Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Pulsing headlights

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tank
Enthusiast
Tank

Name : Shawn
Merit : 1

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Hey guys im back already happy . Just a quick one this time. For some reason my lights inside and out pulse. Even when I am going down the road at speed. My alternator is charging fine I tested that tonight. Could it maybe be my belts?? They are pretty cracked looking like they need replaced.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 pm

this is almost always a voltage regulator problem. Regulator is in the alternator.

Who tested the alternator, what did they tes, and how was the test conducted? Test will come out different at home with an ammeter versus in a shop that has variable load equipment that's used, and different still depending on other factors.

Do tell.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Tank
Enthusiast
Tank

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Well I had the genisys hooked up to it. It said it was doing 14.0 or something like that. I didnt do a full test on it I suppose. I just saw it was charging
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:37 am

If it's a fairly fast pulse, a digital meter often won't show it... you'll just get the average voltage. It could be the regulator, but it could also be the rectifier diodes.

Either way, only an old analog meter would probably show it, but you can do one more test if you have a multimeter: Connect the meter to the battery or the jump-start connector, and then check both DC voltage and AC voltage... A DMM with the horizontal bar at the bottom might show meandering voltage on the DC, and if you have any AC, then the rectifier is shot.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:45 am

In addition to the voltage regulator, it COULD be bad/rusty grounds, loose cables on the alternator or battery... Make sure the engine ground strap is present and well connected, it should be above the starter on a trans bellhousing bolt to the body close by.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Enthusiast
Tank

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:48 am

Thanx again guys...ive asked so much in a short time lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulsing headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsing headlights   Pulsing headlights Empty

Back to top Go down

Pulsing headlights
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: