Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems

Go down 
+36
matt270avian
98riv
Rivit
Lmck3
artlock
brutusk1
ythtok
KingHill97Riv
Pipes
Riv95SC
moldymac
ibmoses
99Rivman
95ParkAveUltra
Z-type
T Riley
Rickw
Mikel
joeliop
Jack the R
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
millerje18
playa
AA
1973gs464
manofmany
TonySmooth89
albertj
jdbell2004
Dj Brady
96RIVMANN
Chicken
robotennis61
jrockstangs
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:16 pm

The drain is on the engine side of the lower passenger side firewall. You may not be able to see it looking down thru engine compartment with hood open. If you don't see it that way then turn the steering wheel left all the way to lock and slide under on passenger side behind front wheel. Look up/feel firewall. You'll find it.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Oh no! A leak!   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Oh man...when it rains, the car becomes a mini-pool on the driver's side. However, lucky for me I think I know exactly where the car is leaking from.

You know how the roof is a 'panel' of its own? Well I sealed up those seams on both sides very carefully and neatly, and behold. The car still leaks. So the next time it rained I paid attention to where I first saw it start. I notice a spot of water the size of a quarter about 2 inches from the ceiling handle. Guess what's right above that? One of the moonroof drain tubes...

The trail of water continues down the A-pillar and onto the floor.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice before I start tackling the headliner?

Thanks,

-Andrew Z
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 4:02 pm

the holes in the moonroof should run down to the wheel well right behind the strut/shock. Make sure it isnt clogged up with dirt.

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Quote :
Well I sealed up those seams on both sides very carefully and neatly, and behold.
Do you mean you clogged the channels over the doors? I think those are there to help evacuate water down the C-pillars and rear of the car.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes that's what I meant because the seals looked a little dried and I thought they might be leaking into the ceiling of the car. Well, I checked the channel openings in the moonroof over and nothing was clogged so I decided to try something. I took off the ceiling pullstrap handle thing and the driver's visor as well as the A pillar cloth cover. What do I see and I gently bend the headliner down? A moonroof drain nozzle without a tube attached.

A little worried I'm missing the tube altogether, I bend the headliner down a bit more and find it lodged in a space right above where the visor screws in. Phew. I moved it, took about 4 seconds to connect it back up, leak tested, and put the car back together.

I'm SOOOOO glad I didn't have to take the headliner down to do this. It was a really bad leak and was making me nervous each time I saw rain on the radar.

Again, phew...
Back to top Go down
95ParkAveUltra

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 am

wow ima have to look into this. the back of my head liner is letting go. it was just alittle when i bought the car. now the complete back half is down. i am using push pins to hold it up for now. i am goin to rewrap it. but i just noticed the other day that it is wet. so i have a leak somewhere. it starts in the back passenger by the rear pillar. could this be a leaky back window. or shud i look in the same place z-type did? i had a feeling it was the moon roof but its not wet near the moon roof at all? its starting to creep up the passengers side by the handles. where should i look first?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 8:51 am

Z-type wrote:
Well I sealed up those seams on both sides very carefully and neatly, and behold. The car still leaks.
-Andrew Z
I'm glad you found the leak.
There is one thing to keep in mind about the roof panels on our Rivs, the black rubber trim piece that is visible in the seam is nothing more than a trim piece, it has nothing to do with the sealing/bonding of the roof panel to the pillars. Since there are no welds or fasteners holding the panel on, it is held on with the bond that seals it; if there was a leak there it would mean that the roof panel could be coming loose from the car, very unlikely since from what I have heard they are bonded on VERY well!
My best guess, as you found, is that if there is a leak in that area it would more than likely be a drain tube disconnected.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 8:59 am

95ParkAveUltra wrote:
i had a feeling it was the moon roof but its not wet near the moon roof at all? its starting to creep up the passengers side by the handles. where should i look first?
99Rivman wrote:
My best guess, as Z-Type found, is that if there is a leak in that area it would more than likely be a drain tube disconnected.
The foam that the fabric is attached to will generally hold the water until it is puddled full enough to run off, that is probably why it doesn't seem to be leaking near the moon roof? The headliner material might be effected by the leak but probably not, it will just separate with age.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 8:21 pm

99Rivman wrote:
Z-type wrote:
Well I sealed up those seams on both sides very carefully and neatly, and behold. The car still leaks.
-Andrew Z
I'm glad you found the leak.
There is one thing to keep in mind about the roof panels on our Rivs, the black rubber trim piece that is visible in the seam is nothing more than a trim piece, it has nothing to do with the sealing/bonding of the roof panel to the pillars. Since there are no welds or fasteners holding the panel on, it is held on with the bond that seals it; if there was a leak there it would mean that the roof panel could be coming loose from the car, very unlikely since from what I have heard they are bonded on VERY well!
My best guess, as you found, is that if there is a leak in that area it would more than likely be a drain tube disconnected.

That black rubber trim piece in the seam you mention. When doing a repaint how or would one go about removing/replacing that piece. I was just curious about trim like that...in the future when these cars need the rubber trim replaced if it is going to be possible. study

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: yet another leak   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Aside from my trunk leak, I have discovered yet another. I found the back floor to be absolutly soaked the other day when it was raining. I was in the car during the heavy rain and don't actually see where its coming in. Its just the back floor, its dry under the rear seat.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

At this point I'd be worried about karma... Try changing your name to notmoldy. smile
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Heh, yeah. These are the problems you get from buying an abandoned car. It has been sitting for at least 2 years outside, who knows how long it has been leaking.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

raise your back seat - is there water pooling up under there?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 3:38 pm

i had a acura legend that was sold to me by a good friend of mine.he bought it brand new in 88 and gave it to his daughter in 95. she went to college in 97 and the car sat in his driveway for 3 years.i bought it in 2000. it leaked like a sive. it had been sitting in the sun uncovered and all the seals shrank i guess. i removed all them ,cleaned them with soap and water,and armor alled the hell out of them. she remained leak free until 04. maybe try it?
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
raise your back seat - is there water pooling up under there?
I didn't see anything under there from that storm. I did notice after a ride in the rain there was a bit pooled under the passenger side wiring harness by the battery. I think that came in from the massive trunk leak during the drive.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 pm

Try putting talc powder, as Albert has previously suggested, on and around any place you could possibly suspect a leak to be coming from and hose the car down or wait for another rain storm and inspect all the seals and grommets that you put powder on. It could help you find the "Wet Spot".
I'm told it work's on fat chicks.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 pm

aghh rick? dats just gross
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 am

robotennis61 wrote:
aghh rick? dats just gross
OH, Tell me your not involved in the rumor.!!!!!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 am

ok,you got me. but i use tactile,not talc.
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

It rained again today and I noticed something of interest. Water seems to pool up between the plastic sill cover and the rubber weather stripping. I still don't see how its getting there. Looks like it runs down something into that small channel, then gets absorbed by the carpet under the sill cover.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Pic's with arrows pointing to the area's you are talking about would help a lot.

I admit, I don't know how to use the software that other people use, that allows them to put arrows and circle's and whatnot onto a picture they have taken then post on here.

It sounds simple enough but I don't have the software or experience.
If you do, that would be tremendously helpful in identifying where you are talking about.

Last edited by Rickw on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I'll do that. I dont know how to use that software either, I usually draw a crude arrow in paint brush lol.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Rickw wrote:
Try putting talc powder, as Albert has previously suggested, on and around any place you could possibly suspect a leak to be coming from and hose the car down or wait for another rain storm and inspect all the seals and grommets that you put powder on. It could help you find the "Wet Spot".
I'm told it work's on fat chicks.

I have no experience with the latter.

Be sure it's talc and not cornstarch. A cheap foot powder will work fine; be sure to read the label to make sure it does not have vegetable powder (corn starch) in the mix. Reason - you think you have interior mosture problems now, they will just get worse with cornstarch - it supports growth.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Albert Said: I have no experience with the latter.

Touche
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Why do I see this car turning into a powdery mess when I am done smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   wet carpet - FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next