Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

My '97 when I clean it...

Go down 
+14
albertj
robotennis61
GMFreak8
flyineagle96
Mr.Riviera
DEMonte1997
T Riley
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
stan
BMD
1wickedninja
IBx1
Eldo
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Eldo wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
Very clean indeed!
is that a caddy horn on the fuse box?

Ding-ding-ding-ding, we have a winner! clap

When I got this car, before my Eldo went to heaven, I was not pleased with the "un-American" sound of the horns...
Turns out that the OE horns are F and high-A, so I pulled the low-D out of the Cad and mounted it to a fender bolt
in the Rivi. Now I have a "properly deep" D-minor chord. .ride crazy

(BTW, if anyone's interested, I think ArmorAll sucks. That stuff I used on the engine cover and the intake plumbing
is Stoner Trim Shine, the same thing I use on the gray/black rocker panels and air dams... It lasts a long time, gets
more 'satin' after a while, and sprays on evenly with no wiping required usually - I highly recommend it.)

You mind doing a writeup or going into detail more on how you did the horn swap? I agree with you, the horn in the Riviera sounds like something you'd expect out of a toyota camry not an American car. I wanted to take the horn out of my old Park Ave from the 80s and put it in but never got around to it. I'd love to learn how you did the horn swap more. smile
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

wow! that bay is cherry!
how u manage to slow the car without a break pedal and find time to spiff her up is beyond me? headshot
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Eldo wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
Very clean indeed!
is that a caddy horn on the fuse box?

Ding-ding-ding-ding, we have a winner! clap

When I got this car, before my Eldo went to heaven, I was not pleased with the "un-American" sound of the horns...
Turns out that the OE horns are F and high-A, so I pulled the low-D out of the Cad and mounted it to a fender bolt
in the Rivi. Now I have a "properly deep" D-minor chord. .ride crazy

(BTW, if anyone's interested, I think ArmorAll sucks. That stuff I used on the engine cover and the intake plumbing
is Stoner Trim Shine, the same thing I use on the gray/black rocker panels and air dams... It lasts a long time, gets
more 'satin' after a while, and sprays on evenly with no wiping required usually - I highly recommend it.)

I added a low-C and a D. Turns out the OE horn circuit is more than adequate for 4 horns and it's not *that* hard to fit 2 horns onto each OE bracket. It's just loud (and dissonant) enough to be heard in city traffic and distinguished around booming car audio.

Albertj

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

So if you hear a D-Minor in your driveway, you know it's me... If it's a D-Minor-7th, it's Albert. boohoo

Kyle, there was really nothing more to the job then what I said... I just looked
around the engine bay until I found a spot that had room for the horn and also had
an existing bolt large enough to hold the horn bracket. I might have had to bend the
bracket a little, but that's it... If you go to a wrecking yard, look under the hoods of
some Cadillacs - the note of the horn is stamped into it (D).

robotennis61 wrote:
wow! that bay is cherry!
how u manage to slow the car without a break pedal and find time to spiff her up is beyond me? headshot

You answered your own question. You have a lot more time to
work on the car if you don't waste it by using the brakes all the time... pirate
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Eldo wrote:
So if you hear a D-Minor in your driveway, you know it's me... If it's a D-Minor-7th, it's Albert. boohoo

Kyle, there was really nothing more to the job then what I said... I just looked
around the engine bay until I found a spot that had room for the horn and also had
an existing bolt large enough to hold the horn bracket. I might have had to bend the
bracket a little, but that's it... If you go to a wrecking yard, look under the hoods of
some Cadillacs - the note of the horn is stamped into it (D).

robotennis61 wrote:
wow! that bay is cherry!

You answered your own question. You have a lot more time to
work on the car if you don't waste it by using the brakes all the time... pirate

Where do I find the horn wiring to tap into though? Doesn't it sound funky to have two different horns? It'd be awesome to have the dixie horn off of the dukes play a few seconds after the stock horns. lol
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Sorry Kyle, I just found out that I never replied to your last questions:

A> The horns are in the front fenders, ahead of the wheelwells, so rather than try to find the wires within the looms, I just undid the clips in the front half of the right well and Scotch-Lok'd onto the existing wire.

B> No... Actually, as I said, you already have 2 different horns, the musical notes F and A. Adding low-D completes a D-minor chord, which is a 'natural' sound.

C> Uhhhh, NO... headshot
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Eldo wrote:
Sorry Kyle, I just found out that I never replied to your last questions:

A> The horns are in the front fenders, ahead of the wheelwells, so rather than try to find the wires within the looms, I just undid the clips in the front half of the right well and Scotch-Lok'd onto the existing wire.

B> No... Actually, as I said, you already have 2 different horns, the musical notes F and A. Adding low-D completes a D-minor chord, which is a 'natural' sound.

C> Uhhhh, NO... headshot

Thanks for the reply. I gotta do something. The horn on the Riv is downright pathetic. You can't even use it to get mad at someone, all you do is make them laugh and yourself turn bright red.

I thought you'd like the Dixie horn thing. wink

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but where abouts did you get the horns?
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:48 pm

My stock horn sounds fine to me. Pretty decent and people get the point when I lay on it.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:07 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Looks great. Definitely take some pictures with GG scenery in the background.

Well, here are my last Riviera-of-the-Month / 2011 Calendar pictures, probably my final California photos, period... I got the Bridge, the water, even Sutro Tower in
the background - and I couldn't even reach the upper half of the road because the bloody thing was closed for construction when I drove up there!
Not to mention the constant flow of tourists' cars... (and no, I didn't trailer it up there. wink )

As some of you know, I prefer "sleeper' mods", and I'd like to think that this car is not only electrically and mechanically
better than stock, but right now looks better than it did in the showroom (including the underhood shots on page 2...) cool

My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 4626018462_e07a0b0553_b

On a clear day, you can see General Motors...

My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 4625412869_8937314d73_b

Last edited by Eldo on Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:16 pm

ROTM. my vote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Lies.. i meant COVER of the 2011 calendar.. no voting needed.. i chose it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:26 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
Lies.. i meant COVER of the 2011 calendar.. no voting needed.. i chose it.

most definitely in the calendar running!

are those new corner lenses?

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Wow, THANKS Travis... I hadn't even finished my post in the ROTM thread yet!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:

most definitely in the calendar running!

are those new corner lenses?

Yes, a year or so ago... You can see them in the first photo on this thread.
That's why I'm so finicky about cornering lenses! tongue
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Looks like mine, but your interior may be a darker shade of grey.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:34 pm

Jack: Nope, the dash-top is gray, and therefore my Dash-Mat, but the interior is the ubiquitous "Medium Neutral"... (Beige)
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 8:37 am

You got a beautiful car, sunny California and the surf, does anyone else hear the Beach Boys? Sweeeet Mark, your car looks really sharp and exterior colour looks almost silver in these shots. It certainly looks like you take your time detailing your ride when you clean it (like me). happy
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:46 am

It looks fantastic!
Do you have new headlight and cornering lamp lenses on that car?
I've never seen any so clear. Headlights look like glass.
(If they are glass I'd like to know where to get some.)
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:23 am

BMD wrote:
You got a beautiful car, sunny California and the surf, does anyone else hear the Beach Boys? ...It certainly looks like you take your time detailing your ride when you clean it (like me). happy

Would you believe that I bought it from a little old lady in Pasadena? (She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard...) lol

Thanks, and yes, I spent 2 days scrubbing, detailing and 'waxing'... Actually, I use Rejex aircraft sealer after the paint and chrome are clean. It is one of the reasons I can go so long between washes: it makes it harder for dirt to stick, and easier to wash off. Then, Eagle One All Tire & Wheel cleaner to suck the brown dirt out of the tires, and Trim Shine on the rocker panels, air dams and the tires (after a few days driving, the tires get a more satin finish than in the photos.)

Sweepspear wrote:
It looks fantastic!
Do you have new headlight and cornering lamp lenses on that car?
I've never seen any so clear. Headlights look like glass.
(If they are glass I'd like to know where to get some.)

Thank you, too. The cornering lenses were replaced about a year ago (left) because the best I could get after working on them with Plastix was the one on the right...

My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 3549625158_aae046efec

However, the headlights were evidently made out of a different plastic than so many of the mistakes that the industry made (including our own cornering lights, right next to them... The jackasses!) I replaced the driver's side, but the passenger side looks just as good, as you can tell on Page 1. Plus, it still has the black tube inside surrounding the end of the bulb, which the replacement lens lacks...

Last edited by Eldo on Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:26 am

ye gads!@ dats 1 clean ride! i bet it would look even better with a sqrivi set up
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Eldo wrote:

Thank you, too. The cornering lenses were replaced about a year ago, and this was after working on them with Plastix....

Ah! I see it's a Meguiar's product.
I'm going to have to try it.

For many years I have used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze plastic cleaner and polish.
(The white & Blue bottles)
While it works well, I have never seen results like that! sunny
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Sweepspear wrote:
Eldo wrote:

Thank you, too. The cornering lenses were replaced about a year ago, and this was after working on them with Plastix....

Ah! I see it's a Meguiar's product.
I'm going to have to try it.

For many years I have used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze plastic cleaner and polish.
(The white & Blue bottles)
While it works well, I have never seen results like that! sunny

Whoops, I have to clarify that Dale!
I'll go back in and rephrase it, but I was saying that I put in new lenses because that lens on the right side of the photo was as good as I could get with the Plastix... The one on the left is the brand new lens.

Last edited by Eldo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 11:51 pm

I want to get new ones also rather than trying to get all the yellow out. Mine are really yellowed and just need replacing.
What were they, about $100.00 for the pair.
I want to get a pair, so when I have the car detailed and buffed out I can replace those and have it looking real clean.
The body shop I go to is top shelf and pricey, but he owes me some work, so I'm going to have this years door dings taken care of and some touch up here and there. It's due.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 11:40 am

Yeah, I read that wrong. study

That's what I get for gleaming a post quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My '97 when I clean it...   My '97 when I clean it... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My '97 when I clean it...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2