about is the longevity of those "non weak link" parts. I can understand why a rebuilder would want to cover his ass and replace everything with new. It doesn't cost him anything if we buy parts we don't need, but he's out a big chunk of change if something does fail.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Intense wouldn't sell the upgrade kit unless the non-weak-link parts were extremely durable. There aren't a whole lot of low mileage L67 cars out there any more.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:26 am

Jack the R wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Intense wouldn't sell the upgrade kit unless the non-weak-link parts were extremely durable. There aren't a whole lot of low mileage L67 cars out there any more.
I would have to agree with you and since I've had mine rebuilt to say factory spec's with a shift kit, then an Upgrade from Intense or someone else would be do-able in my case.
I'm still confused on what they are selling, is it parts with installation or just the parts for the prices listed.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I think it's only the parts.

The description of the upgrade kit suggests it's for trannies that have already been rebuilt. Maybe not for stock trannies with 90k on them? But I've read that it's usually only one part that fails in our trannies. Some kind of pin breaks, IIRC, and then everything else comes loose and frags itself. But that doesn't seem to be what happened to AA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Trans   New Trans Empty

Back to top Go down

New Trans
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: