Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Basic sound deadening for the Riviera

Go down 
+7
rivman96
sqrivi
Rickw
albertj
AA
robotennis61
agrimm34
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Basic sound deadening for the Riviera - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic sound deadening for the Riviera   Basic sound deadening for the Riviera - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:17 am

VegasScott wrote:
Here's an idea (although slightly off topic)...

Here in Vegas, we all have these cheap ass, "aluminum can thin" garage doors. I wonder if you could use that thermal lizard skin stuff to coat the backside of the garage door? It would make the garage door sound a little more solid, and potentially could help insulate the door a bit better.

VegasScott

Depends on whether the door gets hot enough to melt it back off.

I suspect that in applications that are not in direct sun it'd work.

You might find less expensive coatings that will give you the same results.

You might want to decide if your problem is sound transmission or self-resonance. Cutting resonance in a car cuts sound a lot becuase cars make a lot of self-noise and the body pan and roof bring out harmonics. Dynamat and its cousins can make cars quieter just by getting rid of the resonances and not doing a darn thing about the primary transmission of sounds from sources external to the car. Your garage door except for when it is opening and closing is not making much if any of that self-noise. It'll resonate but not nearly as much as it will transmit. To cut sound transmission you kinda need *mass* which is why highway noise shields are concrete walls and/or earthen berms.

How do you plan to measure the sound?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

Name : Scott
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Basic sound deadening for the Riviera   Basic sound deadening for the Riviera - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:25 am

I'm not worried about the sound so much. They might make an occasional rattle with a good ole Vegas wind gust, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'd like to add something other than the large pieces of over priced styrofoam that Home Depot sells for insulating the garage doors.

It's just a thought, but will most likely never come to fruition. wink

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
http://www.german-pride.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Basic sound deadening for the Riviera   Basic sound deadening for the Riviera - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:41 am

VegasScott wrote:
I'm not worried about the sound so much. They might make an occasional rattle with a good ole Vegas wind gust, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'd like to add something other than the large pieces of over priced styrofoam that Home Depot sells for insulating the garage doors.

It's just a thought, but will most likely never come to fruition. wink

VegasScott

Consider pegboard that you can paint (both sides) with gloss or semigloss interior enamel, under which you can place thin glass batts (if you can get the thin ones cheap enough) and also put a resonance damper such as squares of Dynamat on teh door panels themselves.

As for the Home Depot solution - The act of cementing/doubleface taping the styrofoam onto the metal doors would do a lot to damp resonaces as long as the glue connects 30-35% of the door surface to the foam insulation. They are counting on you not wanting to be a carpenter to fit your own insulation.

You know, if you already had a carpenter on site to install or replace trim or alter a cabinet it shouldn't cost that much to have them fab up some panels for you, thinking about it.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic sound deadening for the Riviera   Basic sound deadening for the Riviera - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Basic sound deadening for the Riviera
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3