Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stock CD player...WTF?!

Go down 
+4
nigelf
albertj
deekster_caddy
VJD2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

Stock CD player...WTF?! Empty
PostSubject: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

So I burnt a new CD the other day, got ready to go to work and popped in the CD. The stereo won't play it. Keeps giving me an error message and pops out the CD. I tried another one I burnt and does the same thing. Lastly I tried a store bought CD and it works fine. WTF?

Do our stock stereo's not like burnt CD's?

If that it the case that stereo is being yanked out ASAP!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:31 pm

I remember having trouble with the stock stereo and some CD-Rs. Make sure you aren't using CD-RW either. Are you 'finishing' or 'closing' the disc when you burn it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 10:09 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
I remember having trouble with the stock stereo and some CD-Rs. Make sure you aren't using CD-RW either. Are you 'finishing' or 'closing' the disc when you burn it?

Also try burning at a lower (under 18x) speed; remember, the last Rivs were '99 models manufactured in November '98. And if you are burning with Windows Media Player tru turning off "Highmat."

Albertj
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 am

Make sure the CD you use is marked "Audio CD" it has a copyright file on it that you pay for when you purchase the blank CD's

There used to be a hack for sony and pioneer cd players that allowed you to play your own cut cd's

Nigel
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 12:49 am

Derek and Albert are both right.

I've burned a half-dozen discs (CD-R) and have had no trouble playing any of them in my '97. In my computer, however, I've often had problems with CDs & DVDs if I tried to use the fastest available recording speed...
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 am

deekster_caddy wrote:

I have the CD-R's not the CD-RW's and if I remember correctly I clicked finish/close CD because I had that same problem with another CD player.

albertj wrote:

Also try burning at a lower (under 18x) speed; remember, the last Rivs were '99 models manufactured in November '98. And if you are burning with Windows Media Player tru turning off "Highmat."

Albertj

I'm using Roxio CD creator classic and some times I use itunes but not this time. I'll try burning it at a lower speed and see if that helps any. I didn't put much thought into how old the stock CD player is and burning CD's wasn't that big back then.

nigelf wrote:
Make sure the CD you use is marked "Audio CD" it has a copyright file on it that you pay for when you purchase the blank CD's

There used to be a hack for sony and pioneer cd players that allowed you to play your own cut cd's

Nigel

I've never heard of that and the CD doesn't have any designation on it whether its a data or music disc. Didn't think they ever did that.

Eldo wrote:

I've burned a half-dozen discs (CD-R) and have had no trouble playing any of them in my '97. In my computer, however, I've often had problems with CDs & DVDs if I tried to use the fastest available recording speed...

Hmm, what program are you using to burn the disc?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I think the most recent thing I used was Burn My Files...
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:33 pm

They are right about the formatting but I think you should yank it and all the speakers for general principles! Go to something that lets you play a MP3 or iPod player.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:03 pm

sburch23 wrote:
They are right about the formatting but I think you should yank it and all the speakers for general principles! Go to something that lets you play a MP3 or iPod player.

For less than $100, you can put decent rear speakers in, and play MP3's through one of these (I bought the I-Mobile, and the only flaw is that you have to crank your volume up):

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.710
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 pm

VJD2 wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

I have the CD-R's not the CD-RW's and if I remember correctly I clicked finish/close CD because I had that same problem with another CD player.

albertj wrote:

Albertj

I'm using Roxio CD creator classic and some times I use itunes but not this time. I'll try burning it at a lower speed and see if that helps any. I didn't put much thought into how old the stock CD player is and burning CD's wasn't that big back then.

nigelf wrote:

Nigel

I've never heard of that and the CD doesn't have any designation on it whether its a data or music disc. Didn't think they ever did that.

Eldo wrote:

Hmm, what program are you using to burn the disc?

I used Windows Media Player.

Check in 'preferences' and try to reckon whether Roxio is defaulting to Highmat, which I don't think was out when our CD players were made.

Albertj

Albertj
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Well here's some info on copy right and CD AUDIO disks .. more a tax or levy but trust me there is a file on the disk....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#Blank_music_CDs_and_recorders
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 1:39 am

sburch23 wrote:

Ya I'm thinking that right about now. I already have a head unit laying around that will play dvds, mp3's and such. All I need is to pick up some nice replacement speakers. Eclipse, Alpine, Boston Acc perhaps?

Eldo wrote:

For less than $100, you can put decent rear speakers in, and play MP3's through one of these (I bought the I-Mobile, and the only flaw is that you have to crank your volume up):

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.710

Thanks for the suggestions but not a fan of having extra things in the car like that when I can just yank the head unit. I like clean dash and consoles although that is a neat idea.

albertj wrote:

I used Windows Media Player.

Check in 'preferences' and try to reckon whether Roxio is defaulting to Highmat, which I don't think was out when our CD players were made.

Albertj

I'm not finding that setting in Roxio. I might try Media Player then and see if I can find that setting just to resolve the issue until I figure out what to do.

nigelf wrote:
Well here's some info on copy right and CD AUDIO disks .. more a tax or levy but trust me there is a file on the disk....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#Blank_music_CDs_and_recorders

Well ain't that some shit?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am

...be sure to turn Highmat off.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:41 pm

If you are thinking of a new head unit, there a bunch of photos of nice installs here if you search.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 am

albertj wrote:

Albertj

I won't forget! Thanks.

sburch23 wrote:
If you are thinking of a new head unit, there a bunch of photos of nice installs here if you search.

I've been poking around and have seen a few. I have a headunit already out of one of my other cars I sold so I just need the harness and install kit. Then of course some upgraded speakers.

So far the aftermarkets haven't looked that bad. I hope my doesn't come out looking goofy.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 am

VJD2 wrote:
albertj wrote:

Albertj

I won't forget! Thanks.

sburch23 wrote:

I've been poking around and have seen a few. I have a headunit already out of one of my other cars I sold so I just need the harness and install kit. Then of course some upgraded speakers.

So far the aftermarkets haven't looked that bad. I hope my doesn't come out looking goofy.

If you get it from Crutchfield they will give you the install stuff needed to make it look decent and fit well, including jumpers to the factory speaker wiring.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Cool, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 12:13 am

albertj wrote:

If you get it from Crutchfield they will give you the install stuff needed to make it look decent and fit well, including jumpers to the factory speaker wiring.

Albertj

So true... That's why I spent $80 at Crutchfield on Rockford Fosgate Prime speakers for the rear instead of shopping eBay - they came with nice little converters for the weird GM speaker connectors. Swapping out both rear speakers required less than 20 minutes of painful contortions in the trunk.

Last edited by Eldo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 7:11 am

I use to have good luck with black CD-Rs in older players. I don't know if they still make them, and have yet to try them in my 97. Mine seems happy with memorex CD-rs, but the tracks get a hiss in them towards the end of the disc and burning them slower makes it worse somehow.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Quick question, what do I need to remove to get the stock headunit out of the dash. I can't take it anymore!!

Seems like the whole dash has to be taken apart!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Yep, dash face needs to be taken off. Be careful not to break anything.

See interior write-ups index: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/interior-write-ups-index-t1377.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 3:51 pm

The aftermarket writeup at https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/write-up-riv-dash-and-door-removal-t1187.htm is nice, except that somehow they didn't have to remove the top of the dash...

On my own car, and in the FSM, you have to start at the top and work your way down:

-Pull the A-pillar garnish moldings
-Remove the defroster grill
-Remove the side panels
-Remove the lower black trim panel with the push-button clips
-Remove the upper trim pad (the whole top of the dash)
-Disconnect the various electrical connections
-THEN remove the main dash panel...
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 am

Holy crap, what a PITA! Oh well, thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock CD player...WTF?!   Stock CD player...WTF?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock CD player...WTF?!
Page 1 of 1