The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Larry
Age : 61
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1581
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:56 pm

98riv wrote:
I have water leaking in the trunk around the bolt for the trunk hinge.  Is the bolt attached to the trunk hinge and what is the best way to seal it?  It looks like the factory sealed it with some tar like material.


Mine leaked there also. I used some clear silicone around the attachment points and that sealed it.

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
98riv
Moderator


Location : USA
Joined : 2007-01-14
Post Count : 965
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:39 pm

So I ended up loosening the nuts and lifted the hinge and put some seam sealer around the holes. It stopped the water leaking around the bolts, but I am still getting some water coming in around a seam where two panels meet. I'll have to double check the seam in the trunk channel to see if I missed a spot.

_________________
1998 Supercharged Riviera - Custom CAI, Alpine spx-13ref, Infinity 6x9's, Alpine 4 Channel Amp, Kicker KX3, Silverstars, STB, Hawk Brake Pads, Monroe Air Shocks, KYB GR2
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 46
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7717
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:26 pm

The factory seam sealer can dry out and shrink. It's worth looking at all of it. It may need to be peeled off and re-sealed. Seam sealer is cheap! wink Are you in a hot/dry climate? (just curious)
Back to top Go down
98riv
Moderator


Location : USA
Joined : 2007-01-14
Post Count : 965
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
The factory seam sealer can dry out and shrink. It's worth looking at all of it. It may need to be peeled off and re-sealed. Seam sealer is cheap! wink Are you in a hot/dry climate? (just curious)

The factory seam sealer was dried out and falling apart, so I had removed the old and applied new seam sealer. I must have missed a spot the first time around. I don't live in a dry climate.

_________________
1998 Supercharged Riviera - Custom CAI, Alpine spx-13ref, Infinity 6x9's, Alpine 4 Channel Amp, Kicker KX3, Silverstars, STB, Hawk Brake Pads, Monroe Air Shocks, KYB GR2
Back to top Go down
MINIGUN
Rookie


Name : Paul
Location : lebanon, Pa
Joined : 2018-05-05
Post Count : 10
Merit : 0

PostSubject: wet under passenger seat   Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:32 pm

The carpet only gets wet in the small depression directly under the seat, about the size of a text book
firewall to front seat mount, dry
Footwell for back seat, dry
under driver seat dry

There is no evaporator in the center console for the rear seats is there?
Could there be that much condensation in the air vents for this?

We have been having dew points into the 70's
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6095
Merit : 106

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 pm

MINIGUN wrote:
The carpet only gets wet in the small depression directly under the seat, about the size of a text book
firewall to front seat mount, dry
Footwell for back seat, dry
under driver seat dry

There is no evaporator in the center console for the rear seats is there?
Could there be that much condensation in the air vents for this?

We have been having dew points into the 70's

What part of your carpet is getting wet.???
Can't tell from your post. It's a bit confusing.
Is it the passenger side where the heater core could be leaking. Does the moisture feel sticky or is it just water.????
Back to top Go down
MINIGUN
Rookie


Name : Paul
Location : lebanon, Pa
Joined : 2018-05-05
Post Count : 10
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:40 pm

It is not wet up front on the passenger side, just under the passenger seat and behind seat and behind in the foot well. I also found some water in the battery well.
It is water not any auto fluid.
Not sure where the A?C evaporator housing drains out.
Up front off the fire wall I hope.
It has been a crazy year with rain in central Pa.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6095
Merit : 106

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 pm

MINIGUN wrote:
It is not wet up front on the passenger side, just under the passenger seat and behind seat and behind in the foot well. I also found some water in the battery well.
It is water not any auto fluid.
Not sure where the A?C evaporator housing drains out.
Up front off the fire wall I hope.
It has been a crazy year with rain in central Pa.
Do you have a Sunroof. The drains in them are known to get clogged and if someone try's to clear the drains with compressed air it will dislodge the drain tubing and cause water to find it's way anywhere it can. Just a thought.
If that is the case the headliner has to come down to fix the problem.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7008
Merit : 134

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Rickw wrote:
MINIGUN wrote:
It is not wet up front on the passenger side, just under the passenger seat and behind seat and behind in the foot well. I also found some water in the battery well.
It is water not any auto fluid.
Not sure where the A?C evaporator housing drains out.
Up front off the fire wall I hope.
It has been a crazy year with rain in central Pa.
Do you have a Sunroof. The drains in them are known to get clogged and if someone try's to clear the drains with compressed air it will dislodge the drain tubing and cause water to find it's way anywhere it can. Just a thought.
If that is the case the headliner has to come down to fix the problem.

The other thing you may have to do is obtain a replacement evaporator drain hose for the AC drain. A good parts counter person may be able to help you find one that will fit; on the Riv it's the one with a round flat mounting that has 3M trim adhesive donut on it, and a 90 degree elbow, and a spout end that looks like a duck bill. They were used on a number of these cars. You may be able to find one at a junkyard. Over time the adhesive dries and the part falls off -- or shady mechanics take them off your car when it's in for service, to put them on their own (you can glue it on with silicone). On these cars in "AUTO" HVAC mode, the AC runs all the time and for some reason, if the drain nipple is missing then the carpet usually gets wet as you describe. In my experience the $(*#&($* drain hose has to be in place.

If you can not get one through the parts counter or at a junkyard you can make one up with a rubber 12" hose 90 degree elbow, a piece of sheet rubber (think inner tube) and rubber tire patch cement.

THere is a picture on this page that will help a lot in identifying it if it is there and making it up if it is not:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t20405274-evaporator_drain_line_located

Picture shows such a tube on a '03 LeSabre. It's the same mounting. On the Riv the elbow is a simple 90 degree straight down that ends in a duckbill-looking slit.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
avatar

Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 6480
Merit : 85

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 pm

FWIW the FSM says to replace the airbag components under the seat if the carpet gets damp.  Seriously, it says that.  According to the FSM, if you leave the window down in the rain, it's enough to damage the airbag system.  Hard to believe anyone would design a car that way, but that's what it says.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Member


Name : Dmitry
Joined : 2016-08-28
Post Count : 52
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am

From my personal expirience - not sure if it proves anything.
After my airbags deployed in a crash, I got my airbag module replaced, the one under the passenger seat. Airbag warning light went out, the system was Ok, armed and ready to deploy again )
Then I fixed my AC and got soaking wet carpet as a side effect. Still, SRS was Ok for about a month after that. Then, one day, I was driving in a storm - I mean proper storm, with lightnings, thunders and heavy rain - and one particularly thick lightning struck about a mile away. Then I noticed airbag warning light, it was on again. I can't tell for sure if that lightning lit my light, but even if it hasn't, those events were seconds apart. It could be wet carpet, or lightning, or just a coincidence - I don't know. Anyway, I guess I'm lucky airbags didn't explode again )
Next thing to do - visual inspection of the airbag module. I hope I'll find burnt capacitor or something like that and after replacing it SRS will live happily ever after... but something tells me I'm gonna need another module.

Back to top Go down
MINIGUN
Rookie


Name : Paul
Location : lebanon, Pa
Joined : 2018-05-05
Post Count : 10
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:59 pm

I believe I found the drain. I had to get under the car. It is just behind the vertical plane of the fire wall on the passenger side of the tunnel entrance, it is just a rubber tube similar to 1/4" 0r 5/16" fuel line. It is up high & sticks out about an inch or so. Got the replacement gasket, just a foam doughnut. hopefully this will be straight forward? Any input as far as getting a good seal? Is one better to use silicone instead of the doughnut or use both.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
avatar

Joined : 2007-01-16
Post Count : 6480
Merit : 85

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 pm

DeepFrozen wrote:
From my personal expirience - not sure if it proves anything.
After my airbags deployed in a crash, I got my airbag module replaced, the one under the passenger seat. Airbag warning light went out, the system was Ok, armed and ready to deploy again )
Then I fixed my AC and got soaking wet carpet as a side effect. Still, SRS was Ok for about a month after that. Then, one day, I was driving in a storm - I mean proper storm, with lightnings, thunders and heavy rain - and one particularly thick lightning struck about a mile away. Then I noticed airbag warning light, it was on again. I can't tell for sure if that lightning lit my light, but even if it hasn't, those events were seconds apart. It could be wet carpet, or lightning, or just a coincidence - I don't know.  Anyway, I guess I'm lucky airbags didn't explode again )
Next thing to do - visual inspection of the airbag module. I hope I'll find burnt capacitor or something like that and after replacing it SRS will live happily ever after... but something tells me I'm gonna need another module.


I've never heard of that happening before, but I've often had lightning cause the landline phones to ring. The kind that has a handset with an antenna. I suppose I need to be specific, after all when I was young we had only had rotary dial-up phones, now we've got smart phones.
Back to top Go down
brutusk1
Member


Name : Brutusk
Location : Bothell, Washington
Joined : 2011-01-23
Post Count : 69
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Minigun,
Your water leak problem sounds exactly like the one I'm dealing with.  Water in the battery well indicates leakage at a body seam around the trunk hinge and then another seam concealed by the rear window rubber surround trim.  I've been wanting to do a write up on this, but haven't gotten to it yet. I doubt that the AC drain is your problem. I've been working on this for an embarrassingly long time.
Back to top Go down
 
FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems
Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: