The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Share
 

 Green fluid on the ground...Solved.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Hey guys, you don't remember but my car needs a new water pump. My dad noticed some fluid on the ground after it ran the last time, and it was green and about where the water pump is in relation to the ground. I have orange coolant in there right now, but since I didn't do a flush it could very well be remaining coolant.

Question is, would a faulty water pump leak coolant, or is there something else that could go wrong? Again, it's under where the water pump sits. It's being replaced after Thanksgiving and will be towed(AAA) up to the mechanic's house instead of driven.


Last edited by IBx1 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Sounds impossible that the green coolant could be yours if you switched the DexCool. Watch for more green coolant to see if it's a consistent leak.

Yes, a water pump can leak before it fails, but the coolant should match what's in your radiator.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Age : 55
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3059
Merit : 103

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 4:59 pm

I agree with Aaron. Water pumps usually leak long before the bearing goes out, and I've had two of 'em leak in two years. !$@#!

The color however is simply impossible unless you had a big puddle of green on the top of the engine or timing case. Anything that leaks would have to be the same color that you have in the radiator...

Is it not possible that another vehicle with green coolant was parked there prior to yours?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Nope, it's definitely my car, and remember I only added coolant, not drained, flushed, and filled. I don't know of anything else that's green that could leak out. My RainX wiper fluid is orange, I think, and so is the DexCool. Who knows, all I know is it was the water pump bearing making the bad S/C coupler noise I was always experiencing, not the S/C coupler. Although the S/C seal did bust and had to be replaced, but that's another story. The water pump will definitely be replaced.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

Name : Nate
Age : 36
Location : North Dakota
Joined : 2008-11-22
Post Count : 161
Merit : 9

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:45 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Nope, it's definitely my car, and remember I only added coolant, not drained, flushed, and filled. I don't know of anything else that's green that could leak out. My RainX wiper fluid is orange, I think, and so is the DexCool. Who knows, all I know is it was the water pump bearing making the bad S/C coupler noise I was always experiencing, not the S/C coupler. Although the S/C seal did bust and had to be replaced, but that's another story. The water pump will definitely be replaced.

Are we talking a bright green liquid or one with a slight green tint to it. Maybe take a picture of the spot if it happens again. The only other things in that area that could leak is the power steering pump or the AC compressor (has a few ounces of oil in it) but thats pretty much it since you've ruled out the washer reservoir.


Last edited by Ironclad-454 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell like a 5th grader)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Quote :
all I know is it was the water pump bearing making the bad S/C coupler noise I was always experiencing, not the S/C coupler. Although the S/C seal did bust and had to be replaced, but that's another story. The water pump will definitely be replaced.
How do you know for a fact that the water pump was making the noise? Are you sure the washer fluid isn't green? How long ago did you add the DexCool? What color is the coolant in you radiator now?

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7580
Merit : 154

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 7:38 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Hey guys, you don't remember but my car needs a new water pump. My dad noticed some fluid on the ground after it ran the last time, and it was green and about where the water pump is in relation to the ground. I have orange coolant in there right now, but since I didn't do a flush it could very well be remaining coolant.

Question is, would a faulty water pump leak coolant, or is there something else that could go wrong? Again, it's under where the water pump sits. It's being replaced after Thanksgiving and will be towed(AAA) up to the mechanic's house instead of driven.

The water pump is not tough to see but a little involved (but not tough) to work on due to the transverse mounting of the engine, It is easy to imagine that in a longitudinal mount, it and the other engine accessories are pretty easy to get to.

That said, you can verify the leaking of the water pump by looking at where it bolts onto the engine. You ought to be able to find coolant residue around the mounting flange.

As for the green puddle, if you are running straight dexcool I have *no* idea how you got a green puddle. Dex is orange and does not turn just because it got spilled on the pavement. . If the puddle was noticed ina parking lot or some such away from home, odds are it was someone else' problem.

Also, if your coolant is leaking, the coolant level will be low and may have depleted the reserve in the plastic reservoir. . While the car is cold, take off the radiator cap and see what's in. If you still have coolant up to the filler neck - look at the color of the coolant in the radiator. If not, and at the same time the overflow container is empty, odds are you have a leak.

Oh by the way about the ater pump - the water pump has a 'weep hole' to let the coolant that sneaks past the bearing out. If your water pump is leaking coolant thru the weep hole, failure is coming soon but not necessarily imminent.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 47
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7717
Merit : 109

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Take your radiator cap off (engine cool of course). Is it full? What color is it inside the radiator? Shine a light in there... any green tint at all?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Thing is, I'm at college and my car's at home. Dad told me about the fluid, so I'm unable to check all of these things, and my dad is very busy so he wouldn't be able to check all of those things either.

It is most likely what Albert said about the weep hole, as this water pump definitely seems like it's about to go.

I can tell this was making most of the sound because the same sound was still there after I had the snout rebuilt with a new coupler, seal, oil, and bearings. The pulley wobbles and the belt has about 1/8" lateral travel at idle across the pulley.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 am

Hmm.. Your water pump may in fact need replaced if you say you've measured the wobble at 1/8", but we cannot say it definately needs replaced based on a report of green fluid on the ground. In fact, if the fluid is green, it's definately NOT coming from your pump. But when you say you didn't actually see the fluid, we now have to verify what color it really is- it may not be green at all! Very difficult to trouble shoot car problems when you are not able to see your car.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 am

Believe me, I've been anxious to investigate it with my own eyes. I'm so lost without my car up here...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 am

At least you can rest assured it's not going to get any worse sitting at home. You could not say that if it were at school!

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 11:35 am

Yeah...it really sucks not having my car though.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado


Name : Matt
Joined : 2007-06-05
Post Count : 1125
Merit : 37

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 12:02 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Yeah...it really sucks not having my car though.

Join the club cry
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7580
Merit : 154

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:19 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Thing is, I'm at college and my car's at home. Dad told me about the fluid, so I'm unable to check all of these things, and my dad is very busy so he wouldn't be able to check all of those things either.

It is most likely what Albert said about the weep hole, as this water pump definitely seems like it's about to go.

I can tell this was making most of the sound because the same sound was still there after I had the snout rebuilt with a new coupler, seal, oil, and bearings. The pulley wobbles and the belt has about 1/8" lateral travel at idle across the pulley.

Usually - let's say 85% of the time - the failing water pump will signal it's imminent death by making a sound kind of like marbles rattling in a shaken tin can when the car is running. It's likely be pretty faint at first and may be hearable only with hood open. As the failure gets worse, the pump will get noisier and start to leak coolant from the weephole. What's happening is the impeller is coming loose from the shaft. Hint - the sound never gets any better. When it starts, g'wan and replace the water pump even if it's still othersiwe seeming to work.

By the way, while you are in there make sure it's not something silly like the pulley got oily and came loose at its mounting bolts. It's only held on by some little bitty bolts that go thru the pulley face. They usually stay on good but can't hurt to check. And when you do replace them a bit of Loctite Blue on the threads will definitely keep them from being a cause of concern wile not making it one iota more difficult to service later.

So if you gotta get one if you go new/aftermarket try to get a Gates. If you go reman try to get a Cardone. There are 2 ACDelco WPs. The cheap one looks like the Gates for $15 more money; the expensive one looks like a new one from assembly line. The reman cardones are usually OEs with some improvements. What you probaby want is the WP with the cast impeller that has vanes molded in rather than the ones with the stamped impeller that looks kinda like a part out of a bubble machine.

Oh yeah one other watch-out. If you get a reman pump, check the pump to see if it has "metal gasket only" or some such cast into it. If so, be sure it either comes with the metal gasket, or get the metal gasket from NAPA or some such if it came with the regular gasket.

Albertj


Last edited by albertj on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm looking at the Advance Auto website and they have an ASC water pump for $35, FelPro gasket for $5. The AC Delco water pumps go for closer to $150 which is kind of ridiculous, otherwise I'd go OEM.

So aside from the pump(15 years old, most likely due for a replacement soon anyway) and gasket, is there anything else I'd need to buy for the mechanic to do the job, partswise?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 47
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7717
Merit : 109

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Just FYI, monsterpartsonline shows the OEM pump for $83, not $150. RockAuto shows a Gates for $27. I'd take the Gates in this case. Never heard of ASC.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:21 pm

I think I'm gonna get a new(not remanufactured) Cardone instead, it's a dollar more but the Gates says it might not include the pulley, where the Cardone even has a gasket.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Add 100,000 to Ilan's mileage and that's what my OEM water pump has on it. I've had a spare water pump sitting in the closet for years, haven't needed to use it yet.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Don't forget to add 3 years and subtract one "I" from the "Series II."
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Age : 55
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3059
Merit : 103

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 pm

albertj wrote:


So if you go new/aftermarket try to get a Gates. If you go reman try to get a Cardone. There are 2 ACDelco WPs. The cheap one looks like the Gates for $15 more money; the expensive one looks like a new one from assembly line.
Albertj

agree

Turns out the first new WP I got was the "cheap" Delco from China. If you go Delco, make sure you get the "good" pump from............. South America! headshot
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm

If they are the same P/N how can you order a "GOOD" one.?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 pm

By buying Cardone!
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

Name : Nate
Age : 36
Location : North Dakota
Joined : 2008-11-22
Post Count : 161
Merit : 9

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 pm

Don't sweat it too much until you can get home to trouble shoot it. A guy can spend a small fortune trying to fix the wrong problem. IMHO. Without knowing if the "fluid" was Coolant or something all together different its hard to say what needs to be fixed. Just my @0.02
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Age : 28
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Well, the water pump needed replacing for a while anyway, and then this leak thing happened.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green fluid on the ground...Solved.   Green fluid on the ground...Solved. Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Green fluid on the ground...Solved.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Yamaha Grizzly Handguards+Mount ~ Green ~ Slighty Used
» NEW Ground news.
» Green Monster Biuld
» Medium Fluid solo for sale
» gold ground

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: