Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

noise when going over bump

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon
Merit : 0

noise when going over bump Empty
PostSubject: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:17 am

this has been happening for a little bit now and am wonder what it was..

when ever i go over like a speed bump, it makes this weird noise that i can not explain but i think it is my shocks going bad?. but im not sure
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:39 am

Have you ever replaced your stabilizer bar links or bushings? The plastic ones get noisy after the grease wears off.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:13 pm

AA wrote:
Have you ever replaced your stabilizer bar links or bushings? The plastic ones get noisy after the grease wears off.

no i will have to take it to the shop and have them look at it cause i dont know what those look like

thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 6:59 pm

They are the only bushings (teeny rubber donuts) connected to little metal rods that extend vertically from control arms on each side of the car (front and rear) to the anti-sway bar ends. The anti-sway bar is visible under the entire width of the chassis, running through other bushings that are under a pair of metal straps bolted to it.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:56 pm

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 11:04 pm

when was the last time you replaced shocks/struts/springs/tires or inspected the wheel housing liners, brakes, or exhaust heat shields on your car?

Reason I ask is there's lots of places noises can originate and your post does not give all that much to help you guess where to start troubleshooting.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 12:55 am

albertj wrote:
when was the last time you replaced shocks/struts/springs/tires or inspected the wheel housing liners, brakes, or exhaust heat shields on your car?

Reason I ask is there's lots of places noises can originate and your post does not give all that much to help you guess where to start troubleshooting.

Albertj

i have no idea but i know its been a while though.

and there is also this sound when i am going in reverse, not fast, just coasting down the driveway and it sounds like its coming from the part of the suspension in the rear and is making the front when i was going over bumps...it may be the same thing, but i will get that inspected cause i really just want to fix her up to were i can sell it frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 8:16 am

Stabilizer links are very... cheesy from the factory. I had broken front and rear end links when I replaced my sway bars.

Rather than replace them with more cheesy stock end links, I got the shortest Energy Suspension links I could get, then cut the middle spacers down until the length of the assembly matched the length of the OEM end links. I then went to the hardware store and grabbed some shorter (appropriate length) bolts. They use poly bushings and a hefty 3/8 bolt in the middle, as opposed to the plastic spacer/skinny bolt of the OE unit. Sorry I don't have specs, I just kinda winged it when I made these, but they are a huge improvement over stock.

Just laying it out there as an option, but it would take a little work to put it together.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 5:22 pm

brmcm15 wrote:
albertj wrote:

Albertj

i have no idea but i know its been a while though.

and there is also this sound when i am going in reverse, not fast, just coasting down the driveway and it sounds like its coming from the part of the suspension in the rear and is making the front when i was going over bumps...it may be the same thing, but i will get that inspected cause i really just want to fix her up to were i can sell it frown

IT could be as simple as the spare tire and jack have become loose in the trunk.

You might/should take a half-day to poke around and find stuff that makes annoying noises. Asking on the forum is not likely to "get you there" - it's not like the Riv has a typical noise, a kind of "they all groan on speed bumps" or whatever.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 5:50 pm

ok guys thanks for the help.

i think the first problem is with the sway bar and the other one is with my brakes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noise when going over bump   noise when going over bump Empty

Back to top Go down

noise when going over bump
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Brakes & Suspension-
Jump to: