Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)

Go down 
+28
Yardley
albertj
Sir Psycho Sexy
LARRY70GS
matt270avian
highwaywarrior
98riv
bigdave
charlieRobinson
mike97
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
knuckled1
crlombardi69
Eldo
AA
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
Natesriv
xxsupergman25xx
Rickw
L67
RivGuy
1998 Riv
Ash
96RIVMANN
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Write-up is below. For questions & discussion on coupler replacements, please see:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9160-faq-best-sc-coupler-for-supercharged-riviera

___

Just replaced my coupler with one I bought off ebay from seller darossillcusa and wanted to report that it took me about 1.5 hrs to complete the job. Removed the alternator, sucked out all the stinky oil, and pulled the snout. Finished it up by applying some loctite 518 and all is well now. No more rattle at idle.
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Ah yes, the rattle-free supercharger. Verry nice. It's not that bad a job is it? And a great write-up on this site too.

That's actually the first thing I did to mine. (Purchased about one year ago.)

Cheers
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 am

Paul, was this a black OEM style coupler? Hope you got one of the green longer wearing ones such as ZZP and Intense offer.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Yep, it was indeed the green one.
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Can the coupler be replaced without removing SC? How much is the coupler?
Bob
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:36 pm

RivGuy wrote:
Can the coupler be replaced without removing SC? How much is the coupler?
Bob

Yes all you have to do is remove the snout which is the part with the pulley. It's held on by a few bolts and isn't too hard to get off. Depending on what coupler you buy its between $15 and $30 IIRC. ZZPerformance.com has them.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

On the 1995, you have to remove the whole SC first, then the snout.
From what I've read.
Look in the "Write Ups" section for a detailed explanation of how to R&R coupler.
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:28 pm

What type does a 96 have?
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:54 pm

m90 u can just remove the snout. its pretty easy from what ive seen. much easier then the dreadful 95
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Okay, on my To Do list was replacing the coupler for the s/c.

An easy job, smelly, but easy.

Here's some pics

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) Standard
First remove alternator (disconnect negative battery terminal first)

then suck out the oil (about 2.2 fills of this syringe thing) Smells like a diaper! A used diaper!

dispose of it. I didn't want to mix it with my used motor oil as I think it will leave a smell forever!

Remove the bolts holding the s/c in place. 10 mm (some also say 3/8's" ) . OH BEWARE THERE'S ONE ON THE VERY BOTTOM. I LOOKED 3 TIMES DIDN'T SEE IT, COULDN'T GET S/C SNOUT OFF...HAMMERING AND WEDGING...LUCKILY BEFORE I F'ED UP I CHECKED WEB AND SURE ENOUGH...I'D MISSED THAT BOLT ON BOTTOM!!

snout off. a little oil, but not too much

old coupler. looks fine, but does have about 1/16' wiggle..enough to make a rattle

new coupler on, very tight fit...hammer gently on to snout. then line up with s/c on engine and bolt back into place

the kit came with a red gooey gasket material. I used it liberally as I had nicked the aluminum finish trying to wedge snout off (didn't know I'd missed a bolt) You see it sqeezing out the edge there?

That's it, took longer than I expected as I wasn't aware of the last bolt..could have been bad if I had kept prying, but I found it, it came off no problem and all is well..

I will keep my eye on the oil level for the next week to ensure I didn't mess anything up. The s/c is aluminum and I scratched the mating surfaces a little, so I dremmeled the nicks out...and the gasket material is gooey enough to fill void....but I'll keep checking.

BUT, I have earlier posts talking about a shuddering noise when I'm at idle in drive at lights & such...well, after this new coupler, it doesn't do that anymore...

I'm not sure the coupler was the problem, it could have been a belt issue or the power steering hoses (I wiggled them some...could that have been it??)

Anyway, she's back on the road!

Last edited by Natesriv on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks Nate,
We finally have photo's of a series 2 SC coupler change.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks!

There's actually another post on this out there on the webtubes

http://www3.sympatico.ca/aepa/blowerinstall.html

Thank goodness for it!

It's an easy fix everyone, if you've got that wobble in the s/c snout and a rattling sound (especially when you shut car off and you hear a rattle for a split second).

I'm glad I did it smile
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Perfect..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm

are we sure the bolts are 10mm? i seem to recal almost striping the bolts at some point b/c i was using the wrong socket. however i cant remember if the correct one was 10mm or 3/8. anyone want to run out and see which one has less play?

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm

3/8
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:43 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
3/8

Same on M62?
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 am

I edited it to 3/8's...Never tried standard size... it seems a mix under the hood then...the s/c pulley is 15mm
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:47 am

Maybe because the SC is made by Eaton in the USA they used standard hardware.???/
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am

Those are most definitely metric bolts, they are 10 mm heads and have a metric thread. However, like the Valve Cover bolts, the heads are small for some reason and you need a 6 pt socket or you'll just twist right off. Even a 6 pt socket is hard to do, sometimes it's just easier to use a 3/8 socket. But they really are a 'metric' bolt, based on the metric thread.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks again for the correction and clarification.
I haven't done my coupler yet, although it needs replacing. Will probably do it as soon as I can get some shop time next month.

Last edited by Rickw on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 am

I have always used a 10mm deep socket as well. They aren't torqued particularly tight, so never had an issue getting them loose.

Edit: if 3/8" fits, I'd use it. It's a slightly smaller size compared to 10 mm.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Nice write-up.

(3/8" = 9.525 mm) I really can't remember what socket I used when I did mine last Spring.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Good job, Nate.

I don't think I've ever seen SC oil that color before, has it ever been changed?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 5:02 pm

that's the usual color of a decomposed whale....gooooo budah!!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Eldo wrote:
Good job, Nate.

I don't think I've ever seen SC oil that color before, has it ever been changed?
Mine was that color also when I changed it at about 80K miles. Assumed it was original fluid based on the previous owner telling me that the trans fluid had never been changed because the book didn't say you had to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next