Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Series I Supercharger... making noise?

Go down 
+20
BuickBoy
curious riv
zombiesarebad
deekster_caddy
etosino2009
steve314159
ewolfe0050
racing007s
Sag
1998 Riv
tm323
NO 4 EVR
Blowin95
Brad95Riv
supercharged_riv07
HirohataMerc
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
AA
BigTexKahuna
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
AA wrote:
Noise is from bad coupler, surging is probably from bad ignition wires.

X2 for coupler, but surging could be other things too. check vac lines, and replace the air filter and wires if they are old, then move on to wires if filter,plugs and lines are good. i like to start with the cheapest and go from there wink

agreed, and vacuum leaks are more common than you'd think. Those hard-nylon style vacuum lines get very brittle over time. Check that, especially where you just had the engine out. May be just moving some lines around caused it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 4:20 pm

How many miles are on the engine?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
zombiesarebad
zombiesarebad

Name : Brian
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:57 am

even though there's lots of play in the supercharger, i found that the noise actually seems to be coming from the auto-tensioner. I'm gonna try to get it replaced to today.

as far as the surging, you guys are right it's probably not the coupling. I'm just grasping at straws because my new engine has about 95k miles and brand new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, no vacuum leaks as far as i can tell. I am getting a check engine light and traction off light, but it's OBD I so I can't read the codes.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 6:29 pm

did you get a case learn after installing the new motor?
a misreading CKP sensor will cause a trac off light and CASE learn needed code.
assuming the series 1 is the same as the series 2.

any problems with a misreading tach?

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
did you get a case learn after installing the new motor?
a misreading CKP sensor will cause a trac off light and CASE learn needed code.
assuming the series 1 is the same as the series 2.

Not in this case. No case learn for S1 that I know of.
Back to top Go down
BuickBoy
Special
BuickBoy

Name : Dejeron

PostSubject: Possible SuperCharger Problem? Help appreciated!   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Well I have a 1995 Buick Riviera with just about 115k miles....

I was driving and I noticed at a light that I would hear a loud rattling noise comming from under the hood. Like rocks rattling....Only when stopped at a light in drive. Anyway buick told me that my bearing or bearings was bad (sorry cant remember which) my question is if its the bearing or bearing how much is it to get fixed?

Where is the bearing or bearings located on the supercharger?

and also I heard that a bad coupler can cause noise like this? I've never gotten my coupler change before fyi...could that maybe solve my problem?

right now my car is in the shop getting work done and I will talk to my mechanic about my supercharger tommorow but I figured I'd ask the pro's on this wonderful board! smile
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm not sure if the M62 coupler is as easy to change as it is on the M90 but if it is, I would go that route first before worrying about any of the gears in that. Hopefully some more 95 owners will chime in here. I don't have much experience with them. frown
Back to top Go down
BuickBoy
Special
BuickBoy

Name : Dejeron

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 9:24 pm

thank you for the response....yea I'ma check the coupler out first...hopefully that will solve that nasty noise I'm hearing....I posted in the wrong section too lol
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Agreed, the coupler is the big issue with these S/C's. They will eventually go bad. It only rattles at idle....Like DEMonte, I'm not familiar with the M62, but let's hope it's as easy as an M90 to replace.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 11:22 pm

As Eldo has pointed out, that write up along with a new coupler and fluid - purchased on-line, not thru GM, with a mechanic willing to do it per the write up will more than likely solve your problem.

When they go bad it does sound like a bucket of bolts or a bunch of rocks.

The usual Dealer Mechanic will tell you that you need a new SC or a Rebuild, but that is not your problem at 115,000 miles. Unless you have run the SC without lube and even then it is only the snout that will need rebuilding not the whole SC.
Do some reading and you shall understand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Series I Supercharger... making noise?   Series I Supercharger... making noise? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Series I Supercharger... making noise?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: