HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 i am new 2 the sight! wassup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IBx1
Expert
avatar

Name : ILAN
Age : 26
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Running 87 in our engines is probably the best way to destroy them. You gotta stick with premium if you want the supercharged engine, or else you will chip pistons, melt valves, and crack blocks.
Back to top Go down
MrCokeHead
Rookie
avatar

Name : Tyrone
Location : Providence, RI
Joined : 2010-01-14
Post Count : 11
Merit : -29

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:22 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Running 87 in our engines is probably the best way to destroy them. You gotta stick with premium if you want the supercharged engine, or else you will chip pistons, melt valves, and crack blocks.

wat r u tlaking about iian? gas is gas 87 work good 4 me my car still runs all da time.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
avatar

Name : Aaron
Age : 40
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18310
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Tyrone: you probably aren't racing the car a lot. I imagine you are just cruising around. For that, you can get away with 87. But the guys are right that you should use 93 to make the engine run happy, especially if you want to get the 240 hp out of it. Lots of people don't really care about the power, and 87 works for them. The 3800 is a strong motor that can put up with lots of abuse!

For more on octane, check this out: http://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/what-grade-fuel-should-i-use-t24.htm

_________________
'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch


'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Ya what Aaron said +
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 pm

MrCokeHead wrote:
i dont get why every1 talks about octane lol. i jus run da cheapest shit i can get at da gas place.

The reason people make a big deal about it is because your supercharged motor makes a lot of heat. The octane is required to prevent detonation. Running cheap gas will chip pistons or blow a head gasket. Fill it up with super and see what the performance difference is like!

MrCokeHead wrote:
well I blew the mottor a year ago so i put a new one in and my frend told me that it wuld be a good idea to take out the air box and the filter. i run just normal gas in it.


MrCokeHead wrote:
IBx1 wrote:
Running 87 in our engines is probably the best way to destroy them. You gotta stick with premium if you want the supercharged engine, or else you will chip pistons, melt valves, and crack blocks.

wat r u tlaking about iian? gas is gas 87 work good 4 me my car still runs all da time.

clearly not since you had to replace the engine last year. want to do it again soon? Keep running the cheap gas!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado


Name : Matt
Joined : 2007-06-05
Post Count : 1125
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Plus if you're thinking about doing any sort of modifications you definitely want to start running the better gas first.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
clearly not since you had to replace the engine last year. want to do it again soon? Keep running the cheap gas!

Hey i was running "cheap gas" it was about $2.00 a gallon (e85) when i grenaded my motor.. shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:50 pm

I like the Coca Cola theme btw, and your cardomain page has some great pictures on it. The paint came out great!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado


Name : Matt
Joined : 2007-06-05
Post Count : 1125
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:53 pm

^^Agreed the quality looks very professional, I can assume you dont like pepsi? lol.
Back to top Go down
MrCokeHead
Rookie
avatar

Name : Tyrone
Location : Providence, RI
Joined : 2010-01-14
Post Count : 11
Merit : -29

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 pm

L67 wrote:
Plus if you're thinking about doing any sort of modifications you definitely want to start running the better gas first.

mah boy andre said supercharged cars go fast when u use a smaller pullie i looked around on here today and wanna get sum more power 4 mah whip LOL i c some peeps got a 3.4 or 1 with a 2.8 i think i should get a 3.1? sinc i dont have a air filter it prolly helps flo better? thx 4 comments about da paint.
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
avatar

Name : Mark
Age : 39
Location : Newberg, OR
Joined : 2009-03-17
Post Count : 323
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Okay I've been reading this thread and Tyrone, maybe it's a west coast vs east coast thing, but I can barely make out what you're saying. Am I the only one? suspect
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
avatar

Name : robotennis
Age : 55
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5559
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:07 pm

yo my man!i can understan im on the up high wit da supa fly..my eye on da sky a ring on my fingah a gingle in my pants a whistle in my walk a lilt in my talk an my brain on da name that is the game!
i understand him perfectly!
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Bert
Location : North Alabama
Joined : 2008-02-03
Post Count : 1701
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:09 pm

YO YO YO. I like the paint job! I nominate you for Riv of the month. clap

Youns bess be gittnuh air filter back on dat whip elsin youns's will soon bee swapping motors agin. pimp

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
avatar

Name : Matthew
Age : 31
Location : Florida
Joined : 2007-01-17
Post Count : 4338
Merit : 99

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:03 pm

MrCokeHead wrote:
L67 wrote:
Plus if you're thinking about doing any sort of modifications you definitely want to start running the better gas first.

mah boy andre said supercharged cars go fast when u use a smaller pullie i looked around on here today and wanna get sum more power 4 mah whip LOL i c some peeps got a 3.4 or 1 with a 2.8 i think i should get a 3.1? sinc i dont have a air filter it prolly helps flo better? thx 4 comments about da paint.

you have a lot of reading to do. you will need a lot of other parts to go as small as a 3.1. if you slap a 3.1 on your car now, running 87 gas you will maybe get 1 or 2 wide open runs in before a piston fragments on you. While your car/motor can put down some serious power. You need to listen to those of us who know these motor inside and out. first step for you would be to run 93 octane all the time. get an air filter back on the car too. (you will actually get more torque and hp with a proper intake and filter.

_________________
1996 with 244k miles, L324" FWI -> ported N* -> Ported Gen V w/3.0" Pulley, Stage 3 Phenolic I/C, ZZP FMHE, 1.84 RR, Headers and 3" pipe to mufflers, F-body brakes, and lowered on Eibachs.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Jason
Age : 33
Location : Comox, BC, Canada
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1378
Merit : 64

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 pm

MrCokeHead wrote:
mah boy andre said supercharged cars go fast when u use a smaller pullie i looked around on here today and wanna get sum more power 4 mah whip LOL i c some peeps got a 3.4 or 1 with a 2.8 i think i should get a 3.1? sinc i dont have a air filter it prolly helps flo better? thx 4 comments about da paint.

You're not texting or trying to impress gangster wannabes. You're on a discussion forum. You should try to write properly if you expect people to help you. No one will feel like deciphering your garbled sentences when you inevitably post in the tech section because you grenaded your engine.

Welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
robotennis61
Guru
avatar

Name : robotennis
Age : 55
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5559
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:34 pm

what jason is trying to say mr.cokehead,is, u poped a cap in yo engines ass!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Age : 59
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6081
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:59 pm

I say order a 2.8" pulley. You need all the extra power you can get if your running low octane fuel and an open intake.
What do you plan on doing with the stock exhaust.
That can't stay stock if you want to flow some air need to open that up some too.


Last edited by Rickw on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:49 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
avatar

Name : ILAN
Age : 26
Location : College Station, TX
Joined : 2007-12-30
Post Count : 4304
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:20 pm

To run as small a pulley as that, you need:

3" Downpipe or headers, rockers, cams, intake, more open exhaust, possible intercooler, colder spark plugs, better fuel injectors, and yes, 93 octane.

The Riv is fast enough as is, especially for stop & go driving. You don't have to drop pulley sizes, but you can do an intake or exhaust to give the car more...presence. Scares pedestrians when they hear the supercharger. But seriously, next to changing the oil and checking your tires, rule #1 is to always have an air filter on, rule #2 is to always run premium. For an extra $2 or $3 per tankful, it saves you $3,000 for a motor swap.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
avatar

Name : Nate
Age : 34
Location : North Dakota
Joined : 2008-11-22
Post Count : 161
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Welcome, that is definately a unique ride you have there I kinda like it. If your considering modifying the engine the first thing you need to do is have clear understanding of how the engine works as well as the pros and cons of each change you make. You then need to make the right choices in the right order otherwise your going to wind up looking to replace your engine again.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
avatar

Name : Codith
Age : 29
Location : Villa Park, IL
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 3598
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 am

Glad to have you, Tyrone! You definitely have one of a kind there and yeah, I'd definitely call up Coca~Cola and hit them up for some money or at least free coke product or something I mean c'mon.

If you want to modify your riv for some more power, I would definitely start with the premium gas mod. As far as I know, no one on this forum works for an oil company so please trust that we have no reason to advise that you pay more than necessary for gas. Premium is necessary if you ever put your foot down.

If you are interested in seriously modifying the motor, there are things you can do that will give you more power potential even with the sub-par gas but a smaller pulley is definitely not one of them and I wouldn't say that it's any less risky.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 am

IBx1 wrote:
To run as small a pulley as that, you need:

3" Downpipe or headers, rockers, cams, intake, more open exhaust, possible intercooler, colder spark plugs, better fuel injectors, and yes, 93 octane.

The Riv is fast enough as is, especially for stop & go driving. You don't have to drop pulley sizes, but you can do an intake or exhaust to give the car more...presence. Scares pedestrians when they hear the supercharger. But seriously, next to changing the oil and checking your tires, rule #1 is to always have an air filter on, rule #2 is to always run premium. For an extra $2 or $3 per tankful, it saves you $3,000 for a motor swap.

Yes you are going to want to get the mega hard core racing cam's.. we have a DOHC 4v engine so your gonna need 4 cams .. 2 exhaust and 2 intake cams.. good luck smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey Tyrone,
Clearly you are new to modding 3800s. You can't drop pulley sizes like that without some better engine hard parts improving airflow - you'll create too much heat in the supercharger and blow your motor. First things first you need to run premium fuel if you are even thinking about performance driving. Then there are a few things that can be done to make more power, but they need to be done in the right order. There are a lot of FAQ pages around the site explaining it all, but start with the basics - get some good gas in there and see how the performance changes! Don't start with a pulley drop, that comes AFTER improving the rest of your airflow.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Hey Tyrone,
Clearly you are new to modding 3800s. You can't drop pulley sizes like that without some better engine hard parts improving airflow - you'll create too much heat in the supercharger and blow your motor. First things first you need to run premium fuel if you are even thinking about performance driving. Then there are a few things that can be done to make more power, but they need to be done in the right order. There are a lot of FAQ pages around the site explaining it all, but start with the basics - get some good gas in there and see how the performance changes! Don't start with a pulley drop, that comes AFTER improving the rest of your airflow.

This is TRUE rock
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Age : 59
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6081
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
Hey Tyrone,
Clearly you are new to modding 3800s. You can't drop pulley sizes like that without some better engine hard parts improving airflow - you'll create too much heat in the supercharger and blow your motor. First things first you need to run premium fuel if you are even thinking about performance driving. Then there are a few things that can be done to make more power, but they need to be done in the right order. There are a lot of FAQ pages around the site explaining it all, but start with the basics - get some good gas in there and see how the performance changes! Don't start with a pulley drop, that comes AFTER improving the rest of your airflow.

This is TRUE rock
Travis,
Your contribution to the specifics of what to do next regarding safely modifying the engine are greatly appreciated and most beneficial and useful to all of us.
Your doing a great job as usual and all are grateful.
DD Bag, Rick
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
avatar

Name : Travis
Age : 27
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5125
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: i am new 2 the sight! wassup   Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:07 pm

L67 wrote:
^^Agreed the quality looks very professional, I can assume you dont like pepsi? lol.

He hasn't logged on for a bit... Been drinking a lot of coke i presume
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
 
i am new 2 the sight! wassup
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Sight Glass Replacement.
» Sight Tube
» Model 25-2 sight options?
» Marvel Sight Rail
» Lots of vertical error in my iron sight hold

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General :: Welcome!-
Jump to: