Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)

Go down 
+28
Yardley
albertj
Sir Psycho Sexy
LARRY70GS
matt270avian
highwaywarrior
98riv
bigdave
charlieRobinson
mike97
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
knuckled1
crlombardi69
Eldo
AA
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
Natesriv
xxsupergman25xx
Rickw
L67
RivGuy
1998 Riv
Ash
96RIVMANN
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 pm

No gastket, just a thin bead of RTV or whatever came with your coupler.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 pm

This site is awesome! Riv Owners RULE!

Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

Name : daryl

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Ok, replaced snout with sealant, put it back together and still leaking, what do I use to clean off the sealant and reapply? Im thinking I either didmt tighten it correctly or I puttoo much sealso it didnt close all the way? Also I failed to mention that when I pulled the snout off, partof the upper intake gasket came off with it...isnt that the part that some of you cut off?

When you say thin, how thin is a thin layer
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:23 pm

By thin I mean about the diameter it flows out of the squeeze tube. As long as it you get all the way around without any gaps, it shouldnt leak? When we did mine, the gasket maker was only a few mm. Its weird that you're still getting a leak after removing it and putting new gasket maker in. Did you let the gasket dry good before filling with oil? And does the surface you apply the RTV stuff to look corroded where it would not sit flush?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 pm

There must be some damage or debris on the mating surfaces. I used NO sealant when I assembled mine, and it doesn't leak a drop.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:20 pm

I will take it apart again, recommendations for cleaning debris, sealent off? Im willihg to bet I didnt let it dry. Now, let it dry before I put it back together, or put it together and then let it sit?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 am

I always use a razor blade to clean off all of the debris. And I meant put it together and let it dry, before adding the oil again! Like AA said though, if the surface is clean and nit damaged or worn in any way, it should be flush enough that the gasket is only insurance.
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:13 am

Alright cool, so remove it, clean off with razor, reseal, let dry first before adding oil, how long did you let it sit?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:23 am

Most people say it takes a few hours to cure and around 24hrs to dry. If you wait 2-3 hours that should be fine but if you not dependent on the car to go somewhere right away might as well let it set a bit longer!
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:26 am

Alright thats what I will do then. Thanks
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 am

Son of a b.... took the snout off again for the second time, resealed it, its still leaking, what sequence was use dto tighten the bolts down? ! Im about to give up
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 am

i think i have my old snout around here somewhere. needs cleaned and the old drain plug taken out (stripped head) and of course a new one put back ( 8 bucks gm dealer). if ya want it its yours just pay shippin. let me know and ill look for it
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 pm

I feel like you either messed the snout up, or you're not using enough sealant. Maybe post some pictures of the bare metal and how much sealant you're using? Is the belt lining up right and not squealing?
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Belt is lined up correctly, no squealing . seems to be coming out of the bottom. How did you guys tightened the bolts? Top to bottome, left to right etc. As far as the sealant goes. When I put the bead around the snout, am I supposed to spread it out into a thin layer or no?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 4:58 pm

I know this is a little extra work, but by removing the entire supercharger you can have better visibility as to where the leak is coming from. The blower should hold SC oil off the car. It will also permit you to replace the SC gasket with a fresh one.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 5:04 pm

highwaywarrior wrote:
Belt is lined up correctly, no squealing . seems to be coming out of the bottom. How did you guys tightened the bolts? Top to bottome, left to right etc. As far as the sealant goes. When I put the bead around the snout, am I supposed to spread it out into a thin layer or no?
tightening order doesn't really matter. RTV should be very very thin, but some guys don't even use it. The surfaces are machined and should seal just by tightening. The surfaces aren't gouged are they? Or perhaps its your snout seal thats leaking?

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Hm, i dont mind taking her apart again. I didnt look damaged or anything when i cleaned it off again, the second time. Also when i took it off. The red sealant wasnt even on the machined surface it spread to the outer parts. So here what i will do, take the sc off and see where its leaking. Take the snout off and use a different sealant RTV high temp?

Snout seal looks good lol
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyThu May 17, 2018 5:43 pm

I've developed a choo-choo train sound which seems to be coming from the SC snout -

What do you think?

Incidentally, the chirruping you could hear in my new alternator @1:00 here appears to have gone away -

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyMon May 21, 2018 10:59 pm

For future ref Abaddon says the SC coupling makes a rod knock sound at idle (only at idle), so that rules one possibility out.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 3:24 am

I ran the engine with the SC belt off, the choo choo sound is definitely coming from the SC.  I checked the SC oil level, that's fine.  I can't feel any play in the coupler, but I can hear some little impact sound back at the base of the snout when I switch directions rocking the pulley back and forth.  If there is an play it has to be tiny, like a 1/32 or 1/64.  Turning the pulley doesn't feel buttery smooth, but there's nothing that jumps out and says "this is a bad bearing."  I guess it could be, but from what I've been reading so far the bearing is not likely to fail.  I'll keep an eye on this and see what happens, unless someone spots a/the problem.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 8:35 am

That doesn't sound right to me. When you spin it, it should be relatively noise free. Yours is making a "zipper" type sound. Unless it's the video making some weird feedback.

Correct on the coupler noise. The coupler has 6 holes, with 3 on each side. They're offset of each other. The snout gear has 3 pins, and the rotor gear has 3 pins. The coupler is what mates the whole unit together. Over time, the (not metal) coupler wears out, and the holes oblong.
The 3800 naturally misfires at idle. Those misfires, cause a momentary "stoppage" of the S/C, which causes the pins to slam against the coupler. The sound gets worse as the engine warms up. If you ever hear a knock from the upper engine area, put a stethoscope (or screwdriver) on the S/C and to your ear......
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 10:05 am

Abaddon wrote:
That doesn't sound right to me. When you spin it, it should be relatively noise free. Yours is making a "zipper" type sound. Unless it's the video making some weird feedback.

Correct on the coupler noise. The coupler has 6 holes, with 3 on each side. They're offset of each other. The snout gear has 3 pins, and the rotor gear has 3 pins. The coupler is what mates the whole unit together. Over time, the (not metal) coupler wears out, and the holes oblong.
The 3800 naturally misfires at idle. Those misfires, cause a momentary "stoppage" of the S/C, which causes the pins to slam against the coupler. The sound gets worse as the engine warms up. If you ever hear a knock from the upper engine area, put a stethoscope (or screwdriver) on the S/C and to your ear......

The coupler noise is one of a few, only a few sounds from an SC 3800 that makes one think sudden death is imminent.

One of the others is the alternator bearing. Ever heard one of those failing? Sheesh, I thought I'd spun a bearing.

pirate
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySat May 26, 2018 1:19 am

Abaddon wrote:

The "zipper" sound is accurate, not an artifact. It sounds like it's coming from the pulley area, so maybe a bad bearing after all, unlikely though it may be?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2018 3:37 am

Looking at ZZP vs Intense snouts, the Intense rebuild is radically cheaper?

ZZP

Intense

I don't understand why there's such a price difference, but the Intense rebuild isn't so bad, if that's what I need.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 2:51 pm

SC snout is off, sounds like the bearing is bad?

Here's a couple pics of the bolt holes -

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 01_sc_snout_bolt_holes_by_jrxtin-dce0hb5

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 03_supercharger_gears_by_jrxtin-dce0gty

With the front bottom bolt out (easily missed), I was able to pry the snout off using a crowbar against the accessory tensioner to break the snout loose. The snout was glued on pretty good, but nothing the crowbar couldn't handle.

I looked at the coupler and I bet it's already been changed, I can find no play in it at all. Unless it can't take extra boost, I see no reason to change it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)   Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Supercharger Coupler Replacement (Series II)
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next