Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Roof Gutters

Go down 
+3
BMD
99Rivman
Eldo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:31 am

Just FYI, I don't know about the roof 'gutters' , but the rubber (plastic, actually) inlays between the trunk and the rear quarter windows are only for show... They just lie in that gutter and hook over studs in the upper corners of the trunk opening. If anyone has any leak issues (as I did on one side), they are in the gutter itself... Earlier this year, they were still available from GM.

I imagine the roof gutters are the same stuff, and we should all buy a spare pair...
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 am

Eldo wrote:
Just FYI, I don't know about the roof 'gutters' , but the rubber (plastic, actually) inlays between the trunk and the rear quarter windows are only for show... They just lie in that gutter and hook over studs in the upper corners of the trunk opening. If anyone has any leak issues (as I did on one side), they are in the gutter itself... Earlier this year, they were still available from GM.

I imagine the roof gutters are the same stuff, and we should all buy a spare pair...
The roof gutter pieces are just a rubber tube that is pushed into place; it has no sealing effect at all and isn't even put in with any kind of adhesive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 9:15 am

99Rivman wrote:
Eldo wrote:

The roof gutter pieces are just a rubber tube that is pushed into place; it has no sealing effect at all and isn't even put in with any kind of adhesive.

Thanks Randall, I am going to need a re-paint of the roof soon and this info is very usefull!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:04 pm

BMD wrote:
I am also curious about what you did with the rubber on each side of the roof. Can you take some pics of that area?
BMD, I just noticed you requested pictures of the roof rail seal, I didn’t include those with my paint write-ups so will add them here.

It is just a rubber tube P/N … 95 R/L 25603084
…………………...…………96-99 R/L 25645932

Just pushed into place between the roof and roof rail panels:

Roof Gutters Paint_10

Roof Gutters Paint_11

Roof Gutters Paint_12

Roof Gutters Paint_13

I’m not sure why the part numbers are different or if they are still available or not, just getting it out there, for a starting point at least.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:02 pm

are these rubber seals just for cosmetics? it seems that the roof at that point is just pleated for looks?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:07 pm

99Rivman wrote:
BMD wrote:
I am also curious about what you did with the rubber on each side of the roof. Can you take some pics of that area?
BMD, I just noticed you requested pictures of the roof rail seal, I didn’t include those with my paint write-ups so will add them here.

Just pushed into place between the roof and roof rail panels:

Thanks very much Randall, I was afraid to pull those out but now that I see how they are installed I am definately going to tackle the fading paint in the gutter. Very usefull pics!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:13 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
are these rubber seals just for cosmetics? it seems that the roof at that point is just pleated for looks?
Yes, just cosmetics. thumbsup
The roof is actually glued/bonded to the side rails, no bolts/welds, just glued!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:14 pm

BMD wrote:
Thanks very much Randall, I was afraid to pull those out but now that I see how they are installed I am definately going to tackle the fading paint in the gutter. Very usefull pics!
Just pull them out, you might be able to soften them up with some kind of solvent and reuse them too.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 6:57 pm

awesome info. i would have guessed welds. im definetely pulling them when my paint day rolls around in her own good time. soon i hope...beautiful work snowdog.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Interesting move of topics Aaron, the first statement in the "Roof Gutters" topic says ...
"Just FYI, I don't know about the roof 'gutters'".
Just an observation?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 pm

It reads, "I don't know about the roof 'gutters' , but the rubber (plastic, actually) inlays between the trunk and the rear quarter windows are only for show..."

To which you respond, "The roof gutter pieces are just a rubber tube that is pushed into place; it has no sealing effect at all and isn't even put in with any kind of adhesive."

I don't fully understand your point. Is this topic not about roof gutters? Why is the split interesting? Do you feel this topic should have remained in Snowdog's showroom thread?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 am

This is very timely info as I'm working on my roof paint tonight. Does the tube just pull out?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 pm

The photo above shows it just being pulled out with what looks like little effort.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes it just pulls out, you are correct Rickw, it takes little effort. Of course it depends on how dried out the rubber has become over the years also. If they are very hard and brittle, as rubber can get, they might be a little more difficult to remove and reinstall. I did buy a couple a couple of years ago, I think they were around $3.50 each and the new ones were very pliable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roof Gutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Gutters   Roof Gutters Empty

Back to top Go down

Roof Gutters
Page 1 of 1