Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?

Go down 
+10
TheAviator
Ryan from Ohio
Hometown Hero
robotennis61
nigelf
AA
IBx1
96RIVMANN
mdhall1
EatDirtFartDust
14 posters
AuthorMessage
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? Empty
PostSubject: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 12:03 am

Do you have a picture and what brand of mounting bracket do you have?

Thanks
-Josh
Back to top Go down
mdhall1
mdhall1

Name : Matt
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 12:35 am

I used a kit for GM vehicles that i got from wal mart. it doesn't list our car on the back but it works. you just have to use the mounting bracket from your stock radio. Takes a little work but it looks real good. I don't have a picture of it.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 12:09 pm

DASH INSTALL KIT SCOSCHE GM 92 & UP GM1583B
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 2:03 pm

96RIVMANN wrote:
DASH INSTALL KIT SCOSCHE GM 92 & UP GM1583B
That;s what I needed. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Custom Stereo in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:29 am

Hey guys, after a while of thinking and looking at cars I haven't even told you guys I was looking at, I've decided to keep the Riv. The $10,000 or so I will make in the next two summers with my REU(Research Experience for Undergraduates) programs will be saved instead and used every now and then to fix whatever little things go on the car.

Since this is the case, I just remembered I have a CD player that doesn't work. Not only does it not work, but if I leave the radio fuse in the CD player creates a short circuit that drains the battery in a couple of weeks. I will need to remove it and replace it with something, but then I figured that while the dashboard is apart I may as well replace the whole radio so that when I put the volume past half, the sound doesn't get distorted from the stock head unit.

Has anyone replaced the head unit in their '95? What do you do to cover up the hole left by removing the CD player? What size unit will fit in this, as it seems to be bigger than the standard size ones, yet smaller than the double-size radio faceplates.

Here's my radio just for you guys to see what I mean:

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? 100_5830

Any advice would be perfect, but I'm more concerned on what to buy and how to fill in empty space. I will most likely not do the installation myself, probably going to use GeekSquad or something over at BestBuy.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 am

Are you planning to install a stereo system, or just the head unit & CD player?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4 Online
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:42 am

Just the head unit. I'll be keeping my speakers and radio antenna where they are, as they are. Just gonna swap out a head unit I guess.

Is this a single DIN? Double DIN? 1-1/2 DIN? I need everything explained from square one, haha!
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 am

Llam... fit it yourself!

Its a 1.5 din so a 1 din will normally be preferable.

You only live down the road a few miles pop up and we can look at what is screwing with your cd player... Im electronics by trade so fixing a cd player shuold not be too much of a problem.

Im fitting a touch screen where the CD player normally sits then a computer so i can do all the IT stuff in the car but will use it for GPS phone and music mainly.

Nigel
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 pm

Can't do it myself, no way.

So I'll have a hole under the radio if I put it on top, and a hole where the CD player used to be? It seems like a neat idea to put the head unit in the 1DIN space the CD player takes up, all the way at the bottom of the console, but it's best to have the controls and info up closer to eye level. How do I fill in the space left by the CD player and half the radio?

The name's ilan, but the font makes an upper-case i look like a lower-case L.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:04 pm

there are .5,1, 1.5 and 2 Din blanking plates.

Replace the radio section while fitting a half blanking plate either above or below the new 1 Din unit and fit a 1 din blanking plate down below. The lower blank can be used to fit new switches or vac/boost guages etc...

Or get the radio/cd fixed and keep car stock!

Nigel
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:05 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Can't do it myself, no way.

So I'll have a hole under the radio if I put it on top, and a hole where the CD player used to be? It seems like a neat idea to put the head unit in the 1DIN space the CD player takes up, all the way at the bottom of the console, but it's best to have the controls and info up closer to eye level. How do I fill in the space left by the CD player and half the radio?

The name's ilan, but the font makes an upper-case i look like a lower-case L.

I've thought about this as well. And possible a stand-alone navigation unit with a black trimming/frame might work.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I would get it fixed, but anywhere past 1/2 volume and the bass gets distorted in my music. The speakers I put in can handle it, but the stock head unit dulls it down because it doesn't know that I'm not using the stock speakers anymore.

I might do a boost gauge in the CD player's place...although it would be tricky to get that in there while someone else is installing the head unit...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 2:00 am

old thread but i too am looking to replace my head unit for a unit in the $150 to $200 range. what kind of kit did you end up getting liam, and what parts did you use to cover the hole left by the stock stereo?
and what is a din?
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 12:52 pm

For $200 USD you should be able to get a pretty decent head unit. I know electronics in the states are substantially cheaper that north of the border where I am. Kenwood, Pioneer/Premier, Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion, all make a pretty good cd player. If I am not mistaken THD is the lowest on the Alpine, and Kenwood decks @.008 THD, however Pioneer/Premier is easily the best when it comes to fancy displays and never skipping on a cd.
If you plan on running any speakers off your deck THD and output lvl is important. Simply because decks typically don't deliver the proper output necessary to run aftermarket speakers properly, causing them not to move properly and premature failure in the end.

Amplification is key to a nice system. If you need to stick to a budget I would suggest one 400-600w RMS 4 channel amp, your rears can be run off 2 channels, while bridging the other 2 channels to your woofer if you plan on 1 running the fronts off your head unit you can make due, if not running a woofer run a channel to each speaker. Either mode you would be running a safe, and stable 4 OHM load you would have great sound quality and system life.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 pm

The name is ilan, like I said a couple of posts above. ill-on. The stupid font here makes a capital i look like a lower case L.

I am considering a Kenwood KDC-MP242(50W RMSx4) because of the price and features, and am also considering buying and hooking up a bluetooth module for that if I can find one cheap. I'll be doing the PAC SWI to keep the steering wheel controls, and I will also be buying a GM wiring harness and antenna connector.

My grand total on amazon is $144 for those, after shipping. Haven't bought them yet because I don't have the money yet.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:36 pm

We have a 95 and I put a radio in it, without issue.

If you head out the the junk yards you can get either a tape holder or cd holder to place in the spot down low. Clips right in, no issues.

For a fit kit dont buy that Schoshe wal mart junk. Buy a GOOD Metra or American international kit. The plastic is substantially thicker and the fit is always better.

If you guys are looking for something specific PM me the brand and model of what your looking for. I do carry head units as well as all car audio stuff.
Back to top Go down
TheAviator
TheAviator

Name : Jason

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 12:26 am

Ryan from Ohio wrote:

If you guys are looking for something specific PM me the brand and model of what your looking for. I do carry head units as well as all car audio stuff.

Alright, I have the 95 riv and would like to find a 1.5 din head unit to replace the stock one on top. Does anyone make one that fits this slot that is touch screen radio and Gps, and mabye with Bluetooth also. How would any of this be compatible with the steering wheel controls. I admit I have zero knowledge about car electronics, is any of what I propose even doable????? thanks I can then replace the bottom slot wiht a cd holder correct???
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 12:05 pm

The whole 1.5 DIN stuff is pretty much non-existent anymore.

1.5 DINS are pretty much just heads.

If you want GPS, touch screen and so forth you need a Dbl DIN.

These units are not cheap either.

RoadView Mobile makes a "Factory Fit" dbl DIN GM Unit. They also have a Dbl DIN Universal unit, which would probably work.

Either units boasts everything you listed and then some.

The Universal runs $550, the Factory Fit runs $650.

I have Pioneer, JVC and Kenwood Dbl DINs available as well, but they are more costly. Likewise I have some cheaper units available that I dont recommend.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 12:16 pm

To partially answer your question about retaining steering wheel controls, there is an interface device you can buy that allows the use of all your buttons.
If you read through some of the write ups on installing double din radios, for instance, you'll find the name and model of what works in our vehicles.
Many people on here have installed them with a replacement head unit.
Someone that has done it already can chime in.
From what i remember the unit is made by PAC.
I think that is an abbreviation for Pacific Audio controls, but I would look it up first.
Here it is:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Other-Stuff-c3/Audio-Electronics-f7/Write-Up-PAC-steering-wheel-control-interface-t218.htm
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 pm

I know this is a '95, and thus different than my '98. Somebody told me the '98 was a 1.5 DIN, but I put a double DIN unit in there without a ton of modification. If you can fit a double din take a look here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/help-me-pick-a-new-head-unit-and-speakers-please-t3812.htm

The head unit doesn't have DVD/screen or NAV, but it was only $250, I still love the features and the overall system.
Back to top Go down
TheAviator
TheAviator

Name : Jason

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Okk can someone answer the question, are all rivs 1.5 din or are the 96 and above 2 din. I have my dash off and im thinking I could relocate the ac control panel down to where the CD used to be and make a custom install of a double din nav system up above, what do the experts think????Wiring nightmare????
Back to top Go down
duckstu

Name : Stuart
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:15 pm

I removed a Panasonic radio from my '97. I'll sell it to you cheap. It has aux inputs and such.

It comes in a dash kit,...the Buick adapter so you don't need to cut into the factory harness,..and an antenna wire adapter. (The adapters make it a simple plug in deal. Once the dash is off,..changing the radio will be a 2 minute affair).

Also has a remote and a detachable faceplate case.

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? Panaft

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? Panarear

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? Panainstalled
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:40 pm

That sure looks like the same opening I have, if you can use the full opening without the storage underneath.
Back to top Go down
95ParkAveUltra

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm

so i just put 5% all the way around. time now to put the sound system in. is this the install kit i need to put 1 din in? http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Install-Buick-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL0DHE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271628755&sr=1-10

here is the radio im getting. http://www.buy.com/prod/audiovox-vm9412-car-video-player-7-dvd-r-rw-dvd-r-cd-r-rw-secure/q/loc/111/204212112.html

on a side note: are there already stock amplifiers going to my speakers that i need to watch out for or straight radio to speakers?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Don't have a clue what 5% all the way around means./
And don't know if a PA has the external amplifier's that you are referring to.
But if it did I'm sure you would know, otherwise wire it up the way you would normally wire up an aftermarket head unit with amp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?   Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95? Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom/Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit in a '95?
Page 1 of 1