Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector

Go down 
+9
GMFreak8
ZEP
turtleman
deekster_caddy
T Riley
Mr.Riviera
AA
Rickw
Eldo
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Rickw wrote:

...you have to consider the car cost's upwards of $40,000 new.

Adjusted for inflation, perhaps. The highest original price I've seen was $34-35,000, with the moonroof... Still a goodly sum, though.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Adjusted for inflation, perhaps. The highest original price I've seen was $34-35,000, with the moonroof... Still a goodly sum, though.

I stand corrected, if that truly is the case. I thought I've seen window stickers showing closer to 40k fully loaded for later model cars 98 & 99.
But then again, that was sticker. 34-35k was probably closer to actual sale prices.
I still think that is a lot considering the years these were sold. That was a lot of money for a luxury coupe. If you compare it to their marketing of the Cadillac being the true luxury car of the GM brand.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 pm

ZEP wrote:
On topic, though, I've had to purchase a bunch of replacement parts for inside/outside the car over the years and everything I've bought has always been priced extremely high.

I owe Zach an apology as he is absolutely correct. In the course of trying to maintain, as well as bring our cars up to our standards, it is becoming more and more expensive. We all have to maintain our cars and most of us try to be impeccable in that regard and in doing so it does cost more than other cars.
So to start out with a car that may not have a cost a lot, used, compared to the value of the car we were getting it is costing increasingly more to maintain these cars in an as new condition due to the obsolescence of parts and just the general maintenance of keeping an older car running in top notch condition, as they should be.
Not to mention the never ending quest for adding performance and interior enhancements.
So once again I say I'm sorry to Zach for jumping all over him earlier. And he is correct about the cost's to maintain, for what is to most of us, our pride and joy.
The Riviera.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but what splash shield are we talking about?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 pm

The black, quarter-moon-shaped panel beneath the front of the engine, with an extra little air-dam on the leading edge for scraping on driveways.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I just scraped mine a few days ago leaving a driveway with a ridiculous incline... Just hope it will hold up so I don't have to get another. lol
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

I stand corrected, if that truly is the case. I thought I've seen window stickers showing closer to 40k fully loaded for later model cars 98 & 99.
But then again, that was sticker. 34-35k was probably closer to actual sale prices.
I still think that is a lot considering the years these were sold. That was a lot of money for a luxury coupe. If you compare it to their marketing of the Cadillac being the true luxury car of the GM brand.

My 98 has every option but onstar and the total price was $36,485 on the window sticker. According to these two sites http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/ and http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm my car would cost around $48,500 in 2010. I don't know how accurate the calculators are, so take it with a grain of salt.

Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 1:16 am

98riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

My 98 has every option but onstar and the total price was $36,485 on the window sticker. According to these two sites http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/ and http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm my car would cost around $48,500 in 2010. I don't know how accurate the calculators are, so take it with a grain of salt.

You had the factory subwoofer and integrated alarm (not the theft deterrent)?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

albertj wrote:
98riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Albertj

To my knowledge there was no factory subwoofer offered or an integrated alarm offered on a 1998 Riviera. I have never heard of anyone having a factory subwoofer or an integrated alarm. I just checked the book that we received from the dealership and it doesn't mention anything about a subwoofer or any alarm different than the theft deterrent.

Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Eldo wrote:
The black, quarter-moon-shaped panel beneath the front of the engine, with an extra little air-dam on the leading edge for scraping on driveways.

Oh yeah. Funny I came across this thread and I just scraped mine on an incline yesterday. No damage though. Only issue I have with it is a piece that falls down from time to time on the passenger side right below where the fuse box is.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

98riv wrote:

To my knowledge there was no factory subwoofer offered or an integrated alarm offered on a 1998 Riviera. I have never heard of anyone having a factory subwoofer or an integrated alarm. I just checked the book that we received from the dealership and it doesn't mention anything about a subwoofer or any alarm different than the theft deterrent.

Well, GM calls everything Theft-Deterrent: The radio TheftLock, the PASS Key vehicle theft-deterrent, and the Security system content theft-deterrent... By my definition, any of these cars with the flashing yellow Security light on the dash has an integrated alarm.

The PASS Key disables the fuel & starter, but every time you lock the car with the remote or the power-locks, you set the alarm, which has tamper switches on the door and trunk locks. If you want to test it, roll down the window, hit the power lock and then unlock the door with the manual lever and open it... Use the keyfob, door key or ignition key to shut it down.
This reminds me - can thieves just carry a hacked PASS Key module around with them and plug it in under the dash to steal a car?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 pm

98riv wrote:
albertj wrote:
98riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Albertj

IIRC they are on the old parts fiche, when I get 'em back I'll post numbers.

[EDIT]

The alarm and subwoofer maybe were imaginary on my part, or a misread of the speakers listed on the fiche - I apologize.

I did find these options - maybe they were dealer installs:

6-CD changer, 12344643
10-CD changer, 12370286
12-CD changer, 12371528

Thanks for the correction.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:24 pm

It's always been a source of some confusion.
The FSM and Fiche may refer to them, yet nobody that has a 98 or 99 has ever had them installed from what I have heard on here.
I did see someone selling a Monsoon head Unit for a 98 or 99 Regal on another board and was wondering is that any better than what we currently have.
It looked identicale from the face of the unit to what we have in our cars.
I was tempted to make him an offer of about $15.00 because he was having a hard time selling it to the crowd he was trying to sell it to. I think he was actually down to 30.00 and begging for someone to take it off his hands as he wanted to continue cleaning out the garage.
But in the end i just didn't know if it would fit or if it was any better,
One other thing i have noticed from laying in the trunk, on my back, to do some speaker wiring, I have noticed another harness just deadended in the area where the PAU's had the CD changers installed in the trunk. Just an observation but don't know what that harness is for..
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Rickw wrote:
It's always been a source of some confusion.
The FSM and Fiche may refer to them, yet nobody that has a 98 or 99 has ever had them installed from what I have heard on here.
I did see someone selling a Monsoon head Unit for a 98 or 99 Regal on another board and was wondering is that any better than what we currently have.
It looked identicale from the face of the unit to what we have in our cars.
I was tempted to make him an offer of about $15.00 because he was having a hard time selling it to the crowd he was trying to sell it to. I think he was actually down to 30.00 and begging for someone to take it off his hands as he wanted to continue cleaning out the garage.
But in the end i just didn't know if it would fit or if it was any better,
One other thing i have noticed from laying in the trunk, on my back, to do some speaker wiring, I have noticed another harness just deadended in the area where the PAU's had the CD changers installed in the trunk. Just an observation but don't know what that harness is for..

The deadend harness in the trunk is probably for a CD changer, pls see my edited post above

Albertj
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Jesus auto parts have as big of a markup as electronic accessories (HDMI cables, etc), Makes me hate paying retail for this stuff.
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:02 am

Yeah, I ran a parts store for 7 years and some of the markup would make you sick. Like those $30 brake pads, most places pay about $3 - $5 a set, maybe a lil more, but not much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:32 pm

BrianEsser wrote:
Yeah, I ran a parts store for 7 years and some of the markup would make you sick. Like those $30 brake pads, most places pay about $3 - $5 a set, maybe a lil more, but not much.

Sounds like the markup on car parts are better than markup on electronics even. The electronic store I worked at only basically made money on accessories and service plans. Essentially made nothing on TVs or other major electronics. Markup on a 1000 TV was like $100 at most. Of course the HDMI cables and whatnot cost then about 3-5 dollars and they'd sell them for anywhere between $39 and $130. People still bought them. I worked on commission, but even then I'd tell people not to buy the cables. I just didn't feel right selling them something like that (unless of course the boss was watching) lol.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Sorry AA. I have a habit of going off topic online and in person.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:04 pm

No problem; all fixed.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector   Parts prices are shooting up...  Splash shield/Deflector - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Parts prices are shooting up... Splash shield/Deflector
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2