The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
stan
Aficionado

Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:38 pm

Pics please
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:31 pm

2nd pic is my jack point it's a little dark I just took it, I think I'll have to por-15 all these areas
Back to top Go down
stydel311
Enthusiast

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 am

I had the back seat out of my Riviera 2 weeks ago to fix a rattle and found some rust unfortunately.  Most of what I saw was along the bottom edge of the little pass-through in the drivers rear wheel well for the fuel filler neck to go to the tank.  There was no signs of water intrusion, so I'm hoping it hadn't gone too far and what I did was enough to hold it back.

Here are some shots of the rust (behind rear seat's left side):

I used a wire brush to clean it up as much as possible, then vacuumed up anything loose left over, finishing with wiping it down with denatured alcohol as best as possible.  I applied several light coats of Rustoleum Rust Converter making sure to get it into all of the crevices.

I then decided I should probably pull the plastic cover off in the left rear wheel well and see what it looked like inside.  I'm glad I did this, because holy crap was it filled with junk.  I ended up using a screw driver to scrape it up and then sucked it out with a shop vac little by little because it was so packed in.  I'm guessing this had never been done before and what I sucked up had been collecting since 1997.  I'm sure after driving in the rain this would stay wet for days afterward.  With cold weather and not having a lot of time to paint stuff, I cleaned it out as best as possible and then soaked the whole area with Fluid Film pretty heavily.  This should last for a while until I can do something more permanent, or at least keep it clean saturated with fluid film regularly.  Hopefully making it all permanently oily with Fluid Film didn't make it impossible to take further steps to stop this if necessary down the road at a later date. Sorry about the sideways photos, apparently ServImg doesn't like vertical phone pictures, so they're all rotated left.

So if you haven't ever looked behind the cover in your left rear wheel well, you might want to take a peak and see what it looks like inside.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado

Name : Larry
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Yup, mine is a lot worse than that. Northeast road salt winters. I wire brushed it and hit it with rust converter. Just trying to limit the future damage. It is why the top of the fuel tank rots (locking tabs for the fuel pump)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 am

I'd say keep an eye on your subframe and rear shock area where the shocks mount to the car
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :
Merit : 134

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 am

chitown_riv98 wrote:
I'd say keep an eye on your subframe and rear shock area where the shocks mount to the car

I just replaced my rear subframe and rebuilt the spring perches.
Back to top Go down

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Exterior-
Jump to: