Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Disposing of car fluids

Go down 
+5
Rickw
T Riley
AA
jonly
Jack the R
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Disposing of car fluids Empty
PostSubject: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 1:46 pm

Quote :
How to Properly Dispose of Used Oil, Transmission Fluid, Anti-Freeze, etc.
How To Properly Dispose Of Nasty Stuff

We get lots of questions from members each month and most are specific to certain makes of cars. One set of questions that keep coming up is a more general one, however. Everybody seems to have the same problem: how to get rid of nasty stuff like waste, oil, antifreeze and, above all, oily rags. While we can't give the "perfect" answer, here are some great methods.

Link
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 1:50 pm

I just saw on the Wal Mart commercial that they have free oil recycling. It's in fine print on the bottom of the commercial showing couples changing their own oil. Time to get this collection of milk jugs out of my garage...
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Do they take trannsmission fluid?

I was surprised to learn antifreeze is biodegradeble. I can't find anyone who will take it, so I guess everyone out here is dumping it on the ground. I will at least dig a hole for it. It'll have to go through a few hundred feet of Kentucky clay before anything but a mole can get to it. That should make a decent filter.
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Id hate to say it, but i'm not sure the mechs at my local wal mart know the difference between oil and xmission fluid....
ymmv.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Somehow, a small amount of used transmission fluid makes its way into each container of used motor oil I take to Autozone for reclaiming.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 pm

AA wrote:
Somehow, a small amount of used transmission fluid makes its way into each container of used motor oil I take to Autozone for reclaiming.

It's funny how that works out.. twisted
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 4:27 pm

You can legally mix engine oil and transmission fluid in containers for oil recycling. You don't have to disguise it. Just put the trans fluid in any container and drop wherever you bring your oil.
The Wal-Mart near me has a separate container for used anti-freeze and they accept that as well.
From what I understand, any store or vendor that sells over a certain quantity of oil must have receptacles for accepting used oil by law.
All my local auto parts stores have them also.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 4:37 pm

AA wrote:

Never bothers me in the least to add tranny fluid to my waste oil.
Much of it gets used as fuel in waste oil burning furnaces anyways.

http://www.recycleoil.org/

I have two 5 gallon plastic jugs I use. They are what we get Kodak plate developer in at the printing co. I work for, real heavy duty containers with a screw on cap.

You should see the looks I get from those dumping their one milk jug of mini van oil when I take the 10 gallons to the recycling center to dump about twice a year. shocked

Anti-freeze goes down the terlet.
Supposedly the waste water treatment plants can handle it.

sick
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 4:56 pm

last container i dumped off at autozone had some brake fluid, motor oil, tranny fluid, s/c oil and coolant in it. It all goes in their tank.

normally i try had to keep all the waste in the catch pan, but if i'm doing a coolant flush its easier to park it in the grass and dump it. (so long as no neighborhood cats are around)

On a side note, my grandmas house has a spot in the back where grass will not grow b/c my uncle has been doing car work there for 50+yrs. i dont recommend anyone do that these days.

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Rickw wrote:

The Wal-Mart near me has a separate container for used anti-freeze and they accept that as well.

I will check to see if our Wal-Mart does tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Any oil change place in Fargo will take your used oil.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:54 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Any oil change place in Fargo will take your used oil.

Same in NY. I work for NYC Transit in the Dept of Buses. Our Maintenance facility even takes used oil and anti freeze.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 pm

http://earth911.com/

Some of you may be able to find recycling centers with this site - the nearest place it could find for my antifreeze is 7 hours away. There is room for improvement but it may be useful for a few of you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of car fluids   Disposing of car fluids Empty

Back to top Go down

Disposing of car fluids
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: